• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

ImpatientLime

International Regular
next test is in india, correct?

if so then seems a no brainer to pick the superior keeper who will likely keep to a lot of spin and a guy who's forte with the bat seems to be facing spin bowling.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I'm normally annoyed at bringing in another allrounder and trying to manufacture a batting lineup by not picking batsmen.

On a horses for courses case, Foakes for Buttler makes sense, so it's all on whether Buttler for Pope is the best possible replacement for Pope. Given the summer, I'd say so.

Howe_zat

Audio File
However I would also be interested in an oppertunity for Dan Lawrence in the middle order depending on what sort of nick he's in at the end of the season.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
As the next series is likely to be either in SL, India or potentially the UAE Keystone Jennings will probably come into the discussion too...

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm normally annoyed at bringing in another allrounder and trying to manufacture a batting lineup by not picking batsmen.

On a horses for courses case, Foakes for Buttler makes sense, so it's all on whether Buttler for Pope is the best possible replacement for Pope. Given the summer, I'd say so.
Burns could be the other potential one to miss out with Crawley opening. Root at 3 is less of a problem in the UAE or wherever we end up playing.

Pothas

This would be a fun tour to try the NUFAN going for a draw away from home team

Burns
Sibley
Crawley
Root
Stokes
Pope
Buttler
Foakes
Moeen
Curran
Bess

Gremlin

U19 Vice-Captain
An in form Moeen would be one of the first names I'd have on a team sheet.

Whether we ever see an in form Moeen again is another matter...

Tom Flint

International Regular
As the next series is likely to be either in SL, India or potentially the UAE Keystone Jennings will probably come into the discussion too...
If we go with an opener with a good record in the scoring, I'd rather see hameed given his form has picked up

grecian

Gotta say, think Moeen's batting may be over, still would pick him as spinner alone in sri Lanka, because of his record, and ATM he's just better than Bess. Yet players like him often go quickly in batting when it's all about feel.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Calling for a Hameed return on the back of all of four games?

Any more kneejerk and you would be giving yourself a torn ACL, seriously

Tom Flint

International Regular
Calling for a Hameed return on the back of all of four games?

Any more kneejerk and you would be giving yourself a torn ACL, seriously
What are you on about? I was replying to the post above. I only said I would rather hameed than Jennings. I wasnt actually suggesting he should be called up

Howe_zat

Audio File
Jennings has a lot of previous on coming into the side for Asia tours and doing well. I think 'horses for courses' for openers isn't really put into practice enough compared to what they do with the bowling, so I wouldn't mind him being in the side.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Further to that -

Jennings in Asia: 5 tests, 400 runs at 44, best of 146*
Jennings outside Asia: 12 tests, 381 runs at 17, best of 48.

Bizarre for an England player. Mohammed Hafeez numbers.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He should be inked in given his record of playing spin in the same way he is already ruled out of the ashes as he is so bad against pace.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
What are you on about? I was replying to the post above. I only said I would rather hameed than Jennings. I wasnt actually suggesting he should be called up
Let me put it this way, if Jennings fails, that just more or less confirms what we already know about him, nothing really lost. If Hameed gets picked and fails, it could very well end his whole career. He just seems to be starting to rebuild some confidence in his game, do you really want to risk taking a hammer to that?

Exactly the same reason I am against Will Pucovski getting a call up here in Australia

weeman27bob

International Regular
Both Burns and Sibley have quirky techniques and I doubt that they batted like that when they were 16 or 18 years old. There just seems to be so much that can go wrong.

I'd like to ask them if they've ever thought of completely revamping it
I thought the suggestion that the problem with Burns and Sibley is that they've changed their technique and so to fix it they should change it again a particular high point

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Not surprising given he wants to discard Sibley and Burns to allow Bairstow to open the batting, and to bring Rashid back.
Thanks for adding this bit in your post - saves me from wasting time reading the article. Aside from a 12 month purple patch (batting at #7) Bairstow's technique has been exposed time and again at Test level in the middle order. He'd probably not fair much better than Roy opening the batting in England at this point. Burns had a shocking series last time out but him and Sibley have both made perfectly fine starts to their Test careers.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I remain agnostic about Burns long term, but him & Sibbers have been head and shoulders above any other openers we've tried not called Cook since Strauss gave it away, the all-too-brief Hameed interlude excepted.