• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Agreed with Pothas and Brumbers, reckon he'll be in Oz and managed through about the three fasted pitches.

FBU

International Debutant
Fast bowlers for Ashes in Australia
(Anderson, Broad, Archer, Wood, Stone, Stokes)

Brisbane - Broad, Wood, Archer, Stokes
Adelaide - Anderson, Archer, Stone, Stokes
Perth - Wood, Archer, Stone, Stokes
Melbourne - Anderson, Broad, Stone, Stokes
Sydney - Anderson, Archer, Wood, Stokes

Could be completely different bowlers by then due to injuries...

Australia - Cummins, Hazelwood, Starc, Pattinson, Jhye Richardson, Marsh (same role as Stokes or will Australia just play 4 fast bowlers and Lyon?)

grecian

Fast bowlers for Ashes in Australia
(Anderson, Broad, Archer, Wood, Stone, Stokes)

Brisbane - Broad, Wood, Archer, Stokes
Adelaide - Anderson, Archer, Stone, Stokes
Perth - Wood, Archer, Stone, Stokes
Melbourne - Anderson, Broad, Stone, Stokes
Sydney - Anderson, Archer, Wood, Stokes

Could be completely different bowlers by then due to injuries...

Australia - Cummins, Hazelwood, Starc, Pattinson, Jhye Richardson, Marsh (same role as Stokes or will Australia just play 4 fast bowlers and Lyon?)

Think Stone will be one of those players that will never be fit enough, reckon there's more chance of Jove, if they go with 3 out-and-out quicks.

Pothas

I know playing 5 seamers is generally nonsense but there is not a great deal of point in playing a spinner in Australia so would actually go Broad, Anderson, Archer and Wood.

Craig Overton had a great season last year so would not surprised if we see him again, I don't know if he has got significantly better or that is just his level. Think I remember something about him bowling quicker but could have just made that up.

grecian

I know playing 5 seamers is generally nonsense but there is not a great deal of point in playing a spinner in Australia so would actually go Broad, Anderson, Archer and Wood.

Craig Overton had a great season last year so would not surprised if we see him again, I don't know if he has got significantly better or that is just his level. Think I remember something about him bowling quicker but could have just made that up.
I think he's more of a replacement for Broad, not extreme pace, and we know this set of England selectors are obsessed by wheels. So the lesser bro has more chance of playing this time round I reckon. I am obvs hugely biased but I don't think Cove has ever looked that bad in an England jersey, just done nothing to excite, in a different era maybe on his 30th cap, but now he needed to do more in his matches.

Last edited:

Starfighter

If the pitches are as dry as they have generally been you'll want a spinner. But they have to your absolute best spinner, rather than being selected because they can bat a bit.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
How we shaping up for the world t20s coming up?

Archer's been the standout English performer at the IPL. Think if he stays fit and retains similar form England surely in with a reasonable chance even if they likely won't be favourites for the tournaments hosted in Australia and India.

We know more or less the batting personnel even if we don't know the order. Buttler, Bairstow, Roy, Morgan, Stokes, Ali, Malan + Root/Banton/Billings/Haleslol.

Bowlers to join Archer more up in the air. Rashid yes.
Then Jordan, Currans, Willey, Wood, Topley and others vying for spots in the squad and team.

Other teams with better bowling. Batting looks on a par with anything anyone else can put out. Fielding looks decent apart from Rashid, Ali and Malan of the likely starters - which is possibly one too many average fielders.

grecian

Yeah remarkable how up in the air the bowling is really, think Jordan is a cert though as well as Archer. Hope we go for a couple of left-armer of Topel, Willey, S curran, we are so samey so often.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I think he's more of a replacement for Broad, not extreme pace, and we know this set of England selectors are obsessed by wheels. So the lesser bro has more chance of playing this time round I reckon. I am obvs hugely biased but I don't think Cove has ever looked that bad in an England jersey, just done nothing to excite, in a different era maybe on his 30th cap, but now he needed to do more in his matches.
C Overton is quality and has definitely put on a yard of pace from the footage of the Bob Wlllis trophy final (Had Cook and Lawrence hopping around). Has looked decent in his test career and I'd back him to do well in Aus

