• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's 50 Best ODI Cricketers of all time - The Countdown (2017 Version)

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When thinking about this I suspected some modern batsmen had been overrated. Now I know some modern batsmen have been overrated #bowlersunion4evah

smash84

The Tiger King
Just saw a bit of the rankings. A little surprising that waqar doesn't even make the top 25 of all time.

jaideep

U19 12th Man
Happy to see Starc ahead of Waqar.Either Haynes or Saqlain is not going to make the top 50.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Two bowlers earlier, now for two batsman.

24 Michael Hussey
Total Points: 120
Highest Pick: 5th
2011 Ranking: 28th

Hussey had to wait until he was 29 before he debuted but he took his chance immediately, keeping his average amazingly above 100 for his first 29 matches. Hussey was a master at looking in control irrespective of the match situation due to his ability to strike the ball cleanly, find gaps and run hard between wickets. He finished with 5442 runs at an average of 48.15 and strike rate of 87.16.

Main Memory: I used to love watching Huss out in the middle in between deliveries. He just always appeared up for the contest. This is what the Mr Cricket tag means to me.

23 Dean Jones
Total Points: 123
Highest Pick: 11th
2011 Ranking: 18th

Dean Jones was an entertaing innovative popular ODI player for Australia. He played in 164 ODIs scoring over 6000 runs at an average of 44.61 and was a key player in Australia's first ever World Cup triumph in 1987.
Deano would treat the bowlers with disdain, walking down the pitch to the fast bowlers, he ran frenetically between wickets and turned outfielding into an attacking occupation. He was a natural showman who was for a while as popular as any other player in Australia.

Main Memory: The brilliant footwork and his 145 at the Gabba.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
pretty sure I was among those who voted Hussey very very high (probably I was the one who had him at 5) and I still dont think Dean Jones was better than him.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hussey is one of my favourites. Though he never got a chance to make a big contribution at an ICC event, he was brilliant for Australia. Loved watching him with Ponting in that 434 match.

smash84

The Tiger King
Hussey is one of my favourites. Though he never got a chance to make a big contribution at an ICC event, he was brilliant for Australia. Loved watching him with Ponting in that 434 match.
Not an ODI but he did arguably play the greatest T20 I innings of all time

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Updated XIs

4th XI: 1. Chris Gayle 2. Gordon Greenidge 3. Kumar Sangakkara+ 4. Javed Miandad 5. Aravinda de Sliva 6. Jonty Rhodes 7. Ian Harvey 8. Brett Lee 9. Dennis Lillee 10. Shane Bond 11. Andy Roberts 12th man Greg Chappell

3rd XI: 1. Saeed Anwar 2. Hashim Amla 3. Zaheer Abbas 4. Mark Waugh 5. Andrew Symonds 6. Shane Watson 7. Imran Khan 8. [wicketkeeper] 9. Malcolm Marshall 10. Michael Holding 11. Nathan Bracken 12th man Jacques Kallis

2nd XI: 3.Dean Jones 5. Mike Hussey 9.Mitchell Starc 10. Waqar Younis 11. Allan Donald

Mike5181

International Captain
Malcolm Marshall really wasn't all that in ODIs. Most of the bowlers in that 4th team should be ahead of him.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I can't remember what I submitted, and whether Hussey was on it. He was such a versatile batsman, he just tried to do everything right. No-one who saw him in the 1990s or early 2000s would have thought you'd see him finish off the innings with the sort of power that he ended up with, unless you bowled bouncers and he was allowed to pull. Just a sponge, who got better and better as time went on. Had a ridiculous start to his career, I remember when him and Pietersen were running around with stupid averages in 2005 and onwards.

I once saw Dean Jones describe himself as "the best ever middle order batsman in ODI history, until Michael Bevan came along. Now I'm just second." This was about 2003.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hussey should be higher. What a versatile batsman. Could bat anywhere. This is a weird list :happy:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I once saw Dean Jones describe himself as "the best ever middle order batsman in ODI history, until Michael Bevan came along. Now I'm just second." This was about 2003.
Lol. He's wrong on both counts.