• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Really good umpires!

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Just to redress the balance a bit. Not too many to choose from. Dickie Bird wasn't quite as good as legend would have you believe, but wasn't shown up by technology. I still put Simon Taufel at the top of the pile. It was a shame he came and went at such a young age.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Not a fan of umpires regulating the spirit of cricket bs instead of the rules during a game.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Just to redress the balance a bit. Not too many to choose from. Dickie Bird wasn't quite as good as legend would have you believe, but wasn't shown up by technology. I still put Simon Taufel at the top of the pile. It was a shame he came and went at such a young age.
Famous for never giving LBs.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Taufel was excellent, I think he is training top level umpires now.

Among the current lot I really rate Gould, Kettleborough, Dar and Erasmus - no particular order

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Taufel is the GOAT of umpires. Very level-headed, precise decision maker who was great with the players. Not only was it a shame he retired, but also that the silly neutral umpire rule stopped him officiating WC finals (given Australia always made them) and Ashes series.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Taufel is the GOAT of umpires. Very level-headed, precise decision maker who was great with the players. Not only was it a shame he retired, but also that the silly neutral umpire rule stopped him officiating WC finals (given Australia always made them) and Ashes series.
Nah that rule is there for a reason

did you ever see a tour of India in the 90s?

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
And there has never been a case of an Australian home umpire being a biased ****wit has there.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
well if we're being honest I'm not old enough to have seen cricket from the 90s

I started watching some youtube clips once but it looked boring and ****, modern cricket is so much better