• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Anil Kumble steps down from the post of Head Coach

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
kumble.jpg

Attached resignation letter that he shared on FB

Officially speaking, he didn't really 'step down' - he just withdrew his application for renewal of contract.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Its a horrible situation. Glad that he moved out but I am just hoping this does not end in more verbal duelling between two cricketeres like the last coach search did.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sometimes the styles dont mesh, Pratters. As I said, maybe it would have worked out if we had Rahane as captain but lets face it, apart from Kohli and, to an extent, Jadeja we really don't have anyone who is a certainty in all formats. And we have invested a lot in Kohli as captain and I still feel personally he will go on to be one of the great batsmen as well as great captains we have had. I dont think you can call him a bad coach. Perhaps the fact that he has had zero experience doing the job is what worked against him here as he probably was not sure how to handle the different personalities in the team. And if that is the case, the question really should be pointed at the CAC and their infinite wisdom that decided that they had to remove Shastri and had to ask Kumble to apply out of nowhere and ensure he was made the coach. I dont like the look of any of these things. Think these are extremely deep waters and its useless to comment and speculate until and unless more things come to light.

Basically, there is zero proof to categorically state that Kumble is good or bad as a coach. The only thing for certain is that his methods and Kohli's are not meshing and hence he has had to move out.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Kapil was a bad coach, Chappell was a bad coach, Kumble was a bad coach. However some how we have Kumble at this pedestal I don't know why. I am pretty sure it was not just Kohli who had issues with him and so it wasn't just a matter of styles. Saying styles don't match is a bit of a cop out.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Zero players from current team have thanked Kumble for being a good and helpful coach for them 12 hours after he is gone. Some times silence speaks louder than words HonestBharani.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
and everything Ashwin, Jadeja and the fast bowlers were telling about Kumble during the home tests were what exactly?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Given how active players seem to be these days on Twitter etc., it would be a tad alarming and unfortunate if none of them thanked Kumble after his resignation and recognized his contribution.

It's been only a few hours though, let's revisit this one in a couple of days.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Let this be a lesson that we don't select coaches who haven't had experience coaching. IPL mentoring for a month should not count as definitive coaching pedigree.