cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 50 of 54 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast
Like Tree188Likes

Thread: England players and selection discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by theegyptian View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...-england-ashes

Roy set to open in ashes apparently.

I mean really? This seems like bullshit. Surely you wait the 5 months of cricket between now and then and make a decision at that point.

And even still Roy at the top of the order with all the other flaky attacking options would seem to compound England's issues rather than ease them/
    I agree that it seems early to be saying this. I don't really mind his (apparent) selection, though - I don't think it will go well, but realistically he can't be much worse than Jennings and some of the others we've tried and he has at least had (admittedly a bit inconsistent) success at international level. Agree that he's not the type of player we'd bring in in an ideal world, but I don't think we've got a lot of choice tbh

State Vice-Captain
    Doesn't even open for Surrey.
    Last edited by Tom Flint; 11-03-2019 at 12:39 AM.

It's not ideal, but it's not like he's leapfrogging Hutton and Hobbs either. On balance I'm more in favour than anti.

As Bijed observes he has at least made a decent go of international cricket in the other formats. In the bad old days England had a wrong-headed habit of using ODIs as auditions for the test XI. Happily those days are long gone (at least for now), but, judging by the success (or lack thereof) of those who've earned a go by their CC performances I think Roy might be the least bad option currently.
    Howe_zat likes this.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Brexit is the Tory party's baby; it's been a long and painful labour and, at the very last minute, they've sh@t all over it.'" - Frankie Boyle

He definitely wouldn't be my pick - he might not even be in my top 10 picks for that spot - but none of the choices inspire any confidence at all, so if they want to a take a bit of a weird punt on it, meh. It's hardly the blunder of the century.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    He definitely wouldn't be my pick - he might not even be in my top 10 picks for that spot - but none of the choices inspire any confidence at all, so if they want to a take a bit of a weird punt on it, meh. It's hardly the blunder of the century.
    Care to stick you head over the parapet and tell us who would be?

I do think Roy will keep the slips interested, especially early on. Does go pretty hard at it. Unless Hameed remembers how to play though Smith isn't exactly overburdened with other viable opening options.

BSM
    School Boy/Girl Captain
    Roy probably isn't that bad of a choice at the moment since, as others have pointed out, no one else has really put themselves forward. That being said, pining him as the next in line before the start of the county championship, when a lot of players are going to have a good many oppertunities to score runs and put their names forward, would be stupid. I don't mind going to Roy if no one puts their name forward, but the likelihood is that someone will.

Hopefully Duckett gets runs at the start of the season. I think the two test marches he had opening in Bangladesh were pretty tough with him even scoring a 50 in the second test which iirc was particularly low scoring. He was exposed against Ashwin in India but you'd have thought his game has improved against spin, and he's skills against pace bowling would become more relevant in England

What do you guys think of Sam Curran in the World Cup squad? Adds to #BatDeep™
    trundler isn't annoying at all. He's quality. -TJB
    Yea trundler is the new Bijed. Good addition. - Zorax
    Quote Originally Posted by ankitj View Post
    trundler is the coolest member to join the forum in a long time.

U19 Cricketer
    I know the English season is only just starting but looking at the England top 3 there is clearly need for something to change, it is horrible. Who are the main candidates to open or bat 3 in the Ashes?

State Vice-Captain
    Been saying it for ages, duckett should open

U19 Cricketer
    Is Gary Balance a chance to return to number 3 in the test side? He started the county season with a century which cannot be a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Flint View Post
    Been saying it for ages, duckett should open
    Remember saying a while back on here how harshly treated he was. A few issues since haven't helped but always felt he was talented enough to get an extended opportunity like others have.
    LILLEE c WILLEY b DILLEY

LAMB c KOURIE b RICE

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Test_Fan_Only View Post
    Is Gary Balance a chance to return to number 3 in the test side? He started the county season with a century which cannot be a bad thing.
    He averaged 100 in the CC a couple of seasons back before returning to the team, he averaged 20 in tests that year.... Not good enough.

U19 Debutant
    He always gets runs in the CC but he's hopeless at test level, always gets out to the full deliveries, and that will never change!

Hameed! Hameeed!! Last time it was Broad; this time it will be Hameed who is going to make the Australians cry.

U19 Debutant
    Good for him to start with a double ton, but it was against a university, so let's wait and see what happens against a proper county outfit first

Page 50 of 54 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast

Thread Information