cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 53 of 54 FirstFirst ... 34351525354 LastLast
Like Tree188Likes

Thread: England players and selection discussion thread

FBU
    Quote Originally Posted by theegyptian View Post
    I think it was out of competition testing. Also recreational drugs rather than performance enhancing. I think it makes sense to have more lenient rules on the recreational drug use.

From what I can tell they don't differentiate between recreational drugs. It's a standard one fits all policy. First violation - counselling etc, Second- 21 day ban, third - Year ban . Jack Burnham for instance was widely reported as using cocaine but it was only on his third violation that he got a year ban. Hales is on his second violation.
    Since the Maynard incident hair analysis came into effect at the beginning and end of the season. So there is a window to party for county cricketers from Oct to Jan.
    In internationals it is just urine samples which can come thoughout the year, even during a Test.

International Coach Starfighter's Avatar
    Welp, he's been dropped from the WC squad.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
    England shouldn’t go anywhere near him for the WC, yes he’s made a mistake (heard that before) and we’re all prone to the odd mishap, but if someone can’t stay off the drugs on the lead-up to a WC then it really isn’t very professional. He’s been forgiven for previous misdemeanours then he pulls this stunt. It’s a no-brainer for me, get him out of the squad.
    I'd never pick him again. Seems like he can't and won't learn from his mistakes so why keep giving him chances?
    Woodster likes this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan9 View Post
    How does one get only 21 days for drug use? I though all sporting codes were strict on it now?
    Because it's not a performance enhancing related offence. There's two drug codes, the usual WADA stuff for performance enhancing stuff wherein a substance on that list equals a two year ban, and there's a illicit drug policy, which is based around player welfare. This type of policy is in place in many codes and is always focused on player welfare rather than player punishment
    http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blo...cricket-legacy

Brad McNamara ‏@bbuzzmc
    Will say this once and then nothing else. Defamation laws quite clear in Aus.be careful.

International Regular theegyptian's Avatar
    I think I've jokingly posted in the past that it turns to a world cup year for England and it starts to all fall apart. Certainly looking like that right now.

So far in 2019 -

Convincingly lose away test series to West Indies. Draw ODI series.
    ECB change their own guidelines to allow Jofra Archer chance to play WC, in the process causing disharmony in the ranks.
    Hales fails second recreational drug test. ECB drop him only after press gets hold of the story.
    Lots of fitness issues to world cup squad and backup. Roy(back), Denly(back), Woakes(knee), Rashid(unknown), Wood(everything), Billings(shoulder), Curran(calf/knee), Plunkett (always something). Mostly small things but they tend to add up.
    Plunkett, a key player in the world cup side, seems to be in terminal decline.
    Less pronounced seams used on the latest bunch of Dukes cricket balls. Big scores been scored as a result in county cricket. Should favour Australia in Ashes.
    Probably some other ****.

Would be an epic year. Go out at the group stages of a home world cup after been (one of, if not) the best side of the preceding 3.5 years, thrashed in a home ashes by a resurgent Australia with chief sandpaper men Smith and Warner dominant. I can see it now.

Quote Originally Posted by theegyptian View Post
    I think I've jokingly posted in the past that it turns to a world cup year for England and it starts to all fall apart. Certainly looking like that right now.

So far in 2019 -

Convincingly lose away test series to West Indies. Draw ODI series.
    ECB change their own guidelines to allow Jofra Archer chance to play WC, in the process causing disharmony in the ranks.
    Hales fails second recreational drug test. ECB drop him only after press gets hold of the story.
    Lots of fitness issues to world cup squad and backup. Roy(back), Denly(back), Woakes(knee), Rashid(unknown), Wood(everything), Billings(shoulder), Curran(calf/knee), Plunkett (always something). Mostly small things but they tend to add up.
    Plunkett, a key player in the world cup side, seems to be in terminal decline.
    Less pronounced seams used on the latest bunch of Dukes cricket balls. Big scores been scored as a result in county cricket. Should favour Australia in Ashes.
    Probably some other ****.

Would be an epic year. Go out at the group stages of a home world cup after been (one of, if not) the best side of the preceding 3.5 years, thrashed in a home ashes by a resurgent Australia with chief sandpaper men Smith and Warner dominant. I can see it now.
    All that’s missing is an embarrassing defeat against an Associate nation, and we play Ireland on Friday m...

Request Your Custom Title Now! Howe_zat's Avatar
    Alex Hales would still be part of the England squad had details of his suspension not become public, director of cricket Ashley Giles has admitted.

It was initially said that Hales was taking time away from the game for "personal reasons", until the Guardian reported he was serving a 21-day ban for recreational drug use.

"The effect of that breaking has led us to where we are," Giles told BBC Sport.

"If anyone thinks that is right or wrong, it is the way it had to be."
    Dumbest god damn thing.
    Join the CW Commentary Discord - https://discord.gg/2cYpfrf

With the whole Hepburn thing - Joe Clarke and Tom Kohler-Cadmore have been blacklisted by ECB until further notice : Joe Clarke, Tom Kohler-Cadmore on England blacklist after WhatsApp revelations | ESPNcricinfo.com
    Last edited by SeamUp; 02-05-2019 at 02:15 PM.
    LILLEE c WILLEY b DILLEY

LAMB c KOURIE b RICE

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Rightly so. Stupid boys.

That article mentions Clarke a fair bit more than Kohler-Cadmore. I admit to not having followed the case particularly but the lack of emphasis on K-C would seem to imply he had a lesser role than Clarke in the Whatsapp conversation. If that's a fair judgement, can we expect Clarke to get more punishment than K-C? Obviously the crime far outweighs these issues, but from a cricketing view it would be an interesting decision from the ECB on how they perceive these things.
    Last edited by andmark; 02-05-2019 at 05:36 PM.
    And come what may we're unstoppable
    'cause we know just what we are
    Yeah we know just what we are
    - Oasis, "Stay Young"

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Hales should have been ****ing banned for sinking the slipper into that bloke laying on the ground in the bar fight at Bristol. Man's a ****.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Dumbest god damn thing.
    Reading the whole article, it seems for legal reasons the two people who knew of Hales failed drug tests could not tell the selection committee, and then the 2nd interesting part is after it was revealed in press it was the senior plays that asked for his removal because of his continuous poor behaviour and disruption to the squad. So if that is true then it makes considerably more sense as to how things played out.

Drugs test exposure sealed Alex Hales' fate - Ashley Giles | ESPNcricinfo.com
    "The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they’ve found it."

"I have neither the time nor crayons to explain it to you...."

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    So unlike an England squad to be in a state of disunity ahead of a big series...

There doesn't seem to be a thread for the Eng vs Ire match today. It's getting very interesting though. At 62/4, it'll be a test to see if England really do "bat deep" in the innings.

U19 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by hazsa19 View Post
    All that’s missing is an embarrassing defeat against an Associate nation, and we play Ireland on Friday m...
    Dude..!!!😶😶

Page 53 of 54 FirstFirst ... 34351525354 LastLast

Thread Information