• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ray Lindwall - Australia's Finest

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Typo in the middle: "Perhaps the Australians were suspicious that Hutton and England were trying their old trick of trying to influence the selection of the England team" - should of course be "of the Australia team".

When I used to read the articles about ex-cricketers in the Wisden/Cricketer magazines of the late 80s/early 90s, I always got the impression that Lindwall was generally regarded as the best fast bowler of all time. Of course, they weren't big fans of the tactics of the WIPQs, and maybe that encompassed Lillee/Thomson as well. (Not that I'm saying they were clearly better than him, but I get the impression that Lillee and Marshall at least would be ranked above Lindwall by most folks nowadays).

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Typo in the middle: "Perhaps the Australians were suspicious that Hutton and England were trying their old trick of trying to influence the selection of the England team" - should of course be "of the Australia team".

When I used to read the articles about ex-cricketers in the Wisden/Cricketer magazines of the late 80s/early 90s, I always got the impression that Lindwall was generally regarded as the best fast bowler of all time. Of course, they weren't big fans of the tactics of the WIPQs, and maybe that encompassed Lillee/Thomson as well. (Not that I'm saying they were clearly better than him, but I get the impression that Lillee and Marshall at least would be ranked above Lindwall by most folks nowadays).
Thanks for that - still doesn't quite say what I was trying to say, but I think I bit off more than I could chew with that - still I'm sure you knew I was referring to Alf Dipper :)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's hard to argue the great man didn't chose the stronger of his two sports, but his league career was impressive nonetheless. Although he retired at 25 he'd already played in two Grand Finals (sadly losing both) & represented New South Wales in the pre-Origin interstate series.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
I was always told by my Pop that Lindwall (and in particular, his late away swing) was the best bowler he'd ever seen. Thoroughly enjoyed that read Fred.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bradman wanted him to open the bowling in his atg XI with Lillee for what's that's worth

Maybe he's bias though

Midwinter

State Captain
Nothing I have read over the years indicates that anyone had any doubt about his action, either from his own team or the opposition.

He was regarded as one the finest fast bowlers in the history of the game.

Articles written during the "let's get rid of chucker's" era of the late 50's early 60's never mentioned his action as suspect.

However the first time I ever watched film of him bowling I thought the same as Burgey..

It's a curious one.

Anyone know what Ritchie Benaud thought of Lindwall's action, given Benaud thought Charlie Griffith chucked ?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Griffith was definitely more obvious.

Jack Potter analyses Lindwall's action on the Cricket Archives DVD and says its more hyperextension than chuck. Similar to Larwood fwiw

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Nothing I have read over the years indicates that anyone had any doubt about his action, either from his own team or the opposition.

He was regarded as one the finest fast bowlers in the history of the game.

Articles written during the "let's get rid of chucker's" era of the late 50's early 60's never mentioned his action as suspect.

However the first time I ever watched film of him bowling I thought the same as Burgey..

It's a curious one.

Anyone know what Ritchie Benaud thought of Lindwall's action, given Benaud thought Charlie Griffith chucked ?
I've read about Ian Peebles (author of the book "Four Chukkas To Australia" about the 1958/59 ashes series) meeting Ray Lindwall and Ray shaking ian's hand and saying "Say hello to the last proper bowler in Australia" with a smile. Peebles said his smile back was slightly ironic.

I think the feeling was there were some questions about Lindwall's action but there were worse earlier in the 50s - and much worse at the end of the decade. I once saw a clip of Ian Meckiff 'bowling'. How that was ever allowed is incredible.

Many years ago I met Ray Lindwall, and Neil Harvey. Gentlemen the pair of them.

Gob

International Coach
Fantastic read. Its also interesting to read how even the top level players had to have other means of income when playing and once retired.