• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official*** ICC Women's Cricket World Cup 2017

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That was difficult, because both were absolute tail-enders...but before that, India had over 80% chance of winning on multiple ocassions imo...They were cruising even when Shikha Sharma got runout absolutely unnecessarily
Yep. I don't think England were favourites until Deepti fell.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Potentially a great day for cricket as it might encourage lots of young girls to try the sport

From a personal perspective, I watched a couple of balls but had to turn it off when I saw the Indian opening bowler run nearly 30 metres and bowl with an Ishant-like action and do a serviceable impression (half rat-power dross)

Still, I'm hardly the target market so it doesnt really matter what I think

Zinzan

Just watched the highlights not having heard the result, and found it pretty entertaining viewing, but jeeeez India did a good job to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory towards the end.

Have to say, the quality of women's cricket seems to have improved more in the last 4 years than it did the previous 10-15 years before that. Pleased to see the sub-continent teams looking more decent this time around.

Good signs for the future of women's cricket with NZ, Aust & SA also looking pretty strong as the finalists did.

Daemon

Yeah the power hitting and fielding appears to have come leaps and bounds from when I last had a casual watch but the bowling needs a lot of work, especially the spinners.

DriveClub

International Regular
Anyone think the boundary lines could be extended longer now? Definitely can have 65m boundary lines now, currently the maximum is 60m I think

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah the power hitting and fielding appears to have come leaps and bounds from when I last had a casual watch but the bowling needs a lot of work, especially the spinners.
Pretty accurate IMO. Also, the match temperament needs to get better. Seen one too many random collapses in the tourney. In terms of chasing Okay-ish totals in big games, women's team's temperament is at the place where men's teams were 20-30 years ago. Nowadays men's team will sleepwalk a target of 229 in 50 overs even in a final unless you are South Africa.

Last edited:

DriveClub

International Regular
Batting is ok but bowling is still of really low quality, pacers struggle to get it over 120 and spinners have to bowl at 60kph if they want to turn the ball

cnerd123

likes this
Batting is ok but bowling is still of really low quality, pacers struggle to get it over 120 and spinners have to bowl at 60kph if they want to turn the ball
Bowling is inherently harder than batting. It relies on natural talent a lot more. I think thats the reason it hasn't come on the same way the batting has. It's a question of increasing the number of girls playing cricket in order to unearth those talents rather than improved professionalism.

Daemon

Bowling is inherently harder than batting. It relies on natural talent a lot more. I think thats the reason it hasn't come on the same way the batting has. It's a question of increasing the number of girls playing cricket in order to unearth those talents rather than improved professionalism.
Disagree. Things like not bowling a waist high no ball every few overs don't need 'natural talent', and I saw a **** ton of those this WC without even watching 10% of the games.

cnerd123

likes this
Disagree. Things like not bowling a waist high no ball every few overs don't need 'natural talent', and I saw a **** ton of those this WC without even watching 10% of the games.
You've never bowled a ball in your life wtf do you know

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Nah it's not that hard to limit properly terrible deliveries to one or two a match, just comes from practice. Most decent finger spinners I play with will rarely bowl a single full toss in a match.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
You are all cynical *****. I thought it was an excellent competition - much better than the Champions Trophy - and that the ladies play the game very well,