• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's 50 Best ODI Cricketers of all time - The Countdown (2017 Version)

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
22 Richard Hadlee
Total Points: 127
Highest Pick: 8th
2011 Ranking: 20th

The finest cricketer New Zealand has produced, Richard Hadlee was a bowler of devastating control and intelligence. As NZ's spearhead, Hadlee took 158 wickets at an average of 21.56 and miserly 3.30 runs per over. In 13 World Cup matches the record was even better - 19.13 average, 2.88 economy rate. I think Hadlee's all rounder tag is slightly exaggerated though, he was an exceptional bowler who's batting was useful but nothing more. average 21.41 with the bat.

Main Memory: Another player who I instantly think of Tests performances first. I just associate Hadlee with being World Class and that he (along with Martin Crowe) was the heart and soul of NZ Cricket for almost 2 decades.

21 Andrew Flintoff
Total Points: 128
Highest Pick: 3rd
2011 Ranking: New Entry

Andrew Flintoff will be remembered as fondly for his presence as for his performances. Freddie's bowling was always wholehearted and occasionally magnificent taking 169 wickets at 24.38 (SR under 34) and he mixed batting correctly with some fierce strikes of the ball. With the bat Flintoff averaged 32 (SR 88.92) smashing 93 sixes in 122 innings.

Burgey's Main Memory: Genuinely cannot recall him doing a single thing of note in the format. He made three tons, all within a three month period. The bloke isn't an atg, he had one good summer in ODIs. That's it. He doesn't belong in this company on any objective level. I can understand a lot of us are scratching around the chook pen looking for something to throw England's way in this thread, but come on. Flintoff? Let's get fair dinkum. Bloke doesn't belong here.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
So we've recently gone a pair of quicks, aussie bats, all rounders and now time for two spinners.

20 Saqlain Mushtaq
Total Points: 145
Highest Pick: 8th (14 votes)
2011 Ranking: 21st

Saqlain's international career got off to a splendid start, as he was the fastest bowler to 100 one-day wickets. His phenomenal control meant that he regularly bowled at the death. Overall Saqi took 288 wickets at a brilliant 21.78 and his strike rate of a wicket every 30.4 deliveries places him statistically at the very top.

Main Memory: His doosra. Also more of a what if, but can you imagine how amazing a T20 he would have been if born 10 years younger?

19 Shane Warne
Total Points: 145
Highest Pick: 6th (16 votes)
2011 Ranking: 14th

Shane Warne made legspin ***y again. A spectacular big game performer, Warney took 293 wickets at an average of 25.73. I think we all know what Warne was like but I have to say that overall I think his ODI record could have been better. A bowler with as much turn, control and wizardry probably should have taken more than 1 5 wicket haul in 194 matches. Also I very minor thing, but I didn't rate his ODI batting at all as his running between the wickets was often chaotic and his shot selection dicey.

Main Memory: His World Cup 99 semi final performance and in particular the delivery to Gibbs. Also the 1996 semi vs West Indies and whenever he bowled to Cullinan.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Man I hate voting for Warne for ODI lists

While the man was at his peak Brad Hogg was the number 1 ODI spinner of choice.

Saqlain was the man

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting that Flintoff made it to top 25 after being absent in the list in 2011 ranking even though he played his last game in 2009.

Saqlain always a lock in top 25 ODI players' list. Could've been ranked a few spots higher but happy he made it into the top 25.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
How many votes did Flintoff get?
13 in total. If you want to break that down some more..

Top 10 = 4 votes
11-20 = 3
21-25 = 6

I've only been mentioning the number of votes when it is a tie as the deciding factor is the higher number of votes.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Warne's ranking may not make sense if you look at his overall numbers but his impact on those 2 WCs that he was a part of, was enormous, esp. in the KO games.