• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

Bijed

International Regular
He'd already done enough this season to open in the Ashes over Roy.
That's fair, although OTOH if they'd been determined to pick Sibley this summer they could have easily made the call the Burns wasn't going to make it and replaced him instead

ImpatientLime

International Regular
england have done nothing but give chances to openers who've had fleeting runs in county cricket. none of whom have been good enough.

given that history, i'm not sure giving roy a go was as mad as people are now making out.

what makes sibley any different from compton, carberry, robson, lyth, jennings etc.

Jack1

International Debutant
That's fair, although OTOH if they'd been determined to pick Sibley this summer they could have easily made the call the Burns wasn't going to make it and replaced him instead
Don't agree. No chance over Roy. Burns at least bats like a test match batter even when he makes zilch. Roy is a walking wicket in test cricket. England should have opened with Sibley and Burns in the first Ashes test but the selectors didn't have the balls to do it.

england have done nothing but give chances to openers who've had fleeting runs in county cricket. none of whom have been good enough.

given that history, i'm not sure giving roy a go was as mad as people are now making out.

what makes sibley any different from compton, carberry, robson, lyth, jennings etc.
If you wanted to roll the dice on Roy why before Sibley and not after? Sibley deserved to play in the Ashes over him.

Last edited:

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Don't agree. No chance over Roy. Burns at least bats like a test match batter even when he makes zilch. Roy is a walking wicket in test cricket. England should have opened with Sibley and Burns in the first Ashes test but the selectors didn't have the balls to do it.

If you wanted to roll the dice on Roy why before Sibley and not after? Sibley deserved to play in the Ashes over him.
as i explained before, county runs as an opener have meant squat in test cricket in the last 6-7 years.

Jack1

International Debutant
as i explained before, county runs as an opener have meant squat in test cricket in the last 6-7 years.
I still think whoever makes the most runs in FC cricket ought to get picked for the opener role in particular. ODI runs meant squat in test cricket. Bairstow, Roy, Buttler three world class ODI batsmen they are a walking wicket in the top 5 in test match cricket. It's like a different sport. Opening in test cricket has become increasingly difficult due to the limited overs game making these players forget that test cricket is attritional and not a hit and giggle fest.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!

The one thing in Sibley's favour is he does have a capacity to go big when he gets in which is something the others didn't do. Seems to have a large amount of daddy hundreds out of the ones he has got.

Jack1

International Debutant
on sibley, wasn't 2019 the first time he averaged 40+ in a season? might be wrong.
The shed is so bare that I was starting to worry about whether the selectors had my mobile number or not at one stage. You could average 40 for 5 minutes and be in with a shout at the moment.

Raffski

School Boy/Girl Captain
The constant need for an opener has meant that pretty much any run of form has resulted in selection. Some players who'd otherwise shown absolutely nothing have been picked off the back of one good season- Lyth, Robson, Hameed, Jennings (Who I think averaged under 30 before his mammoth 2016)- and then by the time selection comes around have fallen back to their normal level.

Burns might still not make it, but has at least had multiple 1000+. 40+ seasons, which makes me feel a bit more confident about him long term. Sibley has now had 1.5 good seasons (supposedly off the back of some technical alterations) so we'll see what happens.

Father Time

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Was away on holiday when the Squads were picked. Test squad ok, Pleased that Bairstow has gone, finally sorted that issue, although tough on Foakes. Sibley had to get a chance, tremendous late season surge of runs, Pope also. Biggest question for me is if Denly is going to bat at 3, what is he doing in the 20/20 squad..?? There are plenty of other options there. Dont know much about the Lancs boys. Also not aquainted with the Test venues of Mt Manganui & Hamilton, is former is a new Test venue?

Jack1

International Debutant
Was away on holiday when the Squads were picked. Test squad ok, Pleased that Bairstow has gone, finally sorted that issue, although tough on Foakes. Sibley had to get a chance, tremendous late season surge of runs, Pope also. Biggest question for me is if Denly is going to bat at 3, what is he doing in the 20/20 squad..?? There are plenty of other options there. Dont know much about the Lancs boys. Also not aquainted with the Test venues of Mt Manganui & Hamilton, is former is a new Test venue?
He's mates with Ed Smith, I think that's really what it's been about all along.

FBU

International Debutant
Only 4 players faced more than 2000 balls

Sibley 3024 - 1324 runs
Azad 2860 - 1189
Dent 2204 - 1087
Cook 2015 - 913

PavlovsDog

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Yes, this will be the 1st Test ever played at Mt Manganui.

Jack1

International Debutant
Anyone going? It's far as hell from me. But semi tempted. I never watched England play away from home, but something seems tempting and peaceful about NZ.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Could see some of the Essex boys get a look in and given the club's recent success you wouldn't blame him. Porter could get a go as they start to look for future swing bowlers