• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

wtf just happened to cricinfo

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
While it's stupid rebutting something when most people my agree with it I'll this: I like areas for different types of content so I know where it is. I always use navigation links on my phone, because I know I can get where I need to go. A never ending page means that the information I want is often nigh inaccessible, and not organising things properly means that specific content is impossible to find. I don't want to discover content as I go. If I want to discover things as I go I'll go for a walk in the mountains, not on the internet. I'd like to be able to find what I want.

Not a fan of the increasing paywalling of the internet either, as while there are the Shortens of this world wanting to punish people for working hard I'd rather hang onto every penny I can, but I suppose that's the way things are going.
Agreed but this is how most people on the internet browse sites I guess and they are catering to the lower common denominator

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Ok based on my experience of how organisations implement 'major changes', I would expect this to be just one of the several glitches the site is going to have over the next couple of weeks but if it's permanent and the old scorecards are indeed gone, you are dead to me Cricinfo, you hear that? there's a dead person on the other site of the internet

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
^ He was referring to his generation tbh..you're safe by 30 years
Yeah, I'm 19. At least the people around my university would prefer this sort of arrangement and your shorter articles etc on a mobile device, and this change is designed for that sort of person.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Cricbuzz> Cricinfo
Really? Just compare the player profile write-ups of the 2 sites. Cricbuzz is very amateurish. So are the few cricket articles I read on the site. Only thing cricbuzz does better is cricket score notifications on mobile. Else I would never open their site or app.

Starfighter

It turns out that by going to a pre-03 season you can use the bar at the top with the seasons listed to find older seasons. These are in the same drop-down menu format.

It makes me wonder if they are going to remove, or at least make inaccessible the old archives under static.espncricinfo/db/ARCHIVE/ as all pre 2003 seasons were. If so that's devastating as they contained detailed match reports from the nineties as well as all the scorecards that were in the basic html format such as most domestic matches and the rest-of-the-world series, all of which don't appear in the drop-down menus.
Even if they don't they're inaccessible unless they're changed to the current format and the reports possibly will remain so (although quite a few were already dead links).

I hope all these problems are temporary but someone has really made a hash of things here. I fear that the match reports are gone for good though.

weeman27bob

International Regular
I wonder if part of the problem is Cricinfo seeing itself as a news + ball-by-ball site, with some stats, as opposed to the way that I (and I suspect a lot of you) use it as a stats + ball-by-ball site, with some news.

Starfighter

The problem there is that their journalism standards have declined catastrophically over the past few years.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It turns out that by going to a pre-03 season you can use the bar at the top with the seasons listed to find older seasons. These are in the same drop-down menu format.
Yeah, sure. Actually finding the links to these scorecards is still fairly easy. But once you do, the scorecards aren't showing the useful parts.

Starfighter

Yeah, sure. Actually finding the links to these scorecards is still fairly easy. But once you do, the scorecards aren't showing the useful parts.
And as I mentioned above it's only the scorecards where you've got links to players profiles etc that are visible. The ones done in Plain text aren't. Whole domestic seasons are missing, and all the reports are inaccessible.

Edit: By reports I mean a lot of nineties/early 00's coverage listed in the old archives like those from the Electronic Telegraph, and also in the match sidebar, which were much more detailed than the Wisden reports. As Kirkut mentions below the Wisden reports (or at least some) are still accessible through the Almanack Archive (which is loath to load for me).

Last edited:

Kirkut

International Regular
Even the Wisden coverage of the game is gone. Whenever I would browse through scorecards of test series or world cup games from 70's & 80's there was always one Wisden article on that game describing the match environment and the pitch conditions.
Wisden Almanack | ESPN Cricinfo

Yay! We can find all the game coverage in it's archive.

But still I won't be at peace unless they fix the scorecards.