• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
''Selection: Art Or Science?''.

This is what was put to the candidates for the selector job.

Sounds like something David Brent would come up with.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What banter wankers can we expect when Talksport start covering the cricket?
Well they will have Gough and Cork, probably borrow Bumble off Sky and maybe Cowdrey will return from the abyss. Be interesting to see who they get actually.

SeamUp

International Coach
Test Team (At this moment until otherwise ?)

Stoneman
Cook
Vince
Root
Malan
Stokes
Bairstow
Woakes
Leach
Broad
Anderson

Reputation enhanced
100s
Pope
Northeast
50s
Eskinazi
Foakes
Hain

Wickets
Porter
Coad
Ball
C.Overton
Stone

Still waiting for runs
Hameed
Gubbins (injury)
Jennings
Livingstone
Clarke
Lawrence
Brook

Still waiting for wickets
Mahmood (injury)
Fisher (injury)
J.Overton (injury)
Garton (injury)

Up-and-coming spinners
Bess
Virdi
Parkinson
Crane

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Hildreth got a ton too, didn't he? Might've left it a bit late to break into the national team given he's nudging 34 now, but he does at least have an FC average north of 40, unlike the vast majority of England's other batting prospects.

Although I suppose he has had the advantage of playing half his games on the not-so-green, green concrete of Taunton.

Has Eskinazi qualified yet?

Pope looks interesting. Only 8 FC games & barely out of his teens, but a couple of tons already. If they're good enough, they're old enough and all that.

S.Kennedy

I heard Northeast is also buggered.

I would cite Luke Wells and Joe Denly (who says you have to be a whpper-snapper?) but truthfully, the opening ''green seamer'' fixtures have not really told us anything. I mean Ball now looks like Glen McGrath again. Coad and Porter? Business as usual.

The main issue is not whether or not the Coads and Porters can dibbly dob test teams out in England, but whether they can travel to Australia and India and actually look respectable.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Another ton for Ollie Pope today in an innings were Stoneman, Burns and Foakes scored 37 between them. Boy's in good nick.

Useful score from Malan too, although Glous's attack rather more friendly than the Tykes'.

SeamUp

International Coach
They won't be picking Pope/Brook no matter how encouraging the start. See Hameed etc

Jennings is back in business so if they change opener it is Jennings, Gubbins, Burns (unlikely as never got a call from a selector before)

To replace Vince is more tricky. Supposed next in line Livingstone has not scored a 50 in County Championship. Lawrence the same. If they skip Livingstone it will be Joe Clarke though but has he done enough?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Pope looks interesting. Only 8 FC games & barely out of his teens, but a couple of tons already. If they're good enough, they're old enough and all that.
He's a talent, but surely he's not played nearly enough FC games.
Plus he bats at 6 for Surrey, and I've long argued that anyone who bats for the national team should be in the top 4 for his county. Obviously that doesn't extend to all-rounders.

theegyptian

Porter not picking up many wickets in last few weeks.
Wouldn't mind taking a punt of Tongue. Stone is another longish shot but someone I've always rated highly.

I don't think Joe Clarke is ready personally. Needs to keep working on his game - but does keep scoring lots of runs.
Livingstone hasn't scored the runs of Clarke this season but I'd go with him and Gubbins.

So my 12 man squad would be

Cook, Gubbins, Livingstone, Root, Malan, Stokes, Bairstow, Leach, Broad, Anderson, Tongue/Stone, Woakes

Livingstone I think is more a 5 or 6 though ideally so unless Root is prepared to bat 3, with Livingstone at 4 I see that as a no go.