• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

lara vs tendulkar

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
The statistics clearly show that sachin is the more consistent player,but history has shown that when lara is on form he is untouchable as a player,especially in the clutch,where sachin has always been fallible.

Its very hard to say whos better,they both have different qualities which make them special in their own way.

Ive seen a lot of lara over the years,since he came of age as a player on his first tour to australia in the early 90s so i might be biased in picking him.

biased indian

International Coach
they both r good as far as i amconsidered and we can add a couple of them also into it

but lara is the best when you take only england into consideration his records speak for that 375 and 400* :D :D :D

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For weight of runs it would be Lara I think. After all, he was the faster to 9000 runs and will likely be the faster to 10,000 too. That added to two world records, being the first man to 500 and now 400 and the strength of his team.

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
age_master said:
Ponting, Lara, Hayden, Tendulkar, Gilchrist
Ponting: 76.37
Hayden: 80.31
Tendulkar: 50.00
Gilchrist: 35.83
Lara: 69.61

Dravid - 85.93
Kallis - 84.46

So clearly Gilchrist shouldn't be anywhere near that list, and probably neither should Tendulkar and definitely not at the expense of Dravid or Kallis. So here's a more fair list.

1. Dravid
2. Kallis
3. Hayden
4. Ponting
5. Lara

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Then consider that Dravid has Tendulkar and Laxman; Hayden and Ponting have each other as well as Langer, Martyn, Gilchrist, Lehmann; Kallis has Smith and Gibbs. Who does Lara have? Chanderpaul yes, but he's not really in the runscoring league of the others (except probably Martyn and Langer).

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Then consider that Dravid has Tendulkar and Laxman; Hayden and Ponting have each other as well as Langer, Martyn, Gilchrist, Lehmann; Kallis has Smith and Gibbs. Who does Lara have? Chanderpaul yes, but he's not really in the runscoring league of the others (except probably Martyn and Langer).
You're saying because of this Lara should be #1 on that list?

krkode

State Captain
Yeah, just because he has little support unlike the other greats doesn't mean he's a better batsman. The fact that he's doing just as well, implies that he may be, though. Highly debatable point. But a single smashing knock in the dead-rubber game of a series already lost doesn't imply greatness. Lara is undoubtedly an excellent batsman, though.

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
In his last 10 matches, Lara has scored 1253 runs at an average of 69.61. Remove his 400* and his average drops to 47.39. Still excellent, but not one of the elite in the game at the moment, so aside from the last innings, he's been very un-Lara like. I suppose you can blame it on having no good batsmen on the other side, but I think Ponting, Dravid, Kallis and Hayden would've been fine in the same lineup.

deeps

International 12th Man
masterblaster said:
im sure many people will change their tune if Tendulkar manages to get 401+ in a test innings.
wont happen...dravid/ganguly will declare innings closed when tendulkar is on 399 :P

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
If you ignore several others such as Dravid.
You think Dravid is better than Ponting!?!

Other than Tendulkar and Lara I dont think anyone could claim to be better than Ponting.

Dravid might sit along side Ponting but he is not better.

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
Eclipse said:
You think Dravid is better than Ponting!?!

Other than Tendulkar and Lara I dont think anyone could claim to be better than Ponting.

Dravid might sit along side Ponting but he is not better.
Based on what is Dravid not better?

Eclipse

International Debutant
Lions81 said:
So here's a more fair list.

1. Dravid
2. Kallis
3. Hayden
4. Ponting
5. Lara
That is a more fair list but no way would I put them in that order.

on avrages yes (over what time period were these done) but on overall ability and batsmanship no.