• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

lara vs tendulkar

thehellraiser

School Boy/Girl Captain
lara vs tendulkar:

what do u huys think.....
i think lara is the best batsmen in the world coz he has done so much and performed on tracks all over the world ....

coupled with the fact that he is playing in a very weak team where all the pressure is on him....while tendulkar has good batsmen around him....(i personally think of dravid as the best batsman in the indian team)......

krkode

State Captain
Well, Tendulkar also went through a period in time when he was surrounded by mediocrity. Even though Ganguly and Dravid and Azhar were around him for as long as he was there, he still went through the pressure of expectation, the likes of which Lara feels only now that Ambrose and Walsh are no more and the Windies are deteriorating.

But that aside, yeah, Lara is an excellent batsman, and I think it's a very very close thing between him and Tendulkar. I really can't decide.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
As things stand, I can't split Lara, Tendulkar, Ponting and Dravid.

The first name on my World XI team sheet would be Rahul, however.

Answering the question, draw. Forgetting about fence-sitting, Lara.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Sorry. Just anticipating what's to follow in what appears to me to be an obvious flame thread.

I'll go with Lara - every time, but not by a huge margin.

Last edited:

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
I think both batsmen play their role in their teams perfectly. West Indies' need a batsman who can score occasionally big centuries and matchwinning innings, India needs a batsman who can score consistently well, though not necessarily huge scores. Having said that, I still think Lara is the better batsman, as he is capable of doing things that no other batsmen of his generation are, even if he is not as consistent.

masterblaster

International Captain
You said it very well Adam.

During the period of 1996-2000 there is no doubt in my mind that Tendulkar WAS the best batsman in the world.

He was SIMPLY AWESOME.

He's still awesome today, but he's not as destructive as he once was.

Im a big Tendulkar supporter as many people here know, but the only reason why Lara has an edge is those two world records (375, 400).

But nobody notices Tendulkar's world records do they?

Only man past 13,000 ODI runs, over 35 ODI centuries and 33 test centuries, average of over 44 in ODI's and over 57 in Tests, 100+ ODI wickets to go with that. Over 9400 test runs, featuring in some record breaking partnerships. The list goes on and on..

I can't split them to be honest. However, hypothetically speaking, im sure many people will change their tune if Tendulkar manages to get 401+ in a test innings.

Deja moo

International Captain
I can't split them to be honest. However, hypothetically speaking, im sure many people will change their tune if Tendulkar manages to get 401+ in a test innings.
You can forget about that.

He has a bad back.

Raj123

U19 Debutant
once on the field and if there is any chance to break such records i dont think such causes hold the batsman back(unless they completely breakdown). they usually battle through them.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Lara for me.

I just dont really enjoy watching Tendulkar bat like I used to. Even if some say he is more consistant now I reckon he was a better batsman before he adopted the go slow aproach. (he is not that slow but if you compaired him from 4-5 years ago)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Much too hard for me to decide. If I was forced to, I guess I'd choose Sachin by a whisker. I find it a pointless argument perfectly, I prefer using my time to watch these batsman do what they do best rather than argue who is the better one. :)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sehwag309 said:
I want to see Aktar V/S Lara, have they faced each other yet
They have been on opposite sides in just one test match - and I don't think Shoaib bowled a ball to Lara in that one (1997).

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Here are the batting stats of both since 2002.

Tests
Lara (23 matches)
Innings: 40
Not Outs: 2
Runs: 2436
Average: 64.10
100's: 7
50's: 9
Highest Score: 400*

Tendulkar (25 matches)
Innings: 41
Not Outs: 4