• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is each Test nation's marquee Test opposition?

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To get the obvious out the way, I'm doubting many will argue with England and Australia being each others.

Of the rest I'm guessing;

India - one of Australia, England or Pakistan (Indians to clarify)
Pakistan - India possibly England? Not sure
New Zealand - Probably Australia, some may argue England
South Africa - England or Australia, not sure.
Sri Lanka - Probably India, possibly Aust or Eng
Bangladesh - India
West Indies - Probably Australia, possibly England

Thoughts?

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I'll give it a go.

India - Pakistan
Pakistan - India
NZ - Australia
RSA - Australia
SL - India/England/Australia
Bangladesh - India/Pakistan
Windies - Australia/England
Zimbabwe - South Africa

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
England Australia
Australia England
New Zealand Australia
India Pakistan
Pakistan India
West Indies England
South Africa England
Sri lanka England
Bangladesh Pakistan
Zimbabwe South Africa

cnerd123

likes this
NZ's real rival is Bangladesh. The NZ BD series have been amongst the closest that both nations have been involved in for some time now, and NZ are the first side BD started beating regularly in ODIs. Both started as minnow whipping boys that were in the shadow of their more successful older neighbouring nation, both have produced ATG all-rounders who carried the side, both have shown a weird preference for batting deep, medium pace trundlers, left handed opening batsmen, attacking batsmen with no defensive game and left arm spin...

It's a perfect rivalry IMO.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
NZ's real rival is Bangladesh. The NZ BD series have been amongst the closest that both nations have been involved in for some time now, and NZ are the first side BD started beating regularly in ODIs. Both started as minnow whipping boys that were in the shadow of their more successful older neighbouring nation, both have produced ATG all-rounders who carried the side, both have shown a weird preference for batting deep, medium pace trundlers, left handed opening batsmen, attacking batsmen with no defensive game and left arm spin...

It's a perfect rivalry IMO.
And this CT only adds more salt

Daemon

Nah no way imo. Rivalries need a bit more history and are just what make you the most interested as a fan and I'm pretty sure most NZ fans are most invested in series involving Australia.

Deshi fans are obsessed with beating India as well, NZ doesn't really come into the picture there.

Daemon

On second thought you may have a point. For example while Ireland - England is a bit of a rivalry, their rise along with Afghanistan makes that one a bit more interesting.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
On second thought you may have a point. For example while Ireland - England is a bit of a rivalry, their rise along with Afghanistan makes that one a bit more interesting.
I'd say that there are non-cricketing historical reasons at play between England and Ireland though. There isn't for NZ and Bangladesh.

Daemon

I'd say that there are non-cricketing historical reasons at play between England and Ireland though. There isn't for NZ and Bangladesh.
Yes but the comparison was between NZ-Aus / Eng-Ire and NZ-Ban / Ire-Afg.

The latter don't share non cricket history while the former do.

cnerd123

likes this
Yea plus the BD fans and kiwi fans are the most annoying ones on the internet so they have that in common too :ph34r:

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
You'd think NZ and South Africa would have a big rivalry considering how significant their rugby union rivalry is.

Dendarii

International Debutant
You'd think NZ and South Africa would have a big rivalry considering how significant their rugby union rivalry is.
From a South African perspective, that rivalry isn't carried over into cricket, and I think it's mainly because the cricket team isn't as strong as the rugby team. So beating New Zealand at cricket doesn't have quite the same prestige as beating them at rugby, and the most prized cricketing scalps are those of Australia and England.