• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

Gremlin

U19 Vice-Captain
Crawley please.

Also, hope Broad is rested. There's no advantage to picking him for this tour whatsoever. Two from Woakes / Curran and Wood / Archer for the starting line up with Stokes as an option for the seam attack. If Moeen's head is in the right place I'd want him in my side too, I really want to see him back at his best.

Father Time

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
We need to move on from Moeen Ali. How is he in any way better than Leach? & we should stick with a developing Bess, & have a look at Parkinson in Sri Lanka. The young guys are proving their worth & deserve their chance. Crawley is raw but has bags of talent, I’d pick him every time over Jennings who should be nowhere near the England squad! It’s really heartening to feel that the Test side is starting to recover after the Bayliss lethargy. Success breeds success & they are building a good platform here to introduce more young players.

FBU

International Debutant
Crawley please.

Also, hope Broad is rested. There's no advantage to picking him for this tour whatsoever. Two from Woakes / Curran and Wood / Archer for the starting line up with Stokes as an option for the seam attack. If Moeen's head is in the right place I'd want him in my side too, I really want to see him back at his best.
Not Woakes, away record 54.86, I am sure he will go to Sri Lanka, his best friend is a selector. SA stats 98.50 but he is in the squad.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Not Woakes, away record 54.86, I am sure he will go to Sri Lanka, his best friend is a selector. SA stats 98.50 but he is in the squad.
Got to love a small sample size.

Whilst Curran is being selected, Woakes is being hard done by.

Gremlin

U19 Vice-Captain
Woakes is in my starting line up for Sri Lanka based on the Joburg test. I'm also not adverse to resting Wood and Archer for this tour along with Broad

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Woakes is in my starting line up for Sri Lanka based on the Joburg test. I'm also not adverse to resting Wood and Archer for this tour along with Broad
Hope so. Could be time for Stokes Woakes Foakes at last!

Also hoping the Bairstow for Denly rumour is false.

Neptune

State Vice-Captain
Will Hales ever return to the England white ball squad? Surely made a case for the t20 squad with his good form in the bbl.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Some predicted squads for England 2023 WC in India from Wisden. https://www.wisden.com/series-stori...-predict-england-next-cricket-world-cup-squad

Put together my own predicted squad.

SQUAD - Roy, Bairstow, Root, Buttler, Stokes, Pope, Banton, Archer, Woakes, S Mahmood, Fisher, S Curran, Ali, Rashid, Dawson

Batting looks good for 2023. Most of the current brigade should still be around their peak. Banton and Pope the two likeliest to break in. May need Pope in the middle order to counter all the spin England likely to face.
Bowling more up in the air. Fisher has been around a while now and can't seem to stay fit but still only 22 and has the quality if he can get fit for a prolonged time. Spinners are tough given the lack of offies doing well in the English one day game so I've stuck with Ali and Dawson. More options with leggies with Parkinson, Crane and Sowter all realistic contenders but again I stuck with Rashid whose record is decent.
Wouldn't be surprised if Stokes has his injury issues by 2023, and I'm not sure he'd make the side if he couldn't bowl, because there are better bats.

Team - Banton, Bairstow, Root, Pope, Stokes, Buttler (WK/Cap), Ali, Woakes, Rashid, Archer, Mahmood

England in all likelihood will be 2nd/3rd favourites with Australia imo, behind India.

Last edited:

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmm definitely can't see Woakes, Moeen or Rashid being there - 3 years is a long, long time in cricket and England's schedule is relentless. Even Bairstow, Root and Stokes I'm really not sure if they'll be there.

Kohler-Cadmore (if he's not been blacklisted) and Hain should definitely be in or around the squad by then - if not they're places already cemented. Fisher and Mahmood are good calls I think - skiddy pace and both will only be 25 by then. Maybe others like Garten or Barber could break through and provide some left arm pace as well?

Also Barnard and Tongue from Worcestershire might be useful options - the former definitely has a bit about him as a cricketer and could play higher honours

Last edited:

BSM

U19 Cricketer
Hmm definitely can't see Woakes, Moeen or Rashid being there - 3 years is a long, long time in cricket and England's schedule is relentless. Even Bairstow, Root and Stokes I'm really not sure if they'll be there.

Kohler-Cadmore (if he's not been blacklisted) and Hain should definitely be in or around the squad by then - if not they're places already cemented. Fisher and Mahmood are good calls I think - skiddy pace and both will only be 25 by then. Maybe others like Garten or Barber could break through and provide some left arm pace as well?

Also Barnard and Tongue from Worcestershire might be useful options - the former definitely has a bit about him as a cricketer and could play higher honours
Think Bairstow and Root probably have a very high chance of being there at least, as both are increasingly playing less of one format these days (tests and t20s respectively.) You'd have hoped resting Root in 80% of t20s will result in a career going on until at least mid-30s anyway.

Think T.Curran is being a bit overlooked to be honest. Was at least a little unlucky to not play a singe game in the WC and has been very decent in the BBL. Certainly have higher hopes at the international level for him than the likes of Mahmood and J.Overton

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I thought Tom Curran would be a very, very obvious candidate for a permanent ODI spot in the future

FBU

International Debutant
Think Bairstow and Root probably have a very high chance of being there at least, as both are increasingly playing less of one format these days (tests and t20s respectively.) You'd have hoped resting Root in 80% of t20s will result in a career going on until at least mid-30s anyway.

Think T.Curran is being a bit overlooked to be honest. Was at least a little unlucky to not play a singe game in the WC and has been very decent in the BBL. Certainly have higher hopes at the international level for him than the likes of Mahmood and J.Overton
I agree with you on Mahmood and J Overton being not there.
Archer Wood T Curran Jordan (for his death bowling with Archer) Stokes Parkinson and maybe Lawrence (10-0-28-4 for the Lions today)

theegyptian

T Curran was my 15/16th player in squad but went with Dawson as another spinner.

