• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DRS Shockers

Bijed

International Regular
The discussion regarding the change to the umpire's call rule got me thinking briefly on the related topic of bad calls by the third umpire and what were the best/worst examples people can think of. The ones that spring to mind for me are Khawaja in 2013 and "There's a mark on the bat, but it could have come from anywhere".

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Gilchrist(?) run out I think against SL where he was in, and the keeper didn't have the ball anyway is probably the worst use of technology I've seen by an umpire. Someone posted it here a couple of weeks back iirc. I still think he must have hit the wrong button but I don'tthink it's ever been properly explained.

cnerd123

likes this
Mushfiqur once reviewed a forward defense while he was keeping

Wasn't even bat-pad. Literally full face of the bat, ping right into the middle.

Was very weird.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I remember a game between Ireland and WI at the 2011 WC where Ireland needed 275 to win, and were about 200/5 with 9 overs to go. Then their set batsman was given out lbw not playing a shot to a ball that hit him outside the line. He reviewed immediately, and on the replay it was soooooooo obvious that he’d played a shot (late cut, but he misjudged the line of the ball). I don’t know whether it was because the 3rd umpire was blind or because making a call on the playing of a shot is outside the parameters of the DRS, but either way he stayed with the on-field call. Was a total farce.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Mushfiqur once reviewed a forward defense while he was keeping

Wasn't even bat-pad. Literally full face of the bat, ping right into the middle.

Was very weird.
New Zealand does that on average every second test match.

srbhkshk

International Captain
There was one in the very early stages (at that time it was up to the on field umpires to accept or decline the DRS decisions) when Yuvi was bowling and appealed for an lbw which was turned down by Billy Bowden, India reviewed and the ball was hitting the middle of the middle, Billy refused to change his decision though. Was one of the instances which hardened India's stance against DRS initially.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tbf that sounds like Bowden in general. I watched the eight-hour highlights video of the 2005 Ashes yesterday. There were some appalling and potentially series changing decisions there. Bowden seemed to give a outsized proportion of them.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
New Zealand does that on average every second test match.
This is true. I thought Baz was bad but Kane took it to horrendous new levels in the SA Test series.

And the answer to this thread is Adelaide, 1st day night Test. Nigel ****ing Llong. The batsman is standing on the boundary's edge and the stupid **** still can't figure it out.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
This was before reviews came in but when the umpires could just check run outs. In the 1996 World Cuo QF against Sri Lanka Robin Smith was given out incorrectly. It's been suggested that the third umpire later confessed to pressing the wrong button.