• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm not convinced by Livingstone myself - I'd give Pope a go - if he was an Afghan he'd be considered a veteran

Gremlin

U19 Vice-Captain
Jack Leach confirmed as having broken his left thumb.

Interesting to see where England turn to. I was never happy about Moeen playing in the IPL, he won't be test match ready, could this be an opportunity for Virdi?

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
It's all happening really when you consider that Vince is doing exactly what he basically never has done. Batting a long, long time with discipline. Brings up 300 balls as I write.

Gremlin

U19 Vice-Captain
If Vince can do that on a long term basis then the no. 3 slot is his. One swallow and all that though!

FBU

International Debutant
I'd say no to Stoneman and Vince. They have dropped to many catches.

Last Test alone
Vince drop off Anderson
Vince drop off Broad
Stoneman dropped off Leach
Stoneman dropped off Broad

91Jmay

International Coach
I’d give Clarke a go. He has the talent, has nowhere near fulfilled it and his record is **** but we are in position where we need to take a few gambles. Can’t play Virdi as a 19 year old with little experience against Pakistan. Could really knock the lads confidence

Moonsorrow999

U19 Debutant
Gubbins Burns Root Clarke Malan Stokes Bairstow Ali/Virdi Broad Stone/Porter Anderson

Would love to see ambitious approach and real look to the future. Cba watching Cook fail anymore.

S.Kennedy

I've revised my list, minus Leach (knackered),

Cook (truly on his last legs though? Gubbins is next in line)
Rory Burns
Bairstow+
Root
Malan
Joe Clarke
Stokes
Broad
Porter
Virdi
Anderson

theegyptian

I'm not convinced Moeen is going to want to come back from the IPL to play test cricket right now.

He basically admitted he was glad he was dropped in the end, and probably thought it should have happened earlier. (which is fair enough)
He hasn't had any FC cricket in the mean time to really work on his fc batting/ bowling.

If he doesn't really want to be there I'm not sure they should be selecting him. His mind surely won't be in the right place. He probably needs this break from the test game - and it's too short a period (just over a week which would include traveling from india) for him to get his mind and game back on test cricket.

Pre Leach injury I think they'd have been looking at only playing Ali in ODI and T20 cricket this summer and then take him in the squad to Sri Lanka and West Indies in the winter to cover different formations of teams.

Firebreaker

Banned
What a way to undermine your domestic competition by selecting a player on the basis of performance in a random league with flat pitches. England will probably whitewash Pak but I still expect Buttler to fail

Gremlin

U19 Vice-Captain
No to Jos return... please!! I would only like to see him playing tests for England on the back of 1000 county runs in a season and not before, irrespective of his undisputed talent.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Are they taking the piss?

This is worse than selecting somebody for a winter tour off the back of a matchwinning innings in a Natwest final, picking a proven test failure off the back of a week of good T20 scores in another continent is a total utter joke. I hope it is wrong.

Gremlin

U19 Vice-Captain
Confirmed, Buttler selected, Bairstow still keeps the gloves

Cook
Stoneman
Malan
Root
Bairstow (wk)
Stokes
Buttler
Bess
Broad