• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Draft suggestion: AusWI Xis

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
As a sequel to the "counties by initial" draft from earlier this year...

There are 6 states in the Australian Sheffield Shield, and 6 (regular, regional) teams in the West Indies FC competition, giving a total of 12 teams: New South Wales, Queensland, South Austraia, Tasmania, Victoria, Western Australia; Barbados, Guyana, Jamaica, Leeward Islands, Trinidad & Tobago, Windward Islands.

Each of the 11 players you pick must represent (i.e. have played FC cricket for) a different one of these 12 teams, with no restriction on which one state/region you choose not to represent.

Open to people's opinions as to whether:
a) Non-Australians should be eligible to represent the Australian states (and similarly for the WI, although I'm not aware of any non-West Indians playing domestic cricket there)
b) Players who have played for multiple states/regions should be allowed to represent any of them, or just the one they played for first. I'm inclined to go for "the one they played for first".

(And I guess the usual "no Bradman" rule will apply).

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sounds like a good 'un - with you on point b)

Inclined to say yes for a), so I can pick Simmo for Tasmania - much better than that Ponting bloke

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I'm in.

I think just make it that they represented the state/region at some time. Makes it simpler.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Should be any state they played for IMO. Lindwall had a better career with QLD than he did with NSW. Harris only came good when he moved to QLD.

It also makes it easier to figure out eligible players.

AndrewB

The main reason I'm reluctant to allow "any state they played for" is you then end up with picks like "Dennis Lillee - Tasmania" and "Gary Sobers - South Australia" which kind of defeats the point of the draft. There are some instances as you say where a player isn't really associated with the first state they played for, but it's less common that way round.

I preferred the "eligible for side they played most games for" criterion in the "county initial" draft, but then it's even more effort to find out eligible players, especially now CricketArchive isn't freely accessible. Or we could have "eligible for and side they played for for 5+ seasons".

On a side note, is that really true about Lindwall? He was 33 when he moved to QLD, and although still a fine bowler his Test average in that part of his career was nearly 30, whereas before that it'd been just over 20.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
The main reason I'm reluctant to allow "any state they played for" is you then end up with picks like "Dennis Lillee - Tasmania" and "Gary Sobers - South Australia" .
Kind of gives an interesting tactical angle though...

AndrewB

I think we have 10 players signed up... I'll start the draft this evening (UK time), and we'll go with "overseas players allowed" and "only first state/region allowed". (Still happy for 2 or 3 more players to sign up).