• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AB de Villiers expected to retire from tests

SeamUp

International Coach
Disappointing he isn't getting a swansong series. But we needed this sorting.

But two test series wins in Australia and England each. Wins in Pakistan & Sri Lanka. Draws in UAE and India with big double hundreds where most other teams have failed badly. Often remember him scoring hundreds on a spicy Wanderers when others were struggling. Been a really good test career.

Played a 100 tests straight from debut. Opened initially because as a teenager it was his only way into a good Titans side with a middle order of Daryll Cullinan, Zander de Bruyn, Gerald Dros & Justin Kemp. Before he knew it he was debuting v England & coming into a team which was lacking direction for the first time since re-admission & scoring a 50 on debut and a 100 in debut series which was all class. Soo he would be facing challenges of McGrath and Warne as a 21 year-old that certainly tested him where he got many good starts in that series.

Some of the catches over the years have been a right joke. Can think of a few in the first series win in Australia in the slip cordon.

The biggest disappointment for me was over-using him as a keeper in a time when he was clearly struggling with his back. In recent years he seems to be in pain often on the field.

Enjoyed your test career Abraham Benjamin de Villiers. Thanks.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He's only 33 ffs - great shame for everyone and not just SA if this happens - can't they just let him pick and choose which series he plays in?

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He's South Africa's Michael Clarke. Absolute guns at the peaks of their respective abilities but back troubles have ended their careers too early.

I'd be surprised if he had much impact in any form if the game going forward to be honest. Back injuries have a nasty habit of permanently removing form from players.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He still hasn't officially retired so it would be funny if he came back and tore it up in tests after this thread with everyone posting tributes.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
He still hasn't officially retired so it would be funny if he came back and tore it up in tests after this thread with everyone posting tributes.
Well it is a Moonda article so that is very possible... we can all hop and wish. (But sadly I don't think so)

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Does this have anything to do with the quotas?
Not for him personally.... but he may have feelings on the situation if he feels like other players are missing out because of the quotas, and he is not sure about playing. So it may be a factor, but he has for awhile been concerned with his injury and his family life is obviously very important to him. It is probably not one but many factors.

91Jmay

International Coach
He's only 33 ffs - great shame for everyone and not just SA if this happens - can't they just let him pick and choose which series he plays in?
No, he should not get to pick and choose. Play test matches when you are fit, not when you can be arsed/there isn't T20 money to chase.

Has been a very good player, some memorable performances with his ability to change gears as required extremely impressive.

Bahseph

State Captain
I think it's coming. And possibly stepping down from the ODI captaincy as well. Which could benefit him and the team in the long run. All this talk about his future and people doubting his commitment could all be put aside if he is up front about his Test future. I don't think he has bad intentions, and while I'd love to see him in Tests again, the career span of a sportsman is short so maybe he needs to play in a few T20 leagues before his back really gives up. Faf has already proven to be a better captain in a shorter period of time, and the Test team has won four series in a row without him.

An absolute beast of a batsman though
Probably didn't score as many hundreds as he could have but I don't think I've ever seen anyone look as comfortable at the crease as he does throughout an innings. All class.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The Marat SAfin of cricket. Actualy not quite true, but maybe Djokovic? :) The man is just the most amazing batsman to watch, and has a record that can compare to some of the very very best to have played this game. An absolute privilege to have been able to watch him throughout his career and hope he gives himself 1 more year of test cricket and goes out on a high.

Bijed

International Regular
Real shame that it's (probably) ending like this. I can only echo others' sentiments that's he's been brilliant and I'll miss him