Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 13 of 65 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 969
Like Tree216Likes

Thread: England players and selection discussion thread

  1. #181
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Europe, on the outside looking in
    Posts
    20,129
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    I admire the balls of any IPL franchise who took a punt on a lad who doesn't even make Lancashire's T20 squad.
    You can trace poor old Hameed's travails back to when Lancs gave him his first taste of the white ball stuff a year ago

  2. #182
    International Vice-Captain theegyptian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,052
    meh, I wouldn't of made those decisions but the selector has to do what he think is best. I'll reserve judgement until there is something to actually judge.

    Regarding Buttler there has always been a strong support of him being selected in the test team, regardless of first class performances, by former players and journalists - so smith hardly in the minority there.

    Do like the irony of Vince finally doing something people have been asking of him and he gets dropped, having being selected and recalled without doing much to justify inclusion. He can't really complain in that respect having played 13 tests and averaged 24.9 but it does feel almost cruel given he didn't select himself in the first place (ie he could only do his best) - and yesterdays knock may have felt like a breakthrough to vince.

  3. #183
    U19 Debutant
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Posts
    327
    Still Mark Wood? Blimey, gives me hope one day I might yet have a career for England if he's one of the best seamers.

    Also, bowled out for 58 or whatever and getting hammered by the Aussies with the batting having major conversion/concentration problems and they try and sure that up with Buttler? The world has gone mad.
    Last edited by Moonsorrow999; 15-05-2018 at 11:49 AM.

  4. #184
    International 12th Man
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Rochdale
    Posts
    1,671
    Quote Originally Posted by theegyptian View Post
    meh, I wouldn't of made those decisions but the selector has to do what he think is best. I'll reserve judgement until there is something to actually judge.

    Regarding Buttler there has always been a strong support of him being selected in the test team, regardless of first class performances, by former players and journalists - so smith hardly in the minority there.

    Do like the irony of Vince finally doing something people have been asking of him and he gets dropped, having being selected and recalled without doing much to justify inclusion. He can't really complain in that respect having played 13 tests and averaged 24.9 but it does feel almost cruel given he didn't select himself in the first place (ie he could only do his best) - and yesterdays knock may have felt like a breakthrough to vince.
    If Vince has any character about him he would get the bit between his teeth and absolutely annihilate the CC and force his way into the team if this really is his breakthrough.


  5. #185
    International Vice-Captain S.Kennedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,569
    I just find the Buttler decision bizarre, and what does it say about the championship? You have all these inform batsmen - Burns, Gubbins, Pope, Joe Clarke, Hildreth - and you select a batsman who is playing IPL? Bizarre!!
    "It's (The 100) optimised short-form cricket
    Tom Harrison
    What we are doing here is future-proofing county cricket
    Tom Harrison.
    We want to make the game as simple as possible for them (mums and kids) to understand
    Andrew Strauss.

  6. #186
    Hall of Fame Member Pothas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Brum
    Posts
    16,123
    Buttler is kind of different though, as I say you can still see the appeal. Bairstow, Stokes, Buttler, it is such a tempting lineup. I don't think any of those guys you mention have really demanded selection yet, hope Clarke or someone does soon. Stoneman keeping his spot bugs me a lot more and Woakes and Wood being there is just kind of uninspiring. Can't really say Woakes is a bad selection but would really like to see someone else getting a go.
    Last edited by Pothas; 15-05-2018 at 02:49 PM.

  7. #187
    International Vice-Captain S.Kennedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,569
    Where would you place him though, seven or something like last time he played, buried away with the allrounders? If you insist on using Buttler you should have him at three, or even open with him as a pinch-hitter and give him a licence.

  8. #188
    Hall of Fame Member Pothas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Brum
    Posts
    16,123
    Not if you think Bairstow should be in the top 5. Having him at 5 opens up that place for Buttler. Personally I would not have picked him, would rather just have Stokes at 7 but I can understand the idea.

  9. #189
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Europe, on the outside looking in
    Posts
    20,129
    I think Buttler is a very strange selection, but what if he comes off and gets 200 in a couple of sessions?

    Will that change Test cricket forever? Or put another nail in its coffin?

  10. #190
    International 12th Man
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Rochdale
    Posts
    1,671
    There's been nothing in Bairstow's past 18 months that suggests that he should be batting in the top 5 though IMO, and more and more it looks like his 2016 was a flukey year.

  11. #191
    International Vice-Captain S.Kennedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,569
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    I think Buttler is a very strange selection, but what if he comes off and gets 200 in a couple of sessions?

    Will that change Test cricket forever? Or put another nail in its coffin?
    You Lankies are always moaning about Buttler, aren't you? He seems to be universally hated.

    I once saw him make a century against Durham in a county championship match.

  12. #192
    Hall of Fame Member Pothas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Brum
    Posts
    16,123
    He is an extraordinary player Butter, very few like him. There is not really any evidence he can do it in red ball cricket but unlike the rest of our white ball players there is part of me that still wants us to keep trying, I mean he was bad at all in his early Tests. Was at his debut innings in Test cricket and he just hits the ball so ridiculously well.

  13. #193
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Europe, on the outside looking in
    Posts
    20,129
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    You Lankies are always moaning about Buttler, aren't you? He seems to be universally hated.

    I once saw him make a century against Durham in a county championship match.
    I don't mind Buttler at all - the bloke almost never plays for Lancs anyway

    What I find odd is that as the white ball and red ball games drift apart he (and there's no doubt he's as good a batsman as any in the short formats) suddenly gets picked for a Test side, a format where his record is pretty ordinary

  14. #194
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Dubai
    Posts
    848
    Buttler needs to get a Test hundred. He's been underperforming in every chance he's been given.

  15. #195
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    22,468
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundking View Post
    There's been nothing in Bairstow's past 18 months that suggests that he should be batting in the top 5 though IMO, and more and more it looks like his 2016 was a flukey year.
    Are you on drugs?

Page 13 of 65 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. England Test Selection Thread - Winter 2016
    By broadyfan94 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 28-08-2016, 07:55 AM
  2. Players to watch out for & Selection Highlights
    By Daemon in forum 2012 ICC World Twenty20 - Sri Lanka
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 22-09-2012, 12:31 AM
  3. *Official* England Squad discussion thread
    By Furball in forum 2010 ICC World Twenty20 - West Indies
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 03-05-2010, 08:35 PM
  4. England Selection Appreciation Thread
    By jackster83 in forum Ashes 2009
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 25-08-2009, 09:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •