• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Henry Blofeld to retire........

burr

State Vice-Captain
It was time but I'll still miss him. Fortunately, the quality of TMS commentators is still superb overall, unlike ABC grandstand.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not quite the "happy retirement" and "thanks for the memories" sentiment that I was hoping for - but I guess he's not for everyone. :D
I used to like Blowers, until I realised he was the brother of Mr Justice Blofeld, so despicable a man that he even managed to colour my view of his sibling

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Should have gone years ago.

The first rule of spots commentating (and I've been told this by a professional) is to accurately identify the players and describe the action.

He has been awful at that for some time.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I'm with FJ and BP on this one. Never bought into the appeal at all. Compared to Brian Johnstone, who was genuinely charming and witty, as well as actually being able to do his job properly.

Bijed

International Regular
I can see why people wouldn't like Blowers (to be honest I personally only enjoy him in small doses) and there's certainly valid criticisms to be leveled at him these days, but I'll miss him

Howe_zat

Audio File
Not sure how I feel about Blowers but initial thoughts are that he was something unique in cricket and every time we get a little bit closer to everything in the sport being the same I will get sad.

In an age where being a well known ex-player gives you license to say whatever **** you like and be fawned over for it, someone who was principally known as a commentator in his own right is someone to be valued.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I remember as a kid reading about him on Sportstar. Apparently he was famous in India as he was used to noticing and describing ladies' earrings during commentary on test matches in India on AIR (All India Radio). Definitely the first pure commentator who got an article on Sportstar that I remember, for his commentary. Hope he enjoys his golden years with good health.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My mother always used to complain that he needs to clear his throat. :laugh:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah I know he was not actually all that good at his job but he is a huge part of TMS and hence my childhood. Aggers is the only one left now really.

Midwinter

State Captain
Always liked him for the variety he brought to the broadcast not only in style of commentary but the view of the game and its setting.

Probably overdid the No 49 bus and the pigeons in the latter part of his time but generally entertaining and occasionally thought provoking.

Thanks Henry.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Those calling him out for talking too much non-cricket have missed what his appeal is, especially via the medium of radio.

He, teamed up with Coney on TMS made any Test match riveting.

Will miss him.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
really sad to see him go but love his mantra that its a good time to go when the crowd want you to carry on rather than to see the back of you.. absolute gentleman.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Those calling him out for talking too much non-cricket have missed what his appeal is, especially via the medium of radio.
Others do non cricket stuff and it's fine.

The issue with Bofeld is when he DOES talk about the cricket he consistently gets things badly wrong.