• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

Tom Flint

International Regular
Could see some of the Essex boys get a look in and given the club's recent success you wouldn't blame him. Porter could get a go as they start to look for future swing bowlers

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Could see some of the Essex boys get a look in and given the club's recent success you wouldn't blame him. Porter could get a go as they start to look for future swing bowlers
One reason I wanted the coach chosen before the squad. He may have a gem to unearth.

Woodster

International Captain
Yes big fan of Silverwood, obviously being an Essex fan, and you’re quite right Tom I think he will offer some of the Essex players an opportunity and why wouldn’t he, he knows them more than he’ll know most players and they’ve won the CC twice in the last three years.

That said, before this season I was really hoping the likes of Nick Browne, Dan Lawrence and Tom Westley with the bat would make serious cases for Test inclusion, but none of them have really made a solid case with none averaging over 40. Jamie Porter will certainly be on the radar after a steady season and Sam Cook may well be introduced at Lions level in the not too distant future.

FBU

International Debutant
Yes big fan of Silverwood, obviously being an Essex fan, and you’re quite right Tom I think he will offer some of the Essex players an opportunity and why wouldn’t he, he knows them more than he’ll know most players and they’ve won the CC twice in the last three years.

That said, before this season I was really hoping the likes of Nick Browne, Dan Lawrence and Tom Westley with the bat would make serious cases for Test inclusion, but none of them have really made a solid case with none averaging over 40. Jamie Porter will certainly be on the radar after a steady season and Sam Cook may well be introduced at Lions level in the not too distant future.
They had a chance to pick Porter at OT but picked Overton (f/c at OT Porter 18.00 Overton 32.00). Smith and Root will be the main voices at selection.
England haven't replaced Flower at Loughborough so we don't know what Lions we are getting for Australia in Jan 2020.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Overton probably got the nod for his batting which didn't really work although he did stick around in the 2nd innings

Tom Flint

International Regular
I think silverwood will have a lot of clout over selection. He probably knows more about the cc and it's players than Smith and root combined

FBU

International Debutant
I think silverwood will have a lot of clout over selection. He probably knows more about the cc and it's players than Smith and root combined
Yes he does but will he be loud enough to be heard?

Guardian -
'Joe Root, who has encouraged him to take a more central role in team talks and meetings over the past 12 months'.

At least Giles had a vote in the last meeting so we have a stronger looking batting line up.

D/L

U19 Captain
I found Silverwood's appointment very surprising but I agree that he's probably more in touch with county cricket than any rivals he had for the job. He was a good, hard working player who, but for injury, may have had a longer test career. Good luck to him in this new role.

Tom Flint

International Regular
I have heard darren gough and Chris Lewis talking about how tough he is and will not pull any punches. Let's hope so. Smith probably had seen a lot of county cricket, until he got the job then he just travelled around watching the test matches in a champagne box

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
This nugget in the last few days. Jennings possibly returning for Sri Lank tour. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/dec/01/keaton-jennings-england-sri-lanka

Of course we have the SA tour next. Squad I'd imagine in the next few days. I would expect Anderson, Bairstow and maybe Ali and Wood to return. Can't see anyone from outside those 4 joining those from the NZ test squad to come in. Mahmood, Parkinson and maybe Curran to drop out?

Woodster

International Captain
This nugget in the last few days. Jennings possibly returning for Sri Lank tour. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/dec/01/keaton-jennings-england-sri-lanka

Of course we have the SA tour next. Squad I'd imagine in the next few days. I would expect Anderson, Bairstow and maybe Ali and Wood to return. Can't see anyone from outside those 4 joining those from the NZ test squad to come in. Mahmood, Parkinson and maybe Curran to drop out?
Would be a classic horses for courses selection, when you initially contemplate that happening it seems utterly ridiculous and myopic, however, there’s some value in picking the team most likely to perform in the conditions. Whether Jennings is the type to do that, I’m not entirely convinced.

As for the SA tour, yes I agree with those possible changes, Anderson a certainty if fit, Ali will also come back in if he’s in the right frame of mind. Bairstow will almost certainly go as the back-up keeper and the selection of Wood will mean that Archer will get a rest during the series.

Father Time

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Please god no more Moeen Ali. He proved beyond doubt that he is not a Test batsman or bowler! No selection on earth would have any credibility if they chose him. I’d like to see them stick with Leach. He’s done nothing wrong & I can’t believe he was left out in this last Test.

Woodster

International Captain
Please god no more Moeen Ali. He proved beyond doubt that he is not a Test batsman or bowler! No selection on earth would have any credibility if they chose him. I’d like to see them stick with Leach. He’s done nothing wrong & I can’t believe he was left out in this last Test.
England will select Anderson, Broad and Archer for the first Test in SA in all likelihood, in that case they’ll want a spinner that can bat or pick Woakes for an all pace attack (which I don’t think would be the best option). Ali is a better bat than Leach and all those quicks, I’m not suggesting you should necessarily pick the best batter (if he’s primarily a bowler) if there’s a stark difference in the quality of their bowling, but if it’s similar (I don’t think there’s a huge amount between Moeen and Leach) then the stronger bat will inevitably get the nod.

FBU

International Debutant
England will select Anderson, Broad and Archer for the first Test in SA in all likelihood, in that case they’ll want a spinner that can bat or pick Woakes for an all pace attack (which I don’t think would be the best option). Ali is a better bat than Leach and all those quicks, I’m not suggesting you should necessarily pick the best batter (if he’s primarily a bowler) if there’s a stark difference in the quality of their bowling, but if it’s similar (I don’t think there’s a huge amount between Moeen and Leach) then the stronger bat will inevitably get the nod.
Evening Standard
Root admitted that England's experiment with 5 quick bowlers in Hamilton could be continued in South Africa where the conditions are likely to favour seam bowling. Stupid idea!! What team picks 5 seam bowlers?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting selection issues if we do play a spinner next time out. Curran was by far our best bowler in the first innings, and also provided a rare evidence of resistance with the bat in our first innings. But it would be a brave call to leave out one of Broad, Anderson and Archer. Anderson's track record in SA is pretty poor isn't it?

FBU

International Debutant
Interesting selection issues if we do play a spinner next time out. Curran was by far our best bowler in the first innings, and also provided a rare evidence of resistance with the bat in our first innings. But it would be a brave call to leave out one of Broad, Anderson and Archer. Anderson's track record in SA is pretty poor isn't it?
a

Last Test at Newlands SA didn't play a spinner, just Steyn, Philander, Rabada and Olivier. Pakistan spin 25 overs 0 wickets.

I suppose Anderson would be left out although his record at CT is better than other SA grounds. 26.44.
Last time in CT 2016 Stokes made 258, Bairstow 150 and Amla 201 Bavuma 112*. Hope it's not another 627 v 629 Test.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If he's fit my guess is Woakes will come into the selector's thoughts too, especially given the collapsible nature of our lower-middle order currently.

FBU

International Debutant
If he's fit my guess is Woakes will come into the selector's thoughts too, especially given the collapsible nature of our lower-middle order currently.
Think Curran has sealed the no 8 spot.
Woakes away record batting 19.28 bowling 54.86.