I'd love TRJ to be in the mix but I think his time has past sadly

grecian

C Overton is quality and has definitely put on a yard of pace from the footage of the Bob Wlllis trophy final (Had Cook and Lawrence hopping around). Has looked decent in his test career and I'd back him to do well in Aus

I'd love TRJ to be in the mix but I think his time has past sadly
yeah, I think he's going to end up really unlucky like many of his ilk, unfashionable style of bowling plus injuries at wrong times.

FBU

International Debutant
Dan Lawrence on Lions tour to Australia, most wickets and runs. Maybe an option of playing him as the spinner. Bess was on that tour and also bowled 68 overs and only took 2 wickets at 88.50. Where do you fit him in though?

493 runs at 98.60
11 wickets at 23.00

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Dan Lawrence on Lions tour to Australia, most wickets and runs. Maybe an option of playing him as the spinner. Bess was on that tour and also bowled 68 overs and only took 2 wickets at 88.50. Where do you fit him in though?

493 runs at 98.60
11 wickets at 23.00
Lawrence had a pretty forget able domestic season, think they'll wait and see with him. If he's back in form when the ashes come around he will probably end up in the squad.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

493 runs at 98.60
11 wickets at 23.00
He has 9 First Class wickets in 74 games. He took a few jammy wickets on that tour but they're not gonna pick him as the spinner any time soon.

theegyptian

Whilst Lawrence isn't ever going to be a frontline spinner it's certainly not outside the bounds of possibility to see England turning out a 5 man seam attack in Australia with Root and Lawrence bowling some part time spin in test cricket.

Think Lawrence should definitely keep working on his spin bowling in the white ball cricket though. Lawrence has an easier route into the side than most young batsman in the county game given he bats in the middle order and bowls some occasional spin.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
With 2 subcontinent tours next up what should England be fielding in the test stuff?
Think
1.Sibley
2.Burns
3.Crawley
4.Root
5.Stokes
6.Buttler
7.Foakes+
For the batting think ths is the way to go, pope hard done by but he wasn't great in the home summer and will be coming back from injury when we tour, butter has done too well with the bat to be dropped but don't trust him keeping to spin on subcontinent pitches.

Bowling is a bit harder, 2 spinners+2 seamers and stokes is probably the way to go but not sold on bess at test level and there are not many other decent spinners who can partner with leach

8.Bess/Rashid
9.Archer
10.Broad/Anderson
11.Leach

Probably the best combination they can field but not sold on it.

Last edited:

theegyptian

I'd play Pope if he is fit. Continue his development.

A confident Moeen would have been nice to add experience and flexibility to the side/squad but that doesn't seem likely . He didn't even play fc cricket this summer when he was available unlike Bairstow. His confidence must be at rock bottom.

I'd play Leach and Bess. Who the third spinner they take I have no idea. That's why I hoped Moeen would be ok.
Rashid seems reluctant to play fc cricket which is fine. Let him concentrate on the white ball stuff where he does a good job.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'd play Pope if he is fit. Continue his development.

A confident Moeen would have been nice to add experience and flexibility to the side/squad but that doesn't seem likely . He didn't even play fc cricket this summer when he was available unlike Bairstow. His confidence must be at rock bottom.

I'd play Leach and Bess. Who the third spinner they take I have no idea. That's why I hoped Moeen would be ok.
Rashid seems reluctant to play fc cricket which is fine. Let him concentrate on the white ball stuff where he does a good job.
Crane picked up a few poles in the summer, didn't he? Bound to come into the discussion.

Starfighter

IMO Parkinson's the best long form leg spinner at the moment, but he bowls very slowly and isn't strong on the googly, and that style tends to get smashed in India.