• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Am I the only one who is seeing Adam Gilchrist in Quinton de kock?

Bahseph

State Captain
Having followed his career closely and watched every single Test he has been in, I don't think he is near the big four just yet.

Every one of those players can post a huge score and de Kock hasn't done that yet. That's not a slight on him though, the guy is super talented and never looks in much trouble, I just feel that batting at 7/8 most of the time really hinders that ability. He hasn't had the chance to really bat big.

His job is to rescue SA and bat with the tail, not be the set up guy at 3/4 who dictates the play. Every SA fan would want him up the order though because he could be that player for us now that Amla is on the wane. If or when he gets a chance to do so is another issue entirely. As a keeper batsman though, he is immense.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nice to see Furball move on from AB to QDK to fill up his "Call one South African cricketer overrated" quota
One?

Furball is always at pains to remind everyone before a tournament that SA's ODI side is overrated, and they unfortunately always prove him right.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
That's only in tournaments but the "AB is overrated" post it note is seen in pretty much every thread Furball visits. In Cricket Chat. Guess just like South Africa, he also moved on from AB.

Top_Cat

One thing which De Kock has going for him is he's not the nuggety fighter wk that South Africa usually produce. Genuine game-breaker. Fairly sure he's the first since re-admission who is being talked about in a serious way to bat top-6.

Howe_zat

Audio File
One thing which De Kock has going for him is he's not the nuggety fighter wk that South Africa usually produce. Genuine game-breaker. Fairly sure he's the first since re-admission who is being talked about in a serious way to bat top-6.
I remember Heino Kuhn had a fair bit of hype a few years ago as a potential opener and keeper. Never actually happened like

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I mean 90% of the tests played since readmission had only 2 different blokes who took the gloves. Your point is basically that Richardson and Boucher weren't big stroke makers right?

morgieb

IIRC they've only had two other wicket-keepers since readmission to play regularly in fairness.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I remember Heino Kuhn had a fair bit of hype a few years ago as a potential opener and keeper. Never actually happened like
Yeah, but he was still a nuggety player, as can be seen. So was Vilas really and Tsolekile. QDK is a natural stroke player and pretty decent wicket keeper, those don't come along very often hence all the comparisons to Gilchrist etc. Still a long way to go but he has all the determination and skill required to become an atg.

Dendarii

International Debutant
IIRC they've only had two other wicket-keepers since readmission to play regularly in fairness.
Three if you include De Villiers, who not have kept for the majority of his test career, but did have a run of matches behind the stumps for a while.

Top_Cat

I mean 90% of the tests played since readmission had only 2 different blokes who took the gloves. Your point is basically that Richardson and Boucher weren't big stroke makers right?
And, as StephenZA said, they and the others who played very few Tests were all of a similar mould, that they didn't get a regular go in the Test side is irrelevant and doesn't change my point.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
He seems a good wicket keeper as well from what i've seen, despite when watching him bat you assume he is a batsmen who learnt to keep.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, but he was still a nuggety player, as can be seen. So was Vilas really and Tsolekile. QDK is a natural stroke player and pretty decent wicket keeper, those don't come along very often hence all the comparisons to Gilchrist etc. Still a long way to go but he has all the determination and skill required to become an atg.
Is there a likely scenario in the future especially with the top order batting so brittle and two tough series coming up, to promote him at 4 or 5 and pick another keeper?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The hype is greater than the reality.

People talk about the big 4 as if it should now be the big 5, he's nowhere near that good.

He has done absolutely nothing to merit comparison to either his contemporaries or to Gilchrist.
I take this back, this series has been very reminiscent of Gilchrist's 2005 series in England.