• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashwin didn't really say that did he?

ImpatientLime

International Regular
his response hasn't helped either.

a flimsy attempt to put things straight and then a sort of vague denial that he actually said it.

just apologise for the crass comment and move on.

Kirkut

International Regular
That's how sportsmen think, they think from their hearts and may end up saying something naive.

I remember how Dravid compared Harbhajan Singh with Sobers after he scored 2 fiery tons against NZ in back to back tests. Or how Yusuf Pathan was compared to Viv Richards after his 37 ball 100 by VVS Laxman. Not that I'm comparing what Dravid and Laxman said with the bizarre statement from Ashwin, but the point here is that do not expect anything objective from a sports person unless he's a Cambridge pass out like Mike Atherton.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's how sportsmen think, they think from their hearts and may end up saying something naive.

I remember how Dravid compared Harbhajan Singh with Sobers after he scored 2 fiery tons against NZ in back to back tests. Or how Yusuf Pathan was compared to Viv Richards after his 37 ball 100 by VVS Laxman. Not that I'm comparing what Dravid and Laxman said with the bizarre statement from Ashwin, but the point here is that do not expect anything objective from a sports person unless he's a Cambridge pass out like Mike Atherton.
I don't think those comparisons really apply to the one Ashwin used. His comments were inelegant but I don't see them as in any way malicious.

Daemon

I don't think kirkut was suggesting they were malicious at all. Clearly they weren't intended to be.

SillyCowCorner1

I didn't know about the Munich incident prior to him stating this. He must have done a huge amount of research to have found something to mirror the CSK recovery.

But choosing this event was so not suitable.

Misquote or not, this is unacceptable

Agar

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I didn't know about the Munich incident prior to him stating this. He must have done a huge amount of research to have found something to mirror the CSK recovery.
No, this does not seem correct. Most likely he already knew about the tragedy and, in a moment of thoughtless stupidity (or over-thought cleverness, pick your poison), he saw it fit to compare it to the hiatus forced on his team. One does not just google up stuff to compare their situation to.

Daemon

But choosing this event was so not suitable.

Misquote or not, this is unacceptable
I think most football fans would know about it. I knew and I don't think I've ever watched a full game.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Stupid thing to say from Ash and I agree with LT here. He should just say it was a spur of the moment stupidity and move on.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I am starting to think he is actually a moron who is desperate to come across as intelligent these days.

TheJediBrah

His brain is so big and analytical that he fails to comprehend the sensitive emotions of mortal humans, which is what leads to this sort of misunderstanding

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Haha, what a stupid thing to say.
Ashwin is like most new-generation Indians. Ill-read, awareness stemming primarily from internet memes and little else, but who nevertheless carry a giant chip on their shoulders. Toxic mix of entitlement and subdued inferiority complex.