Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Really Bad Umpires!

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    His cricket and professional careers ended when he was convicted in August 1999 of 15 separate counts of sexual assault against nine schoolgirls of ages 10-12 while teaching at a Catholic primary school between 1981 and 1982.[2][3][4] He was sentenced to four years jail with a two-year minimum, and was released on parole in May 2002.[2]

Wow, terrible stuff.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    Bucknor, Bowden etc were umpires who were good when they first came in and stayed good for few years before becoming shockingly bad and getting worse for a very long time. Did not help that both bought into their own hype as well and started behaving like prima donnas when no one gave a **** about their antics.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

International Captain TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Randall. **** has given me out lbw after smashing it, failed to give massive edges caught behind and is just hopeless in general. He had to go off the field one year when it got over 35C (he's not even that old).

Great bloke but shocking umpire

There's a special place in hell for Billy Bowden.
    ​63*

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Come on Lancashire!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Let it be known for the record that the font in the top of the picture noted that Kohli was wearing Jimmy Choo shoes and Happy Socks

Quote Originally Posted by Pratters View Post
    His cricket and professional careers ended when he was convicted in August 1999 of 15 separate counts of sexual assault against nine schoolgirls of ages 10-12 while teaching at a Catholic primary school between 1981 and 1982.[2][3][4] He was sentenced to four years jail with a two-year minimum, and was released on parole in May 2002.[2]

Wow, terrible stuff.
    It is, isn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    "Still waiting for bole trekking Marayyye". Keep Kumar up in the third umpires box please,its hilarious. Him almost screwing up a DRS referral a definite highlight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Ashwin is like one of those paintings whose eye always follows you around the room. He'd be hell in a court room. The judge and the witness would always think he's lookong at both of them at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    You are basically saying he would have made an amazing lawyer. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    No im saying he's partly cross-eyed.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Look TJB, umm, I know our view of people is often understandably influenced largely by our own experiences of them, but he is a convicted *** offender. I sort of think that DQs him from good bloke qualification.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shri View Post
    It is, isn't it?

International Captain TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratters View Post

Wow, terrible stuff.
    4 years jail?

What

Cricketer Of The Year
    The worst umpire who wasn't a cheat was the late Rex Whitehead. In the 82/83 Ashes Series where there were over 50 glaring errors he was still a gold medallist. One caught behind of David Gower's hip defied even Darwin's theory of evolution.

U19 Vice-Captain Biryani Pillow's Avatar
    Kiser Hayat - mentioned earlier, was - shall we say - selective in his decision making. Another Pakistani, Shakeel Khan I think his name was, in the 80s seemed quite creative when the mood suited.

I recall Alex Stewart being given LBW by a 'home' umpire in Sri Lanka when Jayasuryia was bowling over the wicket, and quite wide out. The ball pitched at least a foot outside of leg stump and likely wouldn't have hit them anyway.

Steve Bucknor was actually an excellent umpire until the final couple of years of his career when his standards slipped. The same was also true of David Shepherd - the best umpire I have seen.

I have been told by someone in the know that Billy Bowden wasn't rated at all by the players - Australia often tried to get him bumped from their games, and sometimes succeeded. Of the recent ones he's the least impressive. Too many times I couldn't see what he was thinking.

Of course, many are happy to throw out the glib term 'shocker' for a decision where the umpire has made a slight error, shown up by myriad camera angles and fairly accurate technology. These people have never done any worthwhile umpiring.

Cricketer Of The Year
    Quote Originally Posted by Biryani Pillow View Post

I recall Alex Stewart being given LBW by a 'home' umpire in Sri Lanka when Jayasuryia was bowling over the wicket, and quite wide out. The ball pitched at least a foot outside of leg stump and likely wouldn't have hit them anyway.

I remember that match. The umpiring was so bad you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. It ended up working in England's favour though as BC Cooray in the second Test refused to give any English batsman out. Nasser Hussain had at least four innings (to be fair to him he'd been sawn off several times in Pakistan and Sri Lanka that winter) in making a century. He even gave Hick Not Out from a straight forward caught and bowled off Murali.

Kiser Hayat - mentioned earlier, was - shall we say - selective in his decision making. Another Pakistani, Shakeel Khan I think his name was, in the 80s seemed quite creative when the mood suited.

Steve Bucknor was actually an excellent umpire until the final couple of years of his career when his standards slipped. The same was also true of David Shepherd - the best umpire I have seen.

I have been told by someone in the know that Billy Bowden wasn't rated at all by the players - Australia often tried to get him bumped from their games, and sometimes succeeded. Of the recent ones he's the least impressive. Too many times I couldn't see what he was thinking.

Of course, many are happy to throw out the glib term 'shocker' for a decision where the umpire has made a slight error, shown up by myriad camera angles and fairly accurate technology. These people have never done any worthwhile umpiring.
    Probably 'how I can I get everyone to look at me'

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend OverratedSanity's Avatar
    I suppose he was "excellent" back in 1994 when he had no idea how many overs were left and allowed Australia's batsmen to shake the England fielders' hands and almost walk all the way to the pavilion before realising he ****ed up and told them to play another over?
    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Wow baby, that gave me an orgasmic pleasure!
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaagarkarajaaja View Post
    All Prasie to Ajit Bhalchandra Agarkar, the pride of Mumbai, the terminator at Adelaide.
    Quote Originally Posted by VoL View Post
    I've joined this forum, just so that i can agree with OverratedSanity...

International Captain mr_mister's Avatar
    with regards to that earlier premadonna comment, its obvious that Billy was an attention seeker but Bucknor? He seemed like the chillest dude ever, despite maybe being a crap umpire. Loved his style and deamanour. It seemed natural and the way he gave batsmen out was very clear, smooth and simple

Bowden was cringe city, jesus christ i hate that man.

also Rudi's slow finger always made me roll my eyes. Nobody watches cricket for your melodrama mate

as for hte worst umpire ever, this bloke

Last edited by mr_mister; 11-07-2017 at 09:10 AM.
    cricket rules brah

The first appeal...it appeared as if the ball may be doing too much, and perhaps missing or clipping leg-stump. But the second one was absolutely plumb.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information