• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is test cricket about to enter a golden phase of captaincy?

subshakerz

International Coach
I was thinking about this the other day. It seems world cricket is being blessed with some fine captaincy candidates at the moment to make their teams more competitive.

Kohli - Clearly has more to learn, but has shown tremendous ambition and confidence in himself and team

Williamson - Seems patient, calm and thoughtful as a captain thus far

Steve Smith - After a slump last year, has rebounded and shown strength and maturity to rally his team

Du Plessis - A less conservative and more forward-thinking SA captain so far

Sarfraz Ahmed - Early signs are good that he can shake Pakistan out of the defensive mindset that inhibited them of late

Joe Root - Again early, but seems promising and capable

Of course, it doesnt apply to all teams, but I cant remember a team when captaincy levels seems to be on the upswing. Any thoughts?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Its just that a lot of the sides have new captains now around the same 2 year window or so. So it "seems" exciting. We will wait and see, I suppose.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Don’t know why Ponting would be associated with any golden era of captaincy. Had great success in first few years but was largely because he was helming an all-time great side.

Post 06/07 his personality and tactical weaknesses became exposed constantly; he was especially poor in handling spin post-Warne.

Was clearly respected by his teammates throughout but overall, thought Taylor & Clarke were better Test captains of Oz.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don’t know why Ponting would be associated with any golden era of captaincy. Had great success in first few years but was largely because he was helming an all-time great side.

Post 06/07 his personality and tactical weaknesses became exposed constantly; he was especially poor in handling spin post-Warne.

Was clearly respected by his teammates throughout but overall, thought Taylor & Clarke were better Test captains of Oz.
I've never understood these criticisms of Ponting's captaincy. They don't see to based on any facts but more from people disliking him personally for their own reasons.

He was an excellent captain, if anything a little more defensive than Waugh & Clarke but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I think people just remember him as being emotional and angry at times. Saying he had any specific significant "tactical weaknesses" is absurd and his handling of spin was fine. Just all the spinners post-Warne were **** in comparison and it's not his fault the selectors changed them every series.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
He bowled part timers at a crucial phase of a test match (and series) away from home to ensure he does not get banned. I dunno where you are from but that is the very definition of selfish, defensive and stupid captaincy all at the same time. And this from a guy who called Lara "selfish" for his 400. :laugh:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ricky Ponting ensuring he didn't get banned was controversial yes but really he was the country's best bat so its pretty crucial he stays in the side

not saying that it wasnt selfish from his perspective mind

TheJediBrah

He bowled part timers at a crucial phase of a test match (and series) away from home to ensure he does not get banned. I dunno where you are from but that is the very definition of selfish, defensive and stupid captaincy all at the same time. And this from a guy who called Lara "selfish" for his 400. :laugh:
Are we gonna pretend like Lara's 400 wasn't the most selfish act in cricket history?

Again, purely tactically speaking, having contemporaries like Ganguly and Alistair "deep point" Cook made him look like tactical genius

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Lol yep. The nagpur test. He basically handed us the series on a plate.
When was this? I can only find a test in 2008 where part-timers didn't really bowl and India won easily, and one in 2004 that Australia won easily and Ponting wasn't even playing

edit: not saying I don't believe you just interested in seeing the context

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
I think Ponting being seen as a poor captain is a testament to the quality of the others at the time. Ponting was a very competent captain.

TheJediBrah

I think Ponting being seen as a poor captain is a testament to the quality of the others at the time. Ponting was a very competent captain.
Not everyone can be Steven "3 gullies for Damien Martyn and 4 deep backward square-legs for Adam Gilchrist" Fleming

subshakerz

International Coach
Ponting if I am not wrong is the only captain to lose three Ashes series. That should disqualify him from serious consideration, no?

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
When was this? I can only find a test in 2008 where part-timers didn't really bowl and India won easily, and one in 2004 that Australia won easily and Ponting wasn't even playing

edit: not saying I don't believe you just interested in seeing the context
From The Age

That chance faded after Ponting was told he was 10 overs behind the required rate. Mitchell Johnson bowled the first over after tea but Cameron White and Mike Hussey were then brought into the attack and leaked 45 runs between them in six overs. In the commentary box, Allan Border, the former Australian captain whose name adorns the trophy, was incredulous.

"I don't know what to make of all this. They go into the tea break on a high and come out worrying about over rates," Border said on air. "I am glad Ricky can't read my mind right now because he is not going to like it".
Mike Hussey :laugh: Crazy thing is that Michael Clarke bowled after Hussey; considering he'd taken 3 wickets in an over earlier that year against the same opponents to win a Test, how on earth was he brought on after Hussey if they wanted quick overs?

Daemon

Ponting was selfless. He often took on the risk of being banned for cheating so he could increase his team's chances of winning. Great captain and masterful cheat.