• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Really Bad Cricketers

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
the legend that is adrian shankar that lied his way into county cricket. my favourite lie being....
That's insane and particularly when you consider that he was already in the English system

I played against a guy in English club cricket who claimed to be Pranab Roy Pranab Roy | India Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo and was after expenses from the club

The club was skeptical and tried him out before offering him anything despite the fact that he played in full Indian kit

Lasted a couple of matches before doing a runner

Funny thing is that the real Pranab Roy played in the same league the following year

What's more, I only have 3 photos of myself from that stint and 2 of them are bowling to the real and fake Pranab Roy and I got 'em both out :punk:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
He's better known as the former Wales, British Lions and world cup winning All Black coach, but Graham Henry had an endearingly rubbish first class cricket career too.

10 runs spaced over 8 innings, with two not outs to boost his average to 1.66.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Who was the bloke who came out to face Allan Donald in the 1996 WC wearing a massive sun hat instead of a helmet? Certainly one of the silliest cricketers I've seen.

91Jmay

International Coach
India's answer to Julien Cahn is of course the Maharajah of Vizianagram, who showed what a bit of cash could really do by making himself the national captain. A high score of 19 and an average of 8 on India's first ever Test tour, which presumably raised concerns in hindsight that his first class average of 18 might not have been enough.
To be fair, if an Indian averages 10 less in Tests than their Ranji average they are usually pretty good.

social

A mate of mine used to play county cricket and I dropped in to see him play against Derbyshire whose opening bowler was Michael Holding

Usually he'd be done up like the tin man but on this occasion, he chose to discard his helmet with predictable results

I later asked him wtf he was thinking and he told me that as the pitch was a green seamer, he wanted to encourage Holding to bowl short

Well that worked out well :laugh:

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Sir Julien Cahn

First-class career summary: 6 matches, 70 runs @ 10.00, HS of 17; 2 wickets @ 74.5, best of 1/1Perhapsbest known for forming the Julien Cahn XI - one of the most successful private teams - Sir Julien Cahn's undoubted enthusiasm for the game was sadly not matched by any great ability (though tbf that goes for a lot of us on here, myself included). That said, he did have his moments in non-FC matches.

Claim to fame: Once stormed off the pitch to sack his chauffeur after his inflatable pads deflated at the start of an innings.
I just want inflatable pads to make a comeback after reading that.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The stories of Aislabie and Porbandar make me want to be rich enough to buy my way into a FC team.

Wonder if I could score more runs than Clark in the same amount of innings. Probably not.

cnerd123

likes this
Because he bowled a bouncer? Ok
against a batsman clearly out of his depth and not wearing a helmet

It bothers me given we know no how dangerous a cricket ball to the head is. Is some ego/pride really worth the consequences?

I wouldn't feel the same if it was a legit batsman ftr, but come on. The guy was a nobody. Why do it?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A mate of mine used to play county cricket and I dropped in to see him play against Derbyshire whose opening bowler was Michael Holding

Usually he'd be done up like the tin man but on this occasion, he chose to discard his helmet with predictable results

I later asked him wtf he was thinking and he told me that as the pitch was a green seamer, he wanted to encourage Holding to bowl short

Well that worked out well :laugh:
This is my go-to video when this topic comes up. Good stuff begins about 5 mins in. :-O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR3WwzBoYDo

Every batsman who's ever considered facing quick bowling without adequate protection should be made to watch it over and over again.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
against a batsman clearly out of his depth and not wearing a helmet

It bothers me given we know no how dangerous a cricket ball to the head is. Is some ego/pride really worth the consequences?

I wouldn't feel the same if it was a legit batsman ftr, but come on. The guy was a nobody. Why do it?
Nah, come on. It's a WC game. The guys walks out to face one of the quickest and most hostile quicks ever. And decides not to wear a helmet? Stupid.

All the responsibility here for any injury rests with the batsman.

Donald bowled within the laws of the game.

Put a helmet on FFS.

cnerd123

likes this
It's not about responsibility

It's about whether that was necessary

Let's not strip context from this and just analyse it as some sort of isolated incident. This is UAE Vs SA. They already lost an early wicket chasing down some 300+ score. The batsman in question wasn't even selected for the team on merit - he was there because the Emirates Cricket board wanted a local emirati captaining the side

He walks out with no helmet. The SA players ask him to reconsider. He brushed them off like a dick. And so Donald does that.

It was malicious and it was driven by ego/pride/some petty desire to prove a point. It was completely uneccesary.

The only saving grace is that back in that time we didn't think anyone could die from being hit on the head by a bouncer from a fast bowler. We didn't know as much as we do about CTE and concussions as we do now. I cannot possibly condone, let alone applaud, what Donald did there, given what we know now. It was, in hindsight, a dick move, and I don't think anyone could get away with doing that in this day and age.

Having said that, lots of people have done things that were once celebrated that in hindsight turn out to have been dick moves. It doesn't make them bad people for doing that. But it does not harm to acknowledge that too.

fredfertang

It's not about responsibility

It's about whether that was necessary

Let's not strip context from this and just analyse it as some sort of isolated incident. This is UAE Vs SA. They already lost an early wicket chasing down some 300+ score. The batsman in question wasn't even selected for the team on merit - he was there because the Emirates Cricket board wanted a local emirati captaining the side

He walks out with no helmet. The SA players ask him to reconsider. He brushed them off like a dick. And so Donald does that.

It was malicious and it was driven by ego/pride/some petty desire to prove a point. It was completely uneccesary.

The only saving grace is that back in that time we didn't think anyone could die from being hit on the head by a bouncer from a fast bowler. We didn't know as much as we do about CTE and concussions as we do now. I cannot possibly condone, let alone applaud, what Donald did there, given what we know now. It was, in hindsight, a dick move, and I don't think anyone could get away with doing that in this day and age.

Having said that, lots of people have done things that were once celebrated that in hindsight turn out to have been dick moves. It doesn't make them bad people for doing that. But it does not harm to acknowledge that too.
Quite - Donald should've bowled him a Yorker and made him look a **** by spread-eagling his stumps rather than by prostrating his carcass