Thread: Test Top 5s (as of now)

Top 5 test players

Steve Smith
    Rangana Herath
    Ravi Ashwin
    Moeen Ali
    Any top batsman out of Williamson/Cook/Root

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Oh come on. Lyon has to be in there. He has been bowling consistently well for Australia for a while now.

International Captain TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratters View Post
    Oh come on. Lyon has to be in there. He has been bowling consistently well for Australia for a while now.
    NSW spinners:

1) Steve O'Keefe
    2) Will Somerville
    3) Gurinder Sandhu slower balls
    4) Mason Crane
    5) That kid from the Under-19s
    Nathan Lyon is at least somewhere in the top 50 to be fair to him
    zorax and 91Jmay like this.

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    How many test wickets have they taken buddy?

U19 Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by MW1304 View Post
    I don't think it's controversial to say, as of right now, Broad is the more well-rounded bowler. Jimmy still has the better career, although that could change, but I for one would say Broad is better. It's still close tbf.
    The same Broad who, over the same time period since the start of 2014, has an almost 3 run worse average, a worse strike rate, fewer 5 fors, no 10 fors (Jimmy has 1) and a worse best match?
    Jimmy is significantly better than Broad at the minute and has been his whole career, particularily over the past 3.5 years.

International 12th Man ImpatientLime's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Root is so much better than Williamson, not sure on what metric you can put him ahead.
    kw convert his starts more often.

we all know how good root is, but he has to go on a monster run and be more ruthless if we're to describe him as 'so much better than kw'.

International Captain mr_mister's Avatar
    still think there's nothing separating the big four and i also think they are far ahead of the 5th bloke, who I think is quite clearly QDK now. Azhar Ali has yet to wow me despite some big sexy hundreds. QDK may catch up one day sure.

I feel like every time one of the big four has a great series(like Root might have in the next few weeks) they just jump to the front of everyone's mind.
    Last edited by mr_mister; 11-07-2017 at 07:12 AM.
    cricket rules brah

International 12th Man ImpatientLime's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_mister View Post
    still think there's nothing separating the big four and i also think they are far ahead of the 5th bloke, who I think is quite clearly QDK now. Azhar Ali has yet to wow me despite some big sexy hundreds. QDK may catch up one day sure.

I feel like every time one of the big four has a great series(like Root might have in the next few weeks) they just jump to the front of everyone's mind.
    i think that was the case say, 12 months ago. but smith has pulled out in front of the other 3 now.

yeah he's started getting really consistent, and I love him, but i still never feel that confident when he's at the crease. he looks like getting out a lot to me just because of his 'ugly' style.

but yeah as i say this i realise his results are too damn good to ignore. still think he's the most likely to 'fall off' in his late 20s/early 30s and not make the 35+ hundreds we expect all 4 to make. cant really justify this thought other than gambhiring/ugly technique. hope im wrong too

Smith has definitely pulled ahead of the others for me, just keeps on making lots and lots of runs. Root and Williamson I can't really separate, Kohli was godlike for a while but then turned into Chris Martin, so we'll just have to see where he goes from here.

OTOH, whilst I'm not at all doubting of QDK's ability, he will never be one of the 'Big 5' until he bats up the order and carries on doing his stuff there. Not his fault he's not coming in at 4, of course.
    Want every conversation to be about cricket? Download your copy of The Cricketer's Lexicon now! It's a constantly evolving project, so contribute here!

yeah he's started getting really consistent, and I love him, but i still never feel that confident when he's at the crease. he looks like getting out a lot to me just because of his 'ugly' style.

but yeah as i say this i realise his results are too damn good to ignore. still think he's the most likely to 'fall off' in his late 20s/early 30s and not make the 35+ hundreds we expect all 4 to make. cant really justify this thought other than gambhiring/ugly technique. hope im wrong too
    Chanderpaul made an ugly technique work for him well into his mid 30s.
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    "Still waiting for bole trekking Marayyye". Keep Kumar up in the third umpires box please,its hilarious. Him almost screwing up a DRS referral a definite highlight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Ashwin is like one of those paintings whose eye always follows you around the room. He'd be hell in a court room. The judge and the witness would always think he's lookong at both of them at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    You are basically saying he would have made an amazing lawyer. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    No im saying he's partly cross-eyed.

see i have all the confidence in the world Kohli will come back with a bang in the next test series he plays in. he seems too damn hungry and his technique just looks so damn classy.

it didnt even seem like his confidence took any kind of dent that series against us. body language remained so positive in the field and stuff
    Last edited by mr_mister; 11-07-2017 at 07:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shri View Post
    Chanderpaul made an ugly technique work for him well into his mid 30s.

yeah i know. its def possible but i have less confidence for him thats all. anyway, its a little sad shiv is considered so much lower on the totem pole than his peers despite being statistically right up there with them
    Shri likes this.

still think there's nothing separating the big four.
    see i have all the confidence in the world Kohli will come back with a bang in the next test series he plays in.
    This will totally be something that comes back to bite me in the ass, but I think we've got enough data now to say that Kohli is a tiny smidgeon below the other three. Smith, Root and Williamson, then Kohli just a tiny tier below them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    "You don't look like me in this world without being firm on what you want to do."

- Hashim Amla.
    Quote Originally Posted by DriveClub View Post
    He bowls with a lot of heart, his heart makes the ball bounce more

see i have all the confidence in the world Kohli will come back with a bang in the next test series he plays in. he seems too damn hungry and his technique just looks so damn classy.

it didnt even seem like his confidence took any kind of dent that series against us. body language remained so positive in the field and stuff
    imo, unlike the other three Kohli's favorite format is ODIs, so he might not reach the level of the other three even if he has the quality for it.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information