• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's 50 Best ODI Cricketers of all time - The Countdown (2017 Version)

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Viv was so good that I can't put Tendulkar at 2 because there needs to be a gap between him and other batsmen. Wasim 2 and Tendy 3 for me.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
In ten years' time, Buttler, Stokes and Hales can all make the top 50 with Root and Roy outside chances.

eh? root is a lock the rest are outside chances.

root is batting 3, averaging a shade under 50 and notching a century every 8 games. as overrated as he is in tests, he is equally underrated in odis.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
eh? root is a lock the rest are outside chances.

root is batting 3, averaging a shade under 50 and notching a century every 8 games. as overrated as he is in tests, he is equally underrated in odis.
I don't remember who but few months back, someone was arguing that Root is better than Kohli in ODIs. Root is a good bat in ODIs but not top 50. The top 50 requires quite a few attributes one of which is striking ability. I haven't checked the stats but Root doesn't come across as one.

Kirkut

International Regular
Matthew Hayden's ODI strike rate is 78.96, makes me wonder whether ODIs have become easier today or the approach towards the game has changed.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Matthew Hayden's ODI strike rate is 78.96, makes me wonder whether ODIs have become easier today or the approach towards the game has changed.
I don't like to say this but in this case, it is both. T20s have changed the approach in ODIs and also the new rules have favored a higher strike-rate.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Both imo.

Hayden could strike powerfully but it wasn't his natural game to always do so like Symonds or Gilly. Could often be circumspect, especially early in an innings against quicks.

Mike5181

International Captain
In the last three years Root's strike rate has been 92, 92, and 90 respectively. It's not a Ross Taylor situation where you could argue that the game has changed and it now demands an extra gear or two from him. Roots already operating at a very useful rate.

srbhkshk

International Captain
I think Root is an ATG lock for both tests and one dayers and an easy top 30 player eventually, to reach top 10 in ODIs he needs to find the extra gear in the 40-50 overs phase which is the major thing that separates him from the two top 10 batsman currently. As things stand right now, while Root is still England's best batsman in spite of there being some gun batsman there, as a team it is typically better for them if he gets out somewhere in the 35th-40th over so the others can accelerate,

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I don't remember who but few months back, someone was arguing that Root is better than Kohli in ODIs. Root is a good bat in ODIs but not top 50. The top 50 requires quite a few attributes one of which is striking ability. I haven't checked the stats but Root doesn't come across as one.
I think what they were actually trying to say was that at this stage of their careers (ie looking at Kohli's first x games that coincide with the number Root's played).

It may shock people to know but based solely on that metric, it's fairly accurate - 90 runs more to Kohli having batted twice more and on strike rate Root is actually better.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
I think Root is an ATG lock for both tests and one dayers and an easy top 30 player eventually, to reach top 10 in ODIs he needs to find the extra gear in the 40-50 overs phase which is the major thing that separates him from the two top 10 batsman currently. As things stand right now, while Root is still England's best batsman in spite of there being some gun batsman there, as a team it is typically better for them if he gets out somewhere in the 35th-40th over so the others can accelerate,
yeah i think this is a valid criticism.

equally its something he is very aware of and making a concerted effort to improve. he showed an improvement in the last 10 v bangladesh in the CT a few weeks back. if he improves that part of his game he will have absolutely everything required to be a odi great.

i suppose even if he does improve it, you could still argue with stokes, buttler and bairstow coming in below him that its still for the benefit of the team if he gets out in the 35-40th over.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
26 Waqar Younis
Total Points: 111
Highest Pick: 3rd
2011 Ranking: 16th

Waqar's surging run was a glorious sight - a stunning bowler with 416 ODI wickets. He bucked the 1980s trend of pitching fast and short by pitching fast and full. Not an obvious recipe for success until you factor in prodigious late inswing, which was designed to smash into the base of leg stump or the batsman's toes. In his youth, he was one of the fastest ever. With best bowling figures of 7/36 and a career strike rate of 30.5 Waqar would at times bowl the most devastating of spells, his 13 5 wicket hauls help highlight this.

Main Memory: Toe Crushers at the tail

25 Mitchell Starc
Total Points: 119
Highest Pick: 6th
2011 Ranking: New Entry

Mitchell Starc takes wickets for fun in ODIs - He is the fastest bowler ever to take 100 wickets and he takes a wicket every 25 deliveries a remarkable achievement so far. His 2015 World Cup performances will be remembered forever as at times Starc was unplayable. His inswingers rattling stumps and trapping batsmen in front throughout the competition. Not surprisingly he was named Player of the Tournament for his 22 victims at 10.18.

Main Memory: Clean bowling McCullum in the first over of the World Cup Final.