• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies Tour of the UK 2017

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The beard winning Moeen-of-the-series as has to be.

Eoin saying the one thing we need to improve on is getting seam bowlers moving the ball, if only England had two World class bowlers around, known for moving the ball.....

Last edited:

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
That's not what we need though. Willey and Woakes can move the ball, in fact the former is only ever any good when doing so. The problem is it never moves in ODIs any more. Every ODI bowler needs to expect absolutely flat pitches with the ball doing nothing, or they'll never cut it. Bringing Jimmy and Broad in won't magically make the ball move - it sure didn't in the last World Cup.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rgardless of the last 2 games, there's no way Morgan should be left out for Roy, his 2017 has been much better then anyone in the team except for Root.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Rgardless of the last 2 games, there's no way Morgan should be left out for Roy, his 2017 has been much better then anyone in the team except for Root.
How does bairstow get in. Theres no way he can be left out now. Unless you leave out hales which would only be for non cricketing reasons

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Bairstow is ahead of Roy. Seems ridiculous that you're leaving Morgan out for Roy based on 2 good knocks now after a year of ****e whilst you ignore the year Morgan's had.

Bijed

International Regular
With that innings, Root finally got his ODI average up to 50. Got his 4000th ODI run too - third fastest to do so, apparently

Last edited:

Groundking

International Debutant
With that innings, Root finally got his ODI average up to 50. Got his 4000th ODI run too
He had already managed to get it above 50 earlier in the series. Also 3rd quickest to reach 4k ODI runs.

Top knock by Bairstow, thinking about it properly, surely it can only be one of Hales or Roy opening with Bairstow? Let Bairstow just do the anchoring job every game and let Root to go hard more often and Bairstow acting as foil to his opening partner. If only we had these kind of problems in the test side :(

Last edited:

Bijed

International Regular
He had already managed to get it above 50 earlier in the series.

Top knock by Bairstow, thinking about it properly, surely it can only be one of Hales or Roy opening with Bairstow? Let Bairstow just do the anchoring job every game and let Root to go hard more often and Bairstow acting as foil to his opening partner. If only we had these kind of problems in the test side :(
I think it ticked above 50 during some innings earlier but went back down below once he got out

Yeah, great innings from Bairstow, needless to say he's been very impressive this series. I guess Roy gets the other opening spot for a while since he's done well in these 2 games and Hales has been dropped for the Bristol thing.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Just glad the series is over tbh. Tests went as well as we could have realistically hoped. T20 was a regulation win which was no surprise as we're simply dominant in that form of the game. The ODI team is just in one big development phase at the moment. And I think that's exactly what we saw. Flashes of good play balanced by straight garbage. Evin Lewis was sensational in the last game and further enhanced his repuation as Gayle's air apparent. Injury is only three weeks apparently so should be fine. What worries me about him though is he appears to be very driven by t20 cricket and is seemingly more thirsty for an IPL contract than gaining a test cap (puke). Hope done well too in this game today and look classy as usual. Was also happy to see Joseph get a 5fer, and the much talked about Ambris finally get a start. I think his performance should see him hold on to his place for a while. He's a class act when he gets in and one can only hope he has another good first class season and pushes even more for a test place.

The bottom line is the bowling simply wasn't good enough and I'd like to think that this will be the last we see of the likes of Taylor, Cummings and Nurse. We simply need better quality moving forward. I'd dump Samuels and Bishoo aswell tbh. When Darren Bravo and Narine come back then that should make a big difference to the side. Not sure I'd bring back Gabriel or Roach tbh as they get injured too often an perhaps it's best to save them for the tests. Ronsford Beaton has been doing ok lately, and maybe Cotterrell is worth looking at again too.

I'd also think about giving Hetmyer and Blackwood a go in the ODI aswell because those two know how to get on with things and no get bogged down. We need to start building the side from now and get a solid unit together for when we enter into the world cup qualifiers. I'm confident we'll get the job done, but Zim, Ireland and Afganistan will no doubt be fighting tooth and nail to get one over us so we'll have to be very focused and professional when we get there.

Bahseph

State Captain
Sameuls needs to go. Unlike Gayle who is still a factor when he comes off, Other than a few T20 innings he hasn't contributed anything in Tests or ODIs for a long time.

TestMatch

U19 Cricketer
and the much talked about Ambris finally get a start. I think his performance should see him hold on to his place for a while. He's a class act when he gets in and one can only hope he has another good first class season and pushes even more for a test place.
I too was impressed with Ambris. Granted the bowling attack wasn't that strong, but he looked more at ease than the other WI batsmen. He scored at a good clip too.

Not sure I'd bring back Gabriel or Roach tbh as they get injured too often an perhaps it's best to save them for the tests.
I'd let them play ODIs. The WI ODI attack seems rubbish without them and/or Narine.

91Jmay

International Coach
Evin Lewis should be looking for a T20 contract. He's an absolute hack, no chance he can play Test cricket.

pdsubraa

Cricket Spectator
Irrespective of the results - I am really disappointed with England performance throughout the series. Looking forward for Ashes!