• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

wtf just happened to cricinfo

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Agree in general that people overreact to these type of changes and get used to it (and even prefer the new version) after a while. But I really didn't like the last change or this one. The 2011/2012 versions were easily my favourite. https://twitter.com/ESPNcricinfo/status/888003057543299072

Completely redoing the match page is crazy as well. Don't think I can ever remember it being any different to how it was.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I didn't like the last change, and I still prefer what it looked like two iterations ago to what it does now, but I actually don't mind this one compared to the last one.

I'm just salty because I have to re-code everything.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It turns out that the match archive now being useless is inconsequential because you can't get full scorecards for any of the older matches anyway. You get the team total, FoW and extras. Neither the batting nor bowling figures display and the links to all the match reports etc are gone.

Somebody who thinks that they know way more than they actually do has seriously, completely ****ed this up.

Also the floating top bar means that 1/4 of the screen is effectively dead space.

cnerd123

likes this
Wait wtf have they really gotten rid of old scorecards?

Is this temporary? Or are they going to make that a paid feature like Cricket Archive did?

JFC we're living in a world you need to pay to see what happened in the past.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lol at people trying to defend it by saying it's just the "change is bad" brigade complaining. Come on, look at the match page. Half the screen is useless dead space.

cnerd123

likes this
Just got an email from CricHQ saying they're following the pay-for-information model too:

To make this transition easy, your current CricHQ account will be automatically updated to CricHQ Fan Pass - Basic when we release the global platform update. Your FREE CricHQ Fan Pass - Basic account includes:
Complete scorecard information
Live match summaries
Previews of match video highlights
Ability to follow players and teams
Basic match notifications to your device
Leaderboards and points tables
Post-match Reports; and more
From Monday 24 July 2017, you will also have the opportunity to upgrade to CricHQ Fan Pass - Premium for only US$1.49 per month.

CricHQ Fan Pass - Premium includes:
Comprehensive live scores
Premium video highlights
Live video replays
Live wagon wheels, pitch maps and match statistics
Customisable notifications for in-match events on Android devices
Removal of static display ads; and more!

cnerd123

likes this
Lol at people trying to defend it by saying it's just the "change is bad" brigade complaining. Come on, look at the match page. Half the screen is useless dead space.
I do miss them bolding text for wickets and boundaries

Also there is a lot of white space, small text. But all the info is still there.

Starfighter

Go on web archive and look at the site as it was in 2012. It's beautiful, with lots of content all easily visible and nicely organised, and with a better font size and aesthetics as well.

Although I can't say I've ever really understood 'mobile friendly' sites. You can never see any of the content and you have to scroll about 1 million miles to find anything, and if there's one thing that I find crashes a mobile web browser it's lots of scrolling. They also and to have floating bars eating dead space. This might be fine if they loaded better but every mobile site I've been on loads more slowly and is more unstable than its desktop counterpart. I've never had any problem with zooming in to click on links but three-quarters of my generation doesn't even seem to know that phones can be held horizontally and I suppose this change is supposed to appeal to them.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Welcome to the all-new ESPNcricinfo - ESPN Cricinfo

Chances are that you are reading this on your phone, and our design philosophy will explain itself if you simply ask yourself how you navigate through content on the phone. Our old modular approach - where there were designated areas for different types of content - has served you well on the desktop, but you don't often click on navigation links on your phone, do you? Would you rather not scroll, discovering more and more content as you go, rather than looking for it behind tabs and navigation buttons?

The never ending page where you just keep scrolling and scrolling, first started by social media sites is now the standard. My way of reading things, going to specific sections for specific content is now old school and obsolete

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agree in general that people overreact to these type of changes and get used to it (and even prefer the new version) after a while. But I really didn't like the last change or this one. The 2011/2012 versions were easily my favourite. https://twitter.com/ESPNcricinfo/status/888003057543299072

Completely redoing the match page is crazy as well. Don't think I can ever remember it being any different to how it was.
The 2011-13 ish was so good. It would be amazing to go back to that/

Agar

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
On almost every single site I switch to the desktop site, because mobile versions suck.
Cricinfo seem to have developed a counter for this ploy by completely forgoing the concept of a desktop version.

Starfighter

Chances are that you are reading this on your phone, and our design philosophy will explain itself if you simply ask yourself how you navigate through content on the phone. Our old modular approach - where there were designated areas for different types of content - has served you well on the desktop, but you don't often click on navigation links on your phone, do you? Would you rather not scroll, discovering more and more content as you go, rather than looking for it behind tabs and navigation buttons?
While it's stupid rebutting something when most people my agree with it I'll this: I like areas for different types of content so I know where it is. I always use navigation links on my phone, because I know I can get where I need to go. A never ending page means that the information I want is often nigh inaccessible, and not organising things properly means that specific content is impossible to find. I don't want to discover content as I go. If I want to discover things as I go I'll go for a walk in the mountains, not on the internet. I'd like to be able to find what I want.

Not a fan of the increasing paywalling of the internet either, as while there are the Shortens of this world wanting to punish people for working hard I'd rather hang onto every penny I can, but I suppose that's the way things are going.

Last edited:

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I like change, but I hate this new cricinfo format. My visit to cricinfo reduced by 50% when they changed it last time. The version 2 iterations earlier was the best.

News articles and scorecards were easier to find. Then they made it difficult for news articles. Now they have made it difficult for everything. I think my visit% will reduce to something like 5% now.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It turns out that the match archive now being useless is inconsequential because you can't get full scorecards for any of the older matches anyway. You get the team total, FoW and extras. Neither the batting nor bowling figures display and the links to all the match reports etc are gone.
This doesn't appear to be true in my experience...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That's *hopefully* just something they haven't properly implement yet, and not a deliberate decision. Otherwise the site is dead to me.