• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ireland and Afghanistan awarded Test status by ICC

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
WI looked absolutely, completely clueless in that video. Genuinely, like they were seeing a legspinner for the first time in their lives. Strange that they made Shadab and Yasir work hard for their wickets before that, and did relatively OK against Kuldeep Yadav yesterday also.

91Jmay

International Coach
WI looked absolutely, completely clueless in that video. Genuinely, like they were seeing a legspinner for the first time in their lives. Strange that they made Shadab and Yasir work hard for their wickets before that, and did relatively OK against Kuldeep Yadav yesterday also.
Alzari Joseph legitimately missed a regulation leg spin delivery by a foot.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Not just West Indies, he destroyed Bangladesh some time last year as well. If these two teams are to play a test match, won't be surprised if he runs through Bangladesh. But yeah he's not taking more than 100 test wickets and that's an optimistic estimate.

cnerd123

likes this
I really think the quality of cricket has nothing to do with how many matches a team plays. I think it's about how many people would watch. At the end of the day the cricket boards want to make money, and if you earn a load of money whipping Afgh for 5 Tests then why wouldn't you do it?

As I mentioned on the newspod, I think this is a big factor behind Ireland and Afgh getting Test status and full-member status to begin with. Both countries have strong followings and market themselves well - not just to their own country's fans, but to the world in general. The ICC expects that people will tune in to watch them play, thus making them a good source of income.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Yepp that would explain how many times Bangladesh have toured India,Australia and England. Any cricket match featuring Bangladesh will be watched by at least half the nation which would place the figure somewhere around 80 million people. Every match featuring Bangladesh in CT or the WC 2015 saw Bangladesh fans in huge numbers.

7 test matches in 17 years - that's how many Bangladesh have played in India, Australia and England combined.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Did Bangladesh even have a sports TV channel who could afford to broadcast the team when they were on tour?

It's only recently I've seen a Bangladeshi network actually cover their cricket.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The thing with Rashid Khan was unlike other spinners who've turned it both ways, West Indies were trying to defend against and were still getting completely annihilated. He also spun the ball considerably. So fundamentally I see no reason why Rashid Khan wouldn't be taking hatfuls in Test cricket. Particularly with no bowling restrictions.

You would think he's going to average 7 or 8 wickets a Test match.

Burner

International Regular
Out of all the new spinners in town, I've been the most impressed with Rashid Khan too. Think he's going to be a major cog in the Afghanistan train.

Spark

Global Moderator
His googly isn't bad as a "stock" delivery tbf. I'm not sure I've seen too many leggies ever attempt what he did at the end, basically trying to bowl like a regulation offspinner and hit the top of off peg.

He'll need to do a little more in the air at Test level I think.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If he plays Ireland thrice a year for the next decade he's got a 100 test wickets easy

mr_mister

I think they were speculating on whether he'd play 100 tests not take 100 test wickets dear daemon

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Did Bangladesh even have a sports TV channel who could afford to broadcast the team when they were on tour?

It's only recently I've seen a Bangladeshi network actually cover their cricket.
Star Sports struck a deal with BCB around 2004 and became their official broadcaster for all cricket until 2011 World Cup I think.

cnerd123

likes this
Also there is no chance that Afghanistan play 100 tests in the next 15 years.
Black Warrior made the first mistake and then Daemon tagged on.

This is evidence that winning back to back BOTMs doesn't guarantee that people will read your posts properly

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
What mistake? The first post was about whether Rashid Khan would get to 800 test wickets and break Murali's record or not. In order to take 800 test wickets, he would have to play 100 plus tests. There is no mistake here mate. It's all part of the same conversation

Anyone that think that if Rashid is actually 18 and plays enough test cricket and plays enough tests he can threaten Muralis record?I mean,he could have as many wickets as he wants each game looking at that Afghanistan attack.

It's like CW won't even read your posts if you don't win BOTM

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Star Sports struck a deal with BCB around 2004 and became their official broadcaster for all cricket until 2011 World Cup I think.
Well yea see that's the problem. How many people in Bangladesh can afford Star Sports to make advertising on it worthwhile for anyone looking to sell to BD cricket fans?

I'm not sure on how the economics with TV channels works tho tbh. Like, I think it's definitely easier now for BD fans to tune in and watch BD play than it used to be, what with the BD channel that's covering them having youtube streams and stuff. This should mean that there is more money to be made advertising on a series involving BD, but wouldn't that only be on the channel that's broadcasting to the BD fans?

Not sure how that translates to money for the home board. Maybe more companies will now be willing to sponsor a series featuring BD, because they know their advertising and logos will be broadcast out to a fairly large audience. I'm not sure if a big channel like Star Sports or Sky will pay a huge amount to cover the series, given they both probably don't have a lot of coverage in BD. And how much is the current BD channel that's covering them able to pay to cover them when they play overseas?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think Star stuck the deal but it was also available on some other channel in Bangladesh that was probably FTA. Not sure though.

mr_mister

BW how can you make such a claim considering he's young and for all we know in 10 years he might get regular opportunities, regular enough to take 100 wickets. This isn't the 30s, new test teams have plenty of potential opponents now

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Star Sports is as accessible as every local private channel in BD as part of cable subscription which almost every household in BD cities have.

Star Sports would not even strike that deal if they weren't going to make money off it.

All Indian and Bangladeshi channels are part of cable subscription in Bangladesh and it costs like 400-500 BDT per month which is dirt cheap there