• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Really Bad Umpires!

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Look TJB, umm, I know our view of people is often understandably influenced largely by our own experiences of them, but he is a convicted *** offender. I sort of think that DQs him from good bloke qualification.

TheJediBrah

His cricket and professional careers ended when he was convicted in August 1999 of 15 separate counts of ***ual assault against nine schoolgirls of ages 10-12 while teaching at a Catholic primary school between 1981 and 1982.[2][3][4] He was sentenced to four years jail with a two-year minimum, and was released on parole in May 2002.[2]

Wow, terrible stuff.
4 years jail?

What

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The worst umpire who wasn't a cheat was the late Rex Whitehead. In the 82/83 Ashes Series where there were over 50 glaring errors he was still a gold medallist. One caught behind of David Gower's hip defied even Darwin's theory of evolution.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Kiser Hayat - mentioned earlier, was - shall we say - selective in his decision making. Another Pakistani, Shakeel Khan I think his name was, in the 80s seemed quite creative when the mood suited.

I recall Alex Stewart being given LBW by a 'home' umpire in Sri Lanka when Jayasuryia was bowling over the wicket, and quite wide out. The ball pitched at least a foot outside of leg stump and likely wouldn't have hit them anyway.

Steve Bucknor was actually an excellent umpire until the final couple of years of his career when his standards slipped. The same was also true of David Shepherd - the best umpire I have seen.

I have been told by someone in the know that Billy Bowden wasn't rated at all by the players - Australia often tried to get him bumped from their games, and sometimes succeeded. Of the recent ones he's the least impressive. Too many times I couldn't see what he was thinking.

Of course, many are happy to throw out the glib term 'shocker' for a decision where the umpire has made a slight error, shown up by myriad camera angles and fairly accurate technology. These people have never done any worthwhile umpiring.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I recall Alex Stewart being given LBW by a 'home' umpire in Sri Lanka when Jayasuryia was bowling over the wicket, and quite wide out. The ball pitched at least a foot outside of leg stump and likely wouldn't have hit them anyway.

I remember that match. The umpiring was so bad you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. It ended up working in England's favour though as BC Cooray in the second Test refused to give any English batsman out. Nasser Hussain had at least four innings (to be fair to him he'd been sawn off several times in Pakistan and Sri Lanka that winter) in making a century. He even gave Hick Not Out from a straight forward caught and bowled off Murali.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Kiser Hayat - mentioned earlier, was - shall we say - selective in his decision making. Another Pakistani, Shakeel Khan I think his name was, in the 80s seemed quite creative when the mood suited.

Steve Bucknor was actually an excellent umpire until the final couple of years of his career when his standards slipped. The same was also true of David Shepherd - the best umpire I have seen.

I have been told by someone in the know that Billy Bowden wasn't rated at all by the players - Australia often tried to get him bumped from their games, and sometimes succeeded. Of the recent ones he's the least impressive. Too many times I couldn't see what he was thinking.

Of course, many are happy to throw out the glib term 'shocker' for a decision where the umpire has made a slight error, shown up by myriad camera angles and fairly accurate technology. These people have never done any worthwhile umpiring.
Probably 'how I can I get everyone to look at me'

OverratedSanity

I suppose he was "excellent" back in 1994 when he had no idea how many overs were left and allowed Australia's batsmen to shake the England fielders' hands and almost walk all the way to the pavilion before realising he ****ed up and told them to play another over?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
with regards to that earlier premadonna comment, its obvious that Billy was an attention seeker but Bucknor? He seemed like the chillest dude ever, despite maybe being a crap umpire. Loved his style and deamanour. It seemed natural and the way he gave batsmen out was very clear, smooth and simple

Bowden was cringe city, jesus christ i hate that man.

also Rudi's slow finger always made me roll my eyes. Nobody watches cricket for your melodrama mate

as for hte worst umpire ever, this bloke

Last edited:

SillyCowCorner1

The first appeal...it appeared as if the ball may be doing too much, and perhaps missing or clipping leg-stump. But the second one was absolutely plumb.

OverratedSanity

also Rudi's slow finger always made me roll my eyes. Nobody watches cricket for your melodrama mate
Oh god fully agree.

Hate umpires who want to make a big spectacle and be the centre of attention out there. Bowden, Rudi's slow finger nonsense, even Bucknor's "I'll wait for until the bowler stops appealing and almost runs in to bowl the next ball before giving the batsman out" shtick. Shepherd atleast only did it for one specific moment, so it was forgivable.

Another reason why Taufel was the best. No bull****, solid decision making and was handsome as **** just doing his thing.

OverratedSanity

This is the farcical Bucknor incident I mentioned. "Excellent" umpire indeed. Bloke was always rubbish. No idea how he had that reputation as a good umpire.

Can't hate him completely though since he was key in us winning a series in England.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Aleem Dar pre-beard > Aleem Dar with beard
There was a stretch in 2011 where Dar was on fire and barely got any decisions wrong. He had like 15-20 decisions referred in the 2011 World cup and not one of them was overturned iirc. Obviously there were several umpire's calls, but it was still impressive.

He's had his fair share of shockers too, though.

mr_mister

ah okay so thats why Bucknor is lumped into the premadonna category. I honestly thought he just liked to take his time and think very carefully over the decision. but maybe sometimes he milked it a little too hard

cnerd123

likes this
Oh god fully agree.

Hate umpires who want to make a big spectacle and be the centre of attention out there. Bowden, Rudi's slow finger nonsense, even Bucknor's "I'll wait for until the bowler stops appealing and almost runs in to bowl the next ball before giving the batsman out" shtick. Shepherd atleast only did it for one specific moment, so it was forgivable.

Another reason why Taufel was the best. No bull****, solid decision making and was handsome as **** just doing his thing.
I mean, that usually isn't a schtick

Part of what made them Elite umpires was their ability to keep their cool and review the appeal thoroughly in their head before giving it out

You are told specifically, as an umpire, to not be quick on pulling the trigger. To think decisions over. That it's better to be slow than to be wrong. It's why you're allowed to make a decision anytime before the next ball is supposed to be bowled

If you want bad umpiring look for those who don't seem to review their decisions enough and tend to go on gut feeling instead

mr_mister

I mean, that usually isn't a schtick

Part of what made them Elite umpires was their ability to keep their cool and review the appeal thoroughly in their head before giving it out

You are told specifically, as an umpire, to not be quick on pulling the trigger. To think decisions over. That it's better to be slow than to be wrong. It's why you're allowed to make a decision anytime before the next ball is supposed to be bowled

If you want bad umpiring look for those who don't seem to review their decisions enough and tend to go on gut feeling instead

that excuses Bucknor, but will you accept Rudi and Bowden were attention seeking man children? Bowden especially.

cnerd123

likes this
that excuses Bucknor, but will you accept Rudi and Bowden were attention seeking man children? Bowden especially.
I mean I can't say that without knowing them

One of the things you learn when you start umpiring regularly is that you develop quirks in terms of how you make the signals, how you make decisions, how you like to conduct the game

A lot of it just happens inadvertently. I really don't know hoa much of their mannerisms are just natural to them and they just stuck with it, and how much was rehearsed and something they consciously payed attention to as a part of a schtick they did because they wanted attention

I can tell you though, that if all their antics were not authentic, they are incredibly fine actors to have kept it up for so long and in such trying circumstances

Last edited: