• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Henry Blofeld to retire........

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Never really liked him but at least 10 years too late in any case. Most of the time with him on commentary you have no idea what is going on in the game and even when he does happen to mention the actual cricket it is more surprising if he calls a player's name right than wrong.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Should have gone years ago.

The first rule of spots commentating (and I've been told this by a professional) is to accurately identify the players and describe the action.

He has been awful at that for some time.
Were you umpiring said professional commentator at the time he told you this?

Howe_zat

Audio File
I'll miss the old goof.

Here's a man who genuinely loved every second he spent with cricket and gave those of us who thought the same a bit of company while listening in. I remember when staying up late to listen to Broad's finest hour in 2015 and when he took his fifth I remember Blowers' voice cracking with excitement while saying 'unbelievable!'. I though, yeah, I'm with you blowers. I sodding love cricket too.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No fan of Blowers but you can't deny he's clearly generous natured and affable bloke who has thoroughly enjoyed his life - how he can have a sibling as deeply unpleasant and singularly lacking in the milk of human kindness as he has is quite beyond me

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Just watching the highlights and noted his standing ovation - is my memory playing tricks on me or did Richie Benaud's final bit of UK broadcasting go out live to the ground?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'll miss the old goof.

Here's a man who genuinely loved every second he spent with cricket and gave those of us who thought the same a bit of company while listening in. I remember when staying up late to listen to Broad's finest hour in 2015 and when he took his fifth I remember Blowers' voice cracking with excitement while saying 'unbelievable!'. I though, yeah, I'm with you blowers. I sodding love cricket too.
Were you overseas or am I getting confused?

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Just watching the highlights and noted his standing ovation - is my memory playing tricks on me or did Richie Benaud's final bit of UK broadcasting go out live to the ground?
Announcement made at the ground but they didn't air his commentary stint.

Some very good memories in this little piece.....

Howe_zat

Audio File
Were you overseas or am I getting confused?
Yeah I was in New Zealand. I was staying in a lodge in the mountains and remember trying to buy more wi-fi vouchers from reception in the middle of the night. I actually ended up just grabbing some from the box and leaving $20 on the desk, assuming people would be understanding of the urgency.

Howe_zat

Audio File
It's not geoblocked, it's behind a paywall.

I'd suggest that while Blowers has been immensely fortunate to have accomplished anything, at least it's happened to someone whose presence I enjoy, and if you're going to rail against privilege there are more important places to start than cricket commentary.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
He was the last link to the old days. I think it makes Jonathan Agnew the longest server on TMS. I guess the relevant generation will get all nostalgic over him one day however big a pratt he is.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
He was the last link to the old days. I think it makes Jonathan Agnew the longest server on TMS. I guess the relevant generation will get all nostalgic over him one day however big a pratt he is.
Yeah it must do, given that Agnew was responsible for the 'leg over' incident with Johnstone in 1991 and no-one else from the current lineup was doing the job then.

fwiw I thought that Arlott's signing off in 1980 was way more classy. Didn't mention his own retirement at all, simply summarised and handed over. Obviously others picked up on it and I think it must have been mentioned over the tannoy; iirc Lillee paused to acknowledge the great man.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah it must do, given that Agnew was responsible for the 'leg over' incident with Johnstone in 1991 and no-one else from the current lineup was doing the job then.

fwiw I thought that Arlott's signing off in 1980 was way more classy. Didn't mention his own retirement at all, simply summarised and handed over. Obviously others picked up on it and I think it must have been mentioned over the tannoy; iirc Lillee paused to acknowledge the great man.
I didn't hear either of them. But I do recall the Aussie team on the field applauding the announcement for John Arlott.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Is Vic Marks still on TMS? Wikipedia says he joined in 1990, before Agnew (which seems right - I vaguely remember him being one of those chuckling with Brian Johnson on TMS the day after the "leg-over" commentary).

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Is Vic Marks still on TMS? Wikipedia says he joined in 1990, before Agnew (which seems right - I vaguely remember him being one of those chuckling with Brian Johnson on TMS the day after the "leg-over" commentary).
I didn't realise that, probably because he's never been a commentator. He's does the support summarising like Trueman or Bailey did in my favourite era.