• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Does Cricket need a strong Australia?

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
So now that Australia's first choice international cricketers are unemployed and out of a contract, the question needs to be asked - does the cricket world really need a strong Australia?

Howe_zat

Audio File
I remember when England were in Australia in 2010-11, and they got 517-1 to draw the first test before hammering Australia in the second. There were an absolutely ridiculous number of bleeding hearts from English posters trying to complain that Australia weren't good enough THE ONE TIME WE WERE ACTUALLY WINNING OVER THERE. It was absolute madness. Australia won the third test comfortably. A bunch of my countrymen were left wondering why they'd taken the time to help out a poor limping velociraptor, that had promptly taken a bite out of them and run off.

Never feel sorry for the Australians. Never, ever, do it. If the next Ashes series is contested by England and the Paramatta 3rd XI that will be no less than the ideal situation. Sooner or later they'll be back spouting some gibberish about 'the line' and their endless devotion to the spirit of cricket while some 95mph quick is threatening to murder us, and you'll regret not spending every second you could gloating at the bastards.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I love those days where Australia do little wrong and lose badly. Those are the best days in the cricket calendar.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I love how supporters of other countries talk with such fondness about those days. We do the same about the decades when those teams do nothing.

Howe is right. Don't pity your opponent. Ever. Grind them into the dust and scatter the residue with your boots. That's what Australia would do, and it's what Australia would expect in return. Then have a beer after the day's play.

Burgey

Though there are some decent kids in the Parra 3rd XI. They'd probably take it to a fifth day.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I remember when England were in Australia in 2010-11, and they got 517-1 to draw the first test before hammering Australia in the second. There were an absolutely ridiculous number of bleeding hearts from English posters trying to complain that Australia weren't good enough THE ONE TIME WE WERE ACTUALLY WINNING OVER THERE. It was absolute madness. Australia won the third test comfortably. A bunch of my countrymen were left wondering why they'd taken the time to help out a poor limping velociraptor, that had promptly taken a bite out of them and run off.

Never feel sorry for the Australians. Never, ever, do it. If the next Ashes series is contested by England and the Paramatta 3rd XI that will be no less than the ideal situation. Sooner or later they'll be back spouting some gibberish about 'the line' and their endless devotion to the spirit of cricket while some 95mph quick is threatening to murder us, and you'll regret not spending every second you could gloating at the bastards.
I don't really place a lot of value in awards systems around the world whether it's the Oscars or Manikchand Filmfare awards but this might be a rare occasion when the Awards got it somewhat right.

Kirkut

International Regular
Cricket probably needs an invincible team which other teams try to emulate or better them. When Windies were the best in 80's the Australian side was an average one, I honestly don't see Merv Hughes making it to the test side as a fast bowler today.

TheJediBrah

10/10

Australians are ****s

In other news, water is wet

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Very under rated bowler.
Merv was Siddle 1.0

The guy was lion-hearted. In the truest sense of the word. Don't be fooled by the gut, the guy was fit for the job, and he was outstanding at being able to contain while still striking regularly.

Burgey

Yeah, but he was better than Siddle. Was third quick earlier in his career then ended up leading the attack int eh 93 Ashes series when McDermott went home. EZveryone remembers Warne's 34 wickets that series - Merv got 31 as well, and on one leg. His knee was shot and that was basically it for him.

Last edited:

Burgey

You guys had your chance a couple of summers ago with the greatest new ball attack since Lindwall and Miller, but unfortunately Southee and the White Akram weren't quite up to it.

Flem274*

123/5
You guys had your chance a couple of summers ago with the greatest new ball attack since Lindwall and Miller, but unfortunately Southee and the White Akram weren't quite up to it.
don't forget the unconditional surrender of the greatest middle and lower order since one of those ridiculous 1990s South African ODI teams