• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Don't want to get carried away (I mean, Keystone Jennings scored a ton on debut and we all know how that worked out) but young Danny Lawrence's encouraging 73 might mean our selectors are choosing the batting from a position of relative strength when Pope is (properly) fit and Burns and Sir Benjamin are available again.
burns needs runs in his next series or his card might just be marked.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah Burns the most likely to miss out long term but would cause issues with who bats at 3. Lawrence probably most likely but very early days of course.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep that looks good. I'm of the opinion that Crawley has earned an extended run in the team for the next few series, but I'm not sure about his credentials as a test match opener long-term

Liam Livingstone would be a bolter who I could see breaking into the test side in the next twelve months. Him and Buttler at 6/7 in certain conditions could be quite potent imo

Flem274*

123/5
Something like this?

Sibley / Crawley
Burns
Crawley/ Lawrence
Root
Stokes
Pope
Buttler
hmm that top three looks very raw dogging. roots allergy to scoring runs at #3 really screws over the balance of the side.

i haven't seen lawrence bat and i don't hate the others so i think id go with sibley/burns/crawley/root/stokes/pope and sorry to the debutant.

Essexboi

Cricket Spectator
I'd go for YBJ to open with Crawley in India. Obviously one of Sibley or Burns back in for pretty much everywhere other than the sub continent.
Crawley
Bairstow
Pope
Root
Stokes
Lawrence
Buttler/Foakes
Moeen
Archer/Wood
Leach
Broad/Jimmy.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Something like this?

Sibley / Crawley
Burns
Crawley/ Lawrence
Root
Stokes
Pope
Buttler
I'd be amazed if in the first test v India it isn't that with Lawrence missing out. Not sure by any means that by the end of the year we won't have had a few changes to the side though as we have a tough year ahead and not every player will survive.

Gremlin

U19 Vice-Captain
The England squad for India is a bit harsh on Bairstow isn't it? I get that they wanted all the multi format players to have a break and YJB has a lot of cricket ahead for 2021 but I'm sure he'd be bursting to prove a point, given the other decision to only play Buttler for a single Test. Why bother picking him at all for the series? Let him have the break early!

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
It's a bit weird, but truth be told Bairstow was extremely lucky to be in the squad for SL. Probably just a workload management thing and he'll be back for the final two tests tbh