• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketers with interesting records

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I knew Ashraful's record wasn't good, but I didn't know just how bad it was. An average of 24 for a guy with 6 centuries is appalling. His first class record is pretty rubbish too.

Rubel is obviously going for the Ian Salisbury award for ineffectiveness.

Funnily enough Chris Harris' bowling record is rather comparable to Salisbury's as well, although he obviously added more with the bat. Perhaps his ineffectiveness in tests might have something to do with the reasons why his style of bowling was completely out of fashion decades before.

Last edited:

a massive zebra

International Captain
Benjamin Aislabie's first class record always amuses me. 56 matches, 224 runs, 7 catches, never bowled. Surely the most ineffectual first class cricketer ever to play more than a handful of matches.

Bijed

International Regular
I will as ever point to Fuller Pilch for this kind of thing. Although Wikipedia and Cricinfo disagree as to whether his bowling average is 21.33 or the slightly more impressive 1.35, they both agree on his bowling strike rate - a surely unparalleled one wicket every 4.7 balls.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
I will as ever point to Fuller Pilch for this kind of thing. Although Wikipedia and Cricinfo disagree as to whether his bowling average is 21.33 or the slightly more impressive 1.35, they both agree on his bowling strike rate - a surely unparalleled one wicket every 4.7 balls.
If you have a bowling average of 21.33 at that strike rate, your economy rate is a startling 27.12...

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If you have a bowling average of 21.33 at that strike rate, your economy rate is a startling 27.12...
I don't like that - one of my few claims to statistical fame is my economy rate of 26 in 1987, would hate to think I never had that record

Bijed

International Regular
Hmm, Wiki cites Cricketarchive as it's source for his stats. His Cricketarchive pages gives him as having bowled 670 balls which saw 192 runs conceded and 142 wickets taken. This would support the Average of 1.35 and strike rate of 4.7.

However, the page then gives his Average as 21.33, his Strike rate as 44.66 and economy as 2.44, which basically disagree with this stats as posted above.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Hmm, Wiki cites Cricketarchive as it's source for his stats. His Cricketarchive pages gives him as having bowled 670 balls which saw 192 runs conceded and 142 wickets taken. This would support the Average of 1.35 and strike rate of 4.7.

However, the page then gives his Average as 21.33, his Strike rate as 44.66 and economy as 2.44, which basically disagree with this stats as posted above.
I can categorically state that Fuller Pilch did NOT have a first class bowling average of 1.35 or a strike rate of 4.7.

Very early scorecards generally only credited bowlers with bowled dismissals, and did not record the number of balls bowled or runs conceded by the bowler. This issue gradually improved around the middle of the 19th century with the introduction of Lillywhite's Guides and Wisden's Almanack, but even as late as the 1870s some scorecards, while giving full credit to bowlers for their dismissals, didn't record the balls bowled or runs conceded. There are also a handful of first class matches where the runs conceded are recorded but bowlers aren't given credit for wickets taken with the aid of fielders (i.e catches, stumpings).

Full bowling analysis are only available for innings covering 9 of the 142 wickets Pilch is known to have taken in his first class career. Where full bowling analysis are available, Pilch is known to have taken his wickets at an average of 21.33, a strike rate of 44.66 and an economy rate of 2.44.

In their historical ignorance or complete disregard for statistical accuracy, Cricinfo have simply taken all the balls bowled and runs conceded by Pilch in the few instances where full information is available, and divided these by the total number of wickets taken in his entire career to arrive at hugely misleading averages and strike rates. The Cricketarchive figures are accurate, but admittedly confusing for people with an ability to do basic maths but no detailed knowledge of early cricket scorecards.

This issue affects nearly all pre 1870 bowlers to some extent. The best average of any bowler with (virtually) complete career figures is George Freeman, who took 284 wickets at an average of 9.84, strike rate of 35.47 and economy rate of 1.66. He also took four more wickets in match(es) where full bowling analysis were not kept. The highest wicket taker in first class cricket prior to the introduction of Test cricket (based on all available information, given the limitations identified in paragraph 2) is William Lillywhite. Where full bowling analysis are available, Lillywhite is known to have taken 235 wickets at an average of 10.36, a strike rate of 28.21 and an economy rate of 2.20. He also took a further 1,341 wickets in matches where full bowling analysis were not kept, giving a total haul of 1,576.

I hope this clarifies things.

Last edited:

Shady Slim

International Coach
idk what the average stats were in his time but tony dodemaide has almost identical bowling and batting averages to mitchell starc in tests

moaning tony actually has a marginally better bowling average lol

somehow though

if someone said to drop nathan lyon for the quartet of hazlewood/cummins/pattinson/dodemaide i do not think they'd get much agreement

Last edited: