• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

lara vs tendulkar

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lions81 said:
You're saying because of this Lara should be #1 on that list?
I never said that. Just bringing an observation to the table. He's certainly a better batsman than Kallis and Ponting IMO, because he hasn't had the pleasure of dispatching the West Indian bowling attack for buckets of runs.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
deeps said:
i totally agree! tendulkar is a brilliant one day batsman... but under test-conditions, i think most of his centuries were low pressure situations...and probably (not sure, just stabbing in dark) against lesser teams...
He has a pretty fair distribution of hundreds against every team -- in fact he has more hundreds against Australia than any other team.
He has 3 hundreds against South Africa -- its interesting to note that all of them were on the high veldt.

Further, several of his hundreds have been in situations where the match was critically poised or India were in trouble.

He may not be in the best of form right now but to say Tendulkar has rarely contributed to his team's cause is not true.

deeps

International 12th Man
i think the main thing with tendulkar is..he makes 5 bad or below20 scores...and makes up with one big score.....

which is where dravid is so good...he makes lots of scores between 30-50..and makes a couple of big scores to make up...

he's more...inconsistent... i guess,

bennyr

U19 12th Man
Without wishing to go into any detailed analysis, from the innings I have seen I'd rather watch Lara in full flight. I think he dominates the bowling attack more than Tendulkar.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I never said that. Just bringing an observation to the table. He's certainly a better batsman than Kallis and Ponting IMO, because he hasn't had the pleasure of dispatching the West Indian bowling attack for buckets of runs.
but hes also had the pleasure of playing in antigua 12 times.

tooextracool

International Coach
bennyr said:
Without wishing to go into any detailed analysis, from the innings I have seen I'd rather watch Lara in full flight. I think he dominates the bowling attack more than Tendulkar.
then you obviously missed his 155 and 177 against australia in 98.tendulkar in his prime was about as dominating as any batsman could be.albeit lara is a better batsman but for reasons other than the one you stated.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Were they better than Lara's 213 and 153* against Australia the same time? Or his 122 last year? Tendulkar's had more not outs, I could give you loads of reasons why Lara is better. One stands out - record as captain:

BC Lara....... 34 62 4 3589 400* 61.87 10 15
SR Tendulkar 25 43 3 2054 217 51.35 7 7

I don't think anyone has a better record as captain. Also Lara's ability to get big scores. Only Bradman has more doubles in tests.

Everyone is saying Tendulkar for ODIs but his record is not much better. He has 4 hundreds against Kenya and 152 against Namibia which shouldn't really count. Take those out and project upwards Lara's stats and their records are very similar. Lara would have more 50s, Sachin more 100s (32-26) and the averages are the same. This despite Sachin averaging 47 against WI and Lara averaging 30 against India. You could discount these to get an accurate comparison against the same opponents, which of course then favours Lara, although that is slightly unfair because India don't have a great attack anyway so you could count it against Lara.

tooextracool

International Coach
Bazza said:
Forgot to add - Steve Waugh is overrated.
you've got to be kidding me. steve waugh is more dependable than lara or sachin any day. and please dont bring up averages to try and disprove me

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
deeps said:
yup, and tendulkar has never hit a cricket ball in his life...wat the hell are u smoking mate?
I'm inclined to agree with Bazza here - correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Steve Waugh quite possibly the most over-rated test match captain of all time bar none?

I think it's called Socratic irony.

deeps

International 12th Man
luckyeddie said:
isn't Steve Waugh quite possibly the most over-rated test match captain of all time bar none?

I think it's called Socratic irony.

i don't think we're talking bout captaincy here...just as a batsman...and HOW exactly is he over-rated?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
deeps said:
i don't think we're talking bout captaincy here...just as a batsman...and HOW exactly is he over-rated?
You missed the point. He isn't - hence 'Socratic irony'.

Bazza was just probably getting as fed up as I am of the apparently monotonous bleating coming from one direction.

When you get one person saying one thing and everyone else saying another (see Harmison is crap, Ramprakash is brilliant, Tendulkar is overrated, Blackwell hates burgers) over and over and over again in any thread remotely related to the subject, then it can mean one of two things...

either the one person going it alone is incredibly astute and has spotted something which no-one else has (it's possible) or he/she is possibly mistaken.

The problem here is not the contrary position at all (we've all been there, me as much as anyone else) - it's the repetition and not letting the subject die gracefully which causes these endless and pointless arguments.

Then again, maybe Bazza doesn't rate him and I'm just being an idiot. It wouldn't be the first time - but hey, I wouldn't be unique in this thread either.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
masterblaster said:
Im just happy that this wonderful game of cricket has produced these wonderful batsmen who have all given me plenty of hours of enjoyment. Whether Tendulkar, Lara, Dravid or Ponting each has his own qualities, im glad that they all played in the same era - MY ERA, OUR ERA!
Here here Master ;)

The 5 or 6 batsman mentioned earlier (Sachin, Lara, Ponting, Dravid, Kallis & Hayden) are all full of class, and each one has their own argument to being the best although I still, to this day, put Lara and Sachin above the rest. Either way however we are blessed to see such talent, really awesome batsman.

Last edited:

ReallyCrazy

Banned
bennyr said:
I don't think yuo have seen the Sachin of the mid 90s. He dominated the bowling attack as much as Lara if not more.

It's just that Sachin's game has undergone a lot of change. He doesn't really go after the bowling anymore. He is more about playing himself in and making a big score. This is the main reason we don't see him hit too many sixes anymore.

As for the original question regarding lara vs tendulkar....looking at both guys' careers in entirety, I will pick tendulkar. He made his debut in 1989 as a 16 year old and till the year 2000, he had to carry the hopes of the whole team on his shoulders. So sachin for me.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Bazza said:
I could give you loads of reasons why Lara is better. One stands out - record as captain:

BC Lara....... 34 62 4 3589 400* 61.87 10 15
SR Tendulkar 25 43 3 2054 217 51.35 7 7

I don't think anyone has a better record as captain.
Bradman has a much better record than Lara as captain, Gary Sobers and Graham Gooch were more or less Lara's equal as a batsman while captain.

Bradman..... 24 38 7 3147 270 101.51 14 7
BC Lara...... 34 62 4 3589 400* 61.87 10 15
GS Sobers... 39 71 11 3528 178* 58.80 11 15
GA Gooch.... 34 63 2 3582 333 58.72 11 16

Other than that no one can match Lara's record as a batsman while captain

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
a massive zebra said:
Bradman has a much better record than Lara as captain, Gary Sobers and Graham Gooch were more or less Lara's equal as a batsman while captain.

Bradman..... 24 38 7 3147 270 101.51 14 7
BC Lara...... 34 62 4 3589 400* 61.87 10 15
GS Sobers... 39 71 11 3528 178* 58.80 11 15
GA Gooch.... 34 63 2 3582 333 58.72 11 16

Other than that no one can match Lara's record as a batsman while captain
Yeah but isn't a captain's job to win? Score a thousand runs every series if you like, but if you lose every series, you stink. Maybe it's a function of having poor players, but I think perhaps Lara has mismanaged some of his decent players so as to make them look worse than they actually are.

And Steve Waugh was an excellent captain, but he's not a better batsman than Lara or Tendulkar.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Lions81 said:
Yeah but isn't a captain's job to win? Score a thousand runs every series if you like, but if you lose every series, you stink. Maybe it's a function of having poor players, but I think perhaps Lara has mismanaged some of his decent players so as to make them look worse than they actually are.

And Steve Waugh was an excellent captain, but he's not a better batsman than Lara or Tendulkar.
I was just replying to the suggestion that no one has a better batting record as captain than Lara. Neither Lara, Sobers or Gooch were particularly good captains, although their performance with the bat was stellar. I don't think Waugh was a particularly great captain, he had a great record as captain, but mainly because he had such splendid players. Clive Lloyd was another captain with a good record, but his lack of success as captain of Lancashire showed he was a far from inspired leader who benefitted from having legendary players at his disposal in the West Indies team. The best captains in my opinion were (in no particular order) Bradman, I.Chappell, Benaud, Worrell, Brearley, Taylor, May and Ganguly.