• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

lara vs tendulkar

Bolo

State Captain
Lara was also great at destroying great attacks. Perhaps the best since Bradmans . Chappell, Viv, barry and ab might be candidates as well, but there are a bunch of limits on levels of great attacks actually faced.

Agree with the rest though

Slifer

International Captain
Laras good series vs very good /great attacks and I consider a good series averaging 40+:

'93 home vs Pak : Waqar, Wasim, Mustaq ave 43
'95 home vs Aus :McGrath, Refeil, and Warne ave 44
99 home vs Aus: McWarne, Gillespie, McGill ave 91
'01 home vs RSA: Pollock, Donald ave 40
'01 away vs SL : Vaas, Murali ave 113

Tendulkar does not have one great series vs a great attack. Very good ones but nothing to match Lara 99 or Lara SL '01

Lara had other series where he AVERAGED well vs very good/ great attacks but tbh that was more to do with one great/massive innings not series consistency: Home England in 2004, Australia away in 2005-06.

Most of Lara's greatness was at home and he wasn't as consistent as SRT which is why I rate Lara lower. I do think this notion that he cashed in vs lesser attacks is bs. Lara never faced a weak oz attack. Played 4 total tests vs Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, whereas his contemporaries played those teams much more. Sachin wasnt all that great vs the great pacemen of the 90s either. He managed 100s but still averaged sub 40 overall vs attacks with Donald, McGrath and WW. He did do well in the one series vs Ambrose though I'll give him that.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sachin's series in Australia in '99 should count. Averaged a little less than 50 I think but it was more of a one-man show than even Kohli in the current series.

Bolo

State Captain
Sachin and Kallis are in the same boat. Really consistent. Good against everyone everywhere, but seldom a stellar series against the best. Ridiculous number of hundreds but no big scores. One man armies until their teammates stopped being crap. Good against everything, just a little weaker against swing.

Kallis was at his best against India in a home series. Not exactly an ATG attack, but the difference between him and everyone else was as big as I've ever seen. I'd imagine he took Murali apart at some stage but I can't remember it, or even seeing Murali play RSA on a proper turner, just seamers and pancakes

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm not due Kallis ever took anyone apart, which doesn't stop him from being the greatest post- Sobers batting all rounder and a damn fine batsman.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I tend to think of him as mid-way between a Steve Waugh and a Garry Sobers in terms of roundedness.

bagapath

International Captain
He's not an all-rounder though. He's a batsman that bowls a bit...

Look at the wickets he has taken... Every great batsman of his era... Tendulkar, Ponitng, Dravid etc... has fallen to him. Kallis is an all-rounder. His bowling was not lightweight. He could seriously make a difference with the ball in hand and he provided perfect support to the potent bowling attack he played with for most of his career.. while also being the fulcrum of his batting line up...

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Everyone wants to Diminish Kallis's tremendous record because he doesn't have the rockstar kind of presence. Fact is he was a top notch all-rounder. His statistical achievements are mind boggling. He has won the most MoMs ever in test history.

Jack1

International Debutant
Whatever Kallis is he's probably a better bat than Lara and Tendulkar in test cricket. Sangakkara is better than all three though. Where Smith and Kohli come into the mix is highly debatable.

Kallis was a top slip fielder and a good bowler. He's a batting all-rounder and not a batsman. Trundler is away with the fairies at times on here.

Everyone wants to Diminish Kallis's tremendous record because he doesn't have the rockstar kind of presence. Fact is he was a top notch all-rounder. His statistical achievements are mind boggling. He has won the most MoMs ever in test history.

Dude was a great player. Not the most exciting player in the world, but he did the business.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Whatever Kallis is he's probably a better bat than Lara and Tendulkar in test cricket. Sangakkara is better than all three though. Where Smith and Kohli come into the mix is highly debatable.
You what now?

The Kallis isn't an allrounder argument is also insane. Dude was a top player - a top, top class batsman (one rung below Tendulkar and co) and a very useful bowler.

akilana

International 12th Man
Given Australia were the best team for most of the time Donald played it's a black mark against him, however not a huge one since most of that statistical anomaly was an end-of-career Donald running into a rampaging Hayden and Ponting.

Still, I'd rate Ambrose ahead of Donald in the 90s and many would also rate Wasim, Waqar and possibly McGrath higher (though McGrath probably wasn't as good as Donald through the 90s).
Donald was better bowler than Mcgrath, Wasim and co. He would be equal with Ambrose. WI were still a pretty good team and he dominated them. He wasn’t as good as he could have been vs Australia. Mcgrath was below his best vs SA too.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
This trying to pick one hole in a great player's record is a bit petty. Given enough games, there will always be some holes. Think you have to look beyond that in some cases - unless the hole is as gaping as beats everyone up at home, but can't perform away.