I'm not entirely convinced by Tcurran the 50 over bowler. He tends to be a little inconsistent imo. The right arm medium fast allsorts bowler doesn't go that great generally in 50 over stuff. You just get milked by the good batsman. He looks more of a 20 over cricketer right now.

Also I feel like the issue will be he will play a lot more 20 over cricket over the next 3 years, and relatively little 50 over stuff. So he will be in the habit of bowling 6 different deliveries an over from the t20 stuff, which doesn't transition easily to the 50 over stuff.

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Some predicted squads for England 2023 WC in India from Wisden. https://www.wisden.com/series-stori...-predict-england-next-cricket-world-cup-squad

Put together my own predicted squad.

SQUAD - Roy, Bairstow, Root, Buttler, Stokes, Pope, Banton, Archer, Woakes, S Mahmood, Fisher, S Curran, Ali, Rashid, Dawson

Batting looks good for 2023. Most of the current brigade should still be around their peak. Banton and Pope the two likeliest to break in. May need Pope in the middle order to counter all the spin England likely to face.
Bowling more up in the air. Fisher has been around a while now and can't seem to stay fit but still only 22 and has the quality if he can get fit for a prolonged time. Spinners are tough given the lack of offies doing well in the English one day game so I've stuck with Ali and Dawson. More options with leggies with Parkinson, Crane and Sowter all realistic contenders but again I stuck with Rashid whose record is decent.
Wouldn't be surprised if Stokes has his injury issues by 2023, and I'm not sure he'd make the side if he couldn't bowl, because there are better bats.

Team - Banton, Bairstow, Root, Pope, Stokes, Buttler (WK/Cap), Ali, Woakes, Rashid, Archer, Mahmood

England in all likelihood will be 2nd/3rd favourites with Australia imo, behind India.
S Mahmood again? Shades of 2007

Gremlin

U19 Vice-Captain
Archer now ruled out of the SL tour (and IPL) and will now focus on getting fit for June. A low grade stress fracture of the elbow, whatever "low grade" means.

It is very easy to suggest over bowling at this stage was the cause but in all honesty it could have been anything. I hope this takes the pressure off him to try and return to action too quickly.

FBU

International Debutant
Mail
The 24-year-old first experienced discomfort in the joint at the World Cup last summer, when he bowled the super over in the final at Lord’s to help England to a first global 50-over title.

It seems he had the side strain AND the elbow condition in the WC. Just fill him up with painkillers.

'Wood has been diagnosed with a side injury that will take four to six weeks to heal. Archer also has a left side strain and has been given permission to visit family in Barbados for a week to recover mentally and physically from his World Cup heroics. Privately, England do not expect him to be fit until at least the second Australia Test at Lord’s, starting on Aug 14.

Do the England medics have a clue when it comes to the bowlers?

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Eh?

Look at Jimmy Anderson and Broads fitness records throughout their career as examples. Then have a look at Australia's record for keeping their quicks on the park.

There is a lot that English cricket does very poorly but surely manage their bowlers is one thing we've done better than most the last decade?

Last edited:

theegyptian

Mail
The 24-year-old first experienced discomfort in the joint at the World Cup last summer, when he bowled the super over in the final at Lord’s to help England to a first global 50-over title.

It seems he had the side strain AND the elbow condition in the WC. Just fill him up with painkillers.

'Wood has been diagnosed with a side injury that will take four to six weeks to heal. Archer also has a left side strain and has been given permission to visit family in Barbados for a week to recover mentally and physically from his World Cup heroics. Privately, England do not expect him to be fit until at least the second Australia Test at Lord’s, starting on Aug 14.

Do the England medics have a clue when it comes to the bowlers?
For big events like Ashes and World Cups I think it's taken for granted that sometimes players will play through the pain, have pain killing injections etc, sometimes to the detriment of the players short (and possibly long) term fitness. Players want to play and management wants them playing.

Eh?

Look at Jimmy Anderson and Broads fitness records throughout their career as examples. Then have a look at Australia's record for keeping their quicks on the park.

There is a lot that English cricket does very poorly but surely manage their bowlers is one thing we've done better than most the last decade?
They are not really directly comparable imo. Broad and Anderson are operating in the early 80s mph for most of the last decade. Broad in particular will often bowl within himself.

Australian bowlers tend to be of the 85mph+ category. How many of England's 85mph+ bowlers have been regularly fit over the last decade? None.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Eh?

I think, in the nicest possible way, Jimmeh and Chris jr are both freaks. It's really pretty rare for any seam up bowler of any significant pace to have careers like they have. Both are blessed with natural actions (Anderson famously lost his swing when Troy Cooley tried to tinker with his) and lean but robust physiques.

For every Anderson and Broad though we've had of late the Tremletts, Roland-Joneses and Woods of the world whose careers have never quite made it past the "promising" stage because of injury.

In fact there's an (ig)noble history in English cricket of seamers who've briefly shone on the highest stage, but have ended up with fewer than 100 test scalps because their bodies couldn't withstand the rigours of the discipline. There's obviously Typhoon Tyson, but we've had Simon Jones, Alex Tudor, Dean Headley, Richard Johnson (also noteable for having the distinction of a first name and a surname that are euphemisms for the male member) relatively recently and, for the historically minded, there was Ken Farnes and Nobby Clark in the interwar period.

Gremlin

U19 Vice-Captain
Anderson making himself available for Sri Lanka it seems... oh do please recover fully and miss this one out!