Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 13 of 65 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
Like Tree216Likes

Thread: England players and selection discussion thread

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    I admire the balls of any IPL franchise who took a punt on a lad who doesn't even make Lancashire's T20 squad.
    You can trace poor old Hameed's travails back to when Lancs gave him his first taste of the white ball stuff a year ago

International Vice-Captain theegyptian's Avatar
    meh, I wouldn't of made those decisions but the selector has to do what he think is best. I'll reserve judgement until there is something to actually judge.

Regarding Buttler there has always been a strong support of him being selected in the test team, regardless of first class performances, by former players and journalists - so smith hardly in the minority there.

Do like the irony of Vince finally doing something people have been asking of him and he gets dropped, having being selected and recalled without doing much to justify inclusion. He can't really complain in that respect having played 13 tests and averaged 24.9 but it does feel almost cruel given he didn't select himself in the first place (ie he could only do his best) - and yesterdays knock may have felt like a breakthrough to vince.

U19 Debutant
    Still Mark Wood? Blimey, gives me hope one day I might yet have a career for England if he's one of the best seamers.

Also, bowled out for 58 or whatever and getting hammered by the Aussies with the batting having major conversion/concentration problems and they try and sure that up with Buttler? The world has gone mad.
    Last edited by Moonsorrow999; 15-05-2018 at 11:49 AM.

International 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by theegyptian View Post
    meh, I wouldn't of made those decisions but the selector has to do what he think is best. I'll reserve judgement until there is something to actually judge.

Regarding Buttler there has always been a strong support of him being selected in the test team, regardless of first class performances, by former players and journalists - so smith hardly in the minority there.

Do like the irony of Vince finally doing something people have been asking of him and he gets dropped, having being selected and recalled without doing much to justify inclusion. He can't really complain in that respect having played 13 tests and averaged 24.9 but it does feel almost cruel given he didn't select himself in the first place (ie he could only do his best) - and yesterdays knock may have felt like a breakthrough to vince.
    If Vince has any character about him he would get the bit between his teeth and absolutely annihilate the CC and force his way into the team if this really is his breakthrough.

International Vice-Captain S.Kennedy's Avatar
    I just find the Buttler decision bizarre, and what does it say about the championship? You have all these inform batsmen - Burns, Gubbins, Pope, Joe Clarke, Hildreth - and you select a batsman who is playing IPL? Bizarre!!
    "It's (The 100) optimised short-form cricket
    Tom Harrison
    What we are doing here is future-proofing county cricket
    Tom Harrison.
    We want to make the game as simple as possible for them (mums and kids) to understand
    Andrew Strauss.

Buttler is kind of different though, as I say you can still see the appeal. Bairstow, Stokes, Buttler, it is such a tempting lineup. I don't think any of those guys you mention have really demanded selection yet, hope Clarke or someone does soon. Stoneman keeping his spot bugs me a lot more and Woakes and Wood being there is just kind of uninspiring. Can't really say Woakes is a bad selection but would really like to see someone else getting a go.
    Last edited by Pothas; 15-05-2018 at 02:49 PM.

Where would you place him though, seven or something like last time he played, buried away with the allrounders? If you insist on using Buttler you should have him at three, or even open with him as a pinch-hitter and give him a licence.

Not if you think Bairstow should be in the top 5. Having him at 5 opens up that place for Buttler. Personally I would not have picked him, would rather just have Stokes at 7 but I can understand the idea.

I think Buttler is a very strange selection, but what if he comes off and gets 200 in a couple of sessions?

Will that change Test cricket forever? Or put another nail in its coffin?

International 12th Man
    There's been nothing in Bairstow's past 18 months that suggests that he should be batting in the top 5 though IMO, and more and more it looks like his 2016 was a flukey year.

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    I think Buttler is a very strange selection, but what if he comes off and gets 200 in a couple of sessions?

Will that change Test cricket forever? Or put another nail in its coffin?
    You Lankies are always moaning about Buttler, aren't you? He seems to be universally hated.

I once saw him make a century against Durham in a county championship match.

He is an extraordinary player Butter, very few like him. There is not really any evidence he can do it in red ball cricket but unlike the rest of our white ball players there is part of me that still wants us to keep trying, I mean he was bad at all in his early Tests. Was at his debut innings in Test cricket and he just hits the ball so ridiculously well.

Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    You Lankies are always moaning about Buttler, aren't you? He seems to be universally hated.

I once saw him make a century against Durham in a county championship match.
    I don't mind Buttler at all - the bloke almost never plays for Lancs anyway

What I find odd is that as the white ball and red ball games drift apart he (and there's no doubt he's as good a batsman as any in the short formats) suddenly gets picked for a Test side, a format where his record is pretty ordinary

Banned
    Buttler needs to get a Test hundred. He's been underperforming in every chance he's been given.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundking View Post
    There's been nothing in Bairstow's past 18 months that suggests that he should be batting in the top 5 though IMO, and more and more it looks like his 2016 was a flukey year.
    Are you on drugs?

Page 13 of 65 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread Information