• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's 50 Best ODI Cricketers of all time - The Countdown (2017 Version)

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The votes have been counted, here is Cricket Web's 50 best ODI players..

50 Greg Chappell
Total Points: 27
Highest Pick: 8th
2011 Ranking: 37th

A truly underrated ODI performer, Chappell averaged over 40 with the bat and under 30 with the ball, taking just shy of 1 wicket per game (72 wickets in 74 Internationals). Chappell hit 3 centuries, at one point he held the record for the highest ever ODI score for Australia, when he scored 138 not out. When Chappell retired he was undoubtedly Australia's best ever ODI batsman.

Main memory: The underarm incident (sorry Kiwi fans)

49 Javed Miandad
Total Points: 29 (5 votes in total)
Highest Pick: 15th
2011 Ranking: 26th

Javed Miandad was a mainstay on the world scene featuring in Pakistan's first 6 World Cups. He excelled in the formats major tournament, scoring 1083 runs at an average of 43. Miandad was a huge reason why Pakistan won in 1992, scoring 5 half centuries for the tournament, including fifties in both the semi and final.

Main Memory: The six off Chetan Sharma to win a final against India from the final ball of the match.

48 Aravinda de Silva
Total Points: 29 (6 votes in total)
Highest Pick: 15th
2011 Ranking: 31st

The third classy batsman in a row, Aravinda played in over 300 ODIs, scoring 11 centuries and taking over 100 wickets. de Silva was especially important in Sri Lanka's 1996 World Cup triumph, he scored 66 from 47 in the semi final win against India and then followed it up in the Final against Australia with 3/42 and a chanceless 107 not out and picking up the man of the match award.

Main Memory: World Cup 96 and I always think of his leg side play and his off-centre chin guard.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
At some point (maybe afterwards) can we have a list of players who didn't make the top fifty and votes (if they got any)? I'd also be interested to know how many people voted.

Also looks like some people have really slid. Miandad's lost 23 places!

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Sure, after the countdown is finished, I'll write down who missed out. There were 29 voters.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting. Thought Miandad and especially Aravinda would be a lot higher.. Even though I didn't vote for either.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Do you remember how many were on the last one?

Also, what interval is this in, one lot per day? Can't wait to see if any of my picks (that I remember) made it into the top ten.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Do you remember how many were on the last one?

Also, what interval is this in, one lot per day? Can't wait to see if any of my picks (that I remember) made it into the top ten.
Yes, there were 30 last time. I'm not going to commit to a certain amount each day as I'm kind of really busy with work right now - I'll stagger it, but will definitely do more over the weekend.

bagapath

International Captain
Yes, there were 30 last time. I'm not going to commit to a certain amount each day as I'm kind of really busy with work right now - I'll stagger it, but will definitely do more over the weekend.
Thanks for the effort, mate. This is a thankless job. People don't give a damn about what you do otherwise and expect you to spend all your waking hours here.
That being said,
GET YOUR ****ING PRIORITIES RIGHT!!!! POST THE ****ING LIST AT ONE GO!!!
NOWWWWW!!!!

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Interesting. Thought Miandad and especially Aravinda would be a lot higher.. Even though I didn't vote for either.
I think Aravinda gets slightly undervalued due to his career batting average. His performances at that 1996 World Cup is legendary - has anyone played a better World Cup Semi - World Cup Final double?

For Miandad, his batting strike rate can make you think twice about him IMO.

BTW, overall I like the list in general. There is someone who is making the countdown who looks out of place though.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah I wanted to put him in for the 96 wc, but then I'd have felt bad about not voting for any of the 25 I chose. Was pretty tough whittling it down. For what it's worth, Aravinda was probably number 26 or 27 for me.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Not surprised to see the 70s-90s batsmen taking a hit, in the light of the new face of ODI bating that we've seen since 2011.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Great stuff Nufan. Can't wait to see how the list pans out. Really liking the main memory sections.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Would form a legendary middle order for an ODI side, these three, even with their rather humble records compared to their test exploits.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
With the influx of good new ODI players, the ranks of these 3 underrated champions look just about right to me. Glad that they all made the top 50.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Would form a legendary middle order for an ODI side, these three, even with their rather humble records compared to their test exploits.
Let me in parallel try to form 4 teams as and when Nufan updates keeping their positions the same as much as possible. Hope it is fine for Nufan and others.

Squad 4: TBD, TBD, Greg Chappell, Javed Miandad
Squad 3: TBD, TBD, De Silva
Squad 2:
Squad 1: