Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Really Bad Umpires!

Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_mister View Post

also Rudi's slow finger always made me roll my eyes. Nobody watches cricket for your melodrama mate
    Oh god fully agree.

Hate umpires who want to make a big spectacle and be the centre of attention out there. Bowden, Rudi's slow finger nonsense, even Bucknor's "I'll wait for until the bowler stops appealing and almost runs in to bowl the next ball before giving the batsman out" shtick. Shepherd atleast only did it for one specific moment, so it was forgivable.

Another reason why Taufel was the best. No bullshit, solid decision making and was handsome as **** just doing his thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Wow baby, that gave me an orgasmic pleasure!
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaagarkarajaaja View Post
    All Prasie to Ajit Bhalchandra Agarkar, the pride of Mumbai, the terminator at Adelaide.
    Quote Originally Posted by VoL View Post
    I've joined this forum, just so that i can agree with OverratedSanity...

This is the farcical Bucknor incident I mentioned. "Excellent" umpire indeed. Bloke was always rubbish. No idea how he had that reputation as a good umpire.

Can't hate him completely though since he was key in us winning a series in England.

Last edited by OverratedSanity; 11-07-2017 at 10:19 AM.

International 12th Man SillyCowCorner1's Avatar
    Aleem Dar pre-beard > Aleem Dar with beard
    OverratedSanity likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SillyCowCorner1 View Post
    Aleem Dar pre-beard > Aleem Dar with beard
    There was a stretch in 2011 where Dar was on fire and barely got any decisions wrong. He had like 15-20 decisions referred in the 2011 World cup and not one of them was overturned iirc. Obviously there were several umpire's calls, but it was still impressive.

He's had his fair share of shockers too, though.

International Captain mr_mister's Avatar
    ah okay so thats why Bucknor is lumped into the premadonna category. I honestly thought he just liked to take his time and think very carefully over the decision. but maybe sometimes he milked it a little too hard
    cricket rules brah

Pistol Reiffel seems like a pretty damn good umpire on the other hand

International 12th Man SillyCowCorner1's Avatar
    Pistol Reiffel seems like a pretty damn good umpire on the other hand
    Because of the fact that he was a bowler, he knows the plight of the trade to be turned down.

Excellent guy.

Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    Oh god fully agree.

Hate umpires who want to make a big spectacle and be the centre of attention out there. Bowden, Rudi's slow finger nonsense, even Bucknor's "I'll wait for until the bowler stops appealing and almost runs in to bowl the next ball before giving the batsman out" shtick. Shepherd atleast only did it for one specific moment, so it was forgivable.

Another reason why Taufel was the best. No bullshit, solid decision making and was handsome as **** just doing his thing.
    I mean, that usually isn't a schtick

Part of what made them Elite umpires was their ability to keep their cool and review the appeal thoroughly in their head before giving it out

You are told specifically, as an umpire, to not be quick on pulling the trigger. To think decisions over. That it's better to be slow than to be wrong. It's why you're allowed to make a decision anytime before the next ball is supposed to be bowled

If you want bad umpiring look for those who don't seem to review their decisions enough and tend to go on gut feeling instead
    Check out The Cricket Web Podcast!

The Cricket Web Podcast #33 - I Just Wanna Talk About Vernon Philander

iTunes
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If only Kane Richardson had played some HK domestic cricket before his ODI debut.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    The Hong Kong Blitz is better than the IPL.

Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post

Part of what made them Elite umpires was their ability to keep their cool and review the appeal thoroughly in their head before giving it out

You are told specifically, as an umpire, to not be quick on pulling the trigger. To think decisions over. That it's better to be slow than to be wrong. It's why you're allowed to make a decision anytime before the next ball is supposed to be bowled

If you want bad umpiring look for those who don't seem to review their decisions enough and tend to go on gut feeling instead

that excuses Bucknor, but will you accept Rudi and Bowden were attention seeking man children? Bowden especially.
    OverratedSanity likes this.

that excuses Bucknor, but will you accept Rudi and Bowden were attention seeking man children? Bowden especially.
    I mean I can't say that without knowing them

One of the things you learn when you start umpiring regularly is that you develop quirks in terms of how you make the signals, how you make decisions, how you like to conduct the game

A lot of it just happens inadvertently. I really don't know hoa much of their mannerisms are just natural to them and they just stuck with it, and how much was rehearsed and something they consciously payed attention to as a part of a schtick they did because they wanted attention

I can tell you though, that if all their antics were not authentic, they are incredibly fine actors to have kept it up for so long and in such trying circumstances
    Last edited by zorax; 11-07-2017 at 06:26 PM.

Im not partically mad about Bowden's crooked finger. But his dancing six signal is just cringe

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
    Suicide Bob Champion!

One of the things you learn when you start umpiring regularly is that you develop quirks in terms of how you make the signals, how you make decisions, how you like to conduct the game

A lot of it just happens inadvertently. I really don't know hoa much of their mannerisms are just natural to them and they just stuck with it, and how much was rehearsed and something they consciously payed attention to as a part of a schtick they did because they wanted attention

I can tell you though, that if all their antics were not authentic, they are incredibly fine actors to have kept it up for so long and in such trying circumstances
    pipe down you've umpired like 3 games of u13 cricket ffs
    OverratedSanity, zorax and vcs like this.

U19 Vice-Captain Biryani Pillow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    pipe down you've umpired like 3 games of u13 cricket ffs
    Doesn't make it any less true

Correct.

i have a few each season which instinct says is out, or not out, but two or three seconds going through the mental checklist produces a different result.

In the same way I will, a couple of overs into a new bowler, have an idea of how the ball is bouncing from a good length. But I'm always ready for the surprise.

The hardest pitch on which to umpire is the road - nothing will happen all game, until something does, and you have to be ready.
    zorax likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Biryani Pillow View Post
    Kiser Hayat - mentioned earlier, was - shall we say - selective in his decision making. Another Pakistani, Shakeel Khan I think his name was, in the 80s seemed quite creative when the mood suited.
    Yeah, Shakeel had a shocker in the first test of that 1987 series. Even worse than Rana in the 2nd test, actually.

Mind you, Pakistani and Indian cricketers and fans of a certain age will assure us that David Constant was equally partisan.

The other one who spings to mind is Peter McConnell, the Australian who sledged Phil Tufnell during the 1990/91 Ashes and turned down a spate of decent appeals.
    Last edited by wpdavid; 12-07-2017 at 06:32 AM.

No mention of BC Cooray yet?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information