• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

Bahseph

State Captain
a

Last Test at Newlands SA didn't play a spinner, just Steyn, Philander, Rabada and Olivier. Pakistan spin 25 overs 0 wickets.

I suppose Anderson would be left out although his record at CT is better than other SA grounds. 26.44.
Last time in CT 2016 Stokes made 258, Bairstow 150 and Amla 201 Bavuma 112*. Hope it's not another 627 v 629 Test.
Don't like to infringe on non-SA selection threads but the last time SA played at Newlands we were in the middle of Otis Gibson wanting to rely solely on seam. Maharaj was marginalized to significant degree, so i wouldn't read too much into it.

SeamUp

International Coach
Anyone know much about the young Kent keeper Ollie Robinson who is in the England Lions squad ?

Seems to have had an impressive start to FC cricket. Batted 3/4 at times and kept wicket.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Burns out of the Sri Lanka tour so that makes it very easy for them to get Jennings back into the side and then back out again for the English summer.

Big question is if Moeen will be back or not.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyone know much about the young Kent keeper Ollie Robinson who is in the England Lions squad ?

Seems to have had an impressive start to FC cricket. Batted 3/4 at times and kept wicket.
Is there another Ollie Robinson? The one I know is the seam-bowling allrounder who plays for Sussex

Tom Flint

International Regular
Even if Jennings is most likely to do well in Sri Lanka I really don't want him to get picked. Denly can open

Tom Flint

International Regular
I'd rather bring in hildreth at 3 than give Jennings another chance. He done well for years on a spinning track at somerset

Pothas

Jennings is all but a certainty now with Burns injured. Think we will be looking at:

Jennings
Sibley
Denly
Root
Stokes
Pope
Buttler/Foakes
Moeen/Bess
Archer
Leach
Anderson

Although they did play 3 spinners last time so maybe Parkinson but think they will just use Denly and Root. Curran may play instead of Anderson as well, could see Broad missing the tour.

Tom Flint

International Regular
If your going to go for Jennings then you may as well pick Bairstow instead who is always in the various squads. He did have a very good your to Sri Lanka when we won 3-0 there last year

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Would you guys really leave out Broad? He actualy seems to give a **** about his bowling away from home now. And as well as Anderson has done, he need not be a surefire starter in the SC.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Broad Anderson and stokes is enough seam for Sri Lanka.
Sibley
Denly
Hildreth
Root
Stokes
Pope
Buttler
Virdi
Leach
Broad
Anderson

Pothas

If your going to go for Jennings then you may as well pick Bairstow instead who is always in the various squads. He did have a very good your to Sri Lanka when we won 3-0 there last year
Am just going with what I think they will go with. Not who I would pick.

Pothas

Would you guys really leave out Broad? He actualy seems to give a **** about his bowling away from home now. And as well as Anderson has done, he need not be a surefire starter in the SC.
I think they will want to see Archer in Sri Lanka and then Anderson has played less cricket than Broad recently.