• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Really Bad Umpires!

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Im not partically mad about Bowden's crooked finger. But his dancing six signal is just cringe

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I mean I can't say that without knowing them

One of the things you learn when you start umpiring regularly is that you develop quirks in terms of how you make the signals, how you make decisions, how you like to conduct the game

A lot of it just happens inadvertently. I really don't know hoa much of their mannerisms are just natural to them and they just stuck with it, and how much was rehearsed and something they consciously payed attention to as a part of a schtick they did because they wanted attention

I can tell you though, that if all their antics were not authentic, they are incredibly fine actors to have kept it up for so long and in such trying circumstances
pipe down you've umpired like 3 games of u13 cricket ffs

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain

One of the things you learn when you start umpiring regularly is that you develop quirks in terms of how you make the signals, how you make decisions, how you like to conduct the game

A lot of it just happens inadvertently. I really don't know hoa much of their mannerisms are just natural to them and they just stuck with it, and how much was rehearsed and something they consciously payed attention to as a part of a schtick they did because they wanted attention

I can tell you though, that if all their antics were not authentic, they are incredibly fine actors to have kept it up for so long and in such trying circumstances
pipe down you've umpired like 3 games of u13 cricket ffs
Doesn't make it any less true :happy:

I mean, that usually isn't a schtick

Part of what made them Elite umpires was their ability to keep their cool and review the appeal thoroughly in their head before giving it out

You are told specifically, as an umpire, to not be quick on pulling the trigger. To think decisions over. That it's better to be slow than to be wrong. It's why you're allowed to make a decision anytime before the next ball is supposed to be bowled

If you want bad umpiring look for those who don't seem to review their decisions enough and tend to go on gut feeling instead
Correct.

i have a few each season which instinct says is out, or not out, but two or three seconds going through the mental checklist produces a different result.

In the same way I will, a couple of overs into a new bowler, have an idea of how the ball is bouncing from a good length. But I'm always ready for the surprise.

The hardest pitch on which to umpire is the road - nothing will happen all game, until something does, and you have to be ready.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Kiser Hayat - mentioned earlier, was - shall we say - selective in his decision making. Another Pakistani, Shakeel Khan I think his name was, in the 80s seemed quite creative when the mood suited.
Yeah, Shakeel had a shocker in the first test of that 1987 series. Even worse than Rana in the 2nd test, actually.

Mind you, Pakistani and Indian cricketers and fans of a certain age will assure us that David Constant was equally partisan.

The other one who spings to mind is Peter McConnell, the Australian who sledged Phil Tufnell during the 1990/91 Ashes and turned down a spate of decent appeals.

Last edited:

Bijed

International Regular
Pistol Reiffel seems like a pretty damn good umpire on the other hand
Nah, he's obviously not that accurate as otherwise his nickname would be sniper :ph34r:

But then I suppose if he was really bad he;d be called shotgun because of all the batsmen he's sawn off

Last edited:

Bijed

International Regular
Some of Lou Rowan's exploits are probably too embroiled in controversy to be judged fairly, but seems pretty awful. Refusing the use of the roller is just bizarre

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Rowan came across as the same type of pompous self important nitwit as Fred Goodall in New Zealand (the one attacked by Colin Croft in his run up).

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Did you ever read John Snow's autobiography? He wasn't impressed with Rowan at all.
I haven't read that. But I know the England 1970/71 Ashes Tour party didn't like him for a number of reasons. The Snow/Jenner bouncer incident being the most infamous.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Has anyone mentioned the immortal Javed Aktar (RIP). In the 1998 series against South Africa he made 8 mistakes in England's favour at Headingley which enabled England to win the series. Just to prove it wasn't bias he knocked England out of the 1999 World Cup with an extraordinary LBW against Graham Thorpe.

Bijed

International Regular

Huh, so even this long ago, ***** was defending literally everything umpires do ;)

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Huh, so even this long ago, ***** was defending literally everything umpires do ;)
Yes this was early in *****’s career. Think he had umpired four U-13 indoor games that season and was brimming with insight.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
with regards to that earlier premadonna comment, its obvious that Billy was an attention seeker but Bucknor? He seemed like the chillest dude ever, despite maybe being a crap umpire. Loved his style and deamanour. It seemed natural and the way he gave batsmen out was very clear, smooth and simple

Bowden was cringe city, jesus christ i hate that man.

also Rudi's slow finger always made me roll my eyes. Nobody watches cricket for your melodrama mate

as for hte worst umpire ever, this bloke

Irked me how the 2005 Ashes was officially concluded by Bowden & Rudi (after bad light) did a theatrical dragging out of removing the bails from the stumps with the cameras right next to them.

A great series with great performers on both sides and the umps made the conclusion all about them. Sums them up.