• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official*** India in West Indies 2017

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Nah.. none of them are unfortunately decent at #4. I would not mind trying Pandey out at 4 but long term I feel it wont properly work out.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Rohit's biggest asset is that he has the ability totally kill a game by getting a ludicrously big score. Pushing him down the order would completely kill that. There's really no need to touch the opening combination.
I don't see Rohit as the most technically sound player, so him being doen means he faced the new ball lesser and so I support the move of him to 4. I had suggested it in this thread itself a few pages back.

srbhkshk

International Captain
wait wtf Rohit Sharma literally got 100 ODIs of being utter **** before they sent him up to open and all of a sudden he's indespensible

He was called Nohit for a reason

And we're discarding Pandey after 1 bad series literally right after a match winning 100 in Australia against Australia and that's justified?

****ing hell
So it's OK to call him a better player than KL in the middle order because he had one hundred in a series where Batsman scored hundreds for fun? But not OK to say that it's fine to drop a new player after 5 bad matches? Keep in mind that KL has hundreds all across the world , in all three formats, fought almost single handed against Australia on the toughest of pitches, has a T20 century at #5, has a test century in Australia, plays spinners with more ease than anyone in the team bar Pujara.

Manish scored a good hundred in a series where everyone scored runs for fun, then he got chances in the side for 5 matches. 5 matches is a big ****ing deal for any new player not called Rohit Sharma, he proceeded to crap all over in the series and got dropped.

Rohit Sharma is a piss poor example for 2 reasons btw, firstly he came on the scene with a bang and was the unsung hero in 2007 world cup and the tri series in Australia. He showed enormous amount of talent there in negotiating the challenging pitches in that tournament. It was there for everyone to see. Manish has not shown anything of that sort. Secondly, keeping Rohit in the team while he was crapping all around was bang stupid in itself and is not the right template to follow for any player.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So it's OK to call him a better player than KL in the middle order because he had one hundred in a series where Batsman scored hundreds for fun? But not OK to say that it's fine to drop a new player after 5 bad matches? Keep in mind that KL has hundreds all across the world , in all three formats, fought almost single handed against Australia on the toughest of pitches, has a T20 century at #5, has a test century in Australia, plays spinners with more ease than anyone in the team bar Pujara.
No one said he's better than KL. We were discussing #4 options.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't see Rohit as the most technically sound player, so him being doen means he faced the new ball lesser and so I support the move of him to 4. I had suggested it in this thread itself a few pages back.
But it makes no sense at all. Rohit on a good day can get 200 ffs, why waste someone who can do that down the order? We have to find a middle order bat, not try to convert a great opener into one.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
But it makes no sense at all. Rohit on a good day can get 200 ffs, why waste someone who can do that down the order? We have to find a middle order bat, not convert try to convert a great opener into one.
Rohit is often really scratchy at the start of his innings too. He's worth it only because he can go postal if he stays in, so giving him shorter innings seems silly.

I'd sooner just slot Rahul straight into the middle order than move Rohit down there, I think. Pandey would be my first option, but if three openers are the go I'd still not change the current openers.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Rohit doesn't have a problematic technique. Its more of a temperamental issue at times. Has no real weaknesses against pace bowling.

harsh.ag

Yeah, agree that Rohit can-be/usually-is scratchy for 30 odd deliveries. Not the best thing in a #4. KL at 3 and Kohli at 4 or Kohli at 3 and Pandey at 4.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I wont mind Rahul at 4 as long as one of our openers is given the message to get on with it at the start. You cant play to one template in every pitch in the world and expect to be world beaters.

fredfertang

So Chris Gayle plays in the T20 match - here's hoping Sabina Park is sold out for it - might make the WICB see sense

SillyCowCorner1

I think Gayle has a cricket pitch and net in his backyard. He's invested in that to always be in form whenever he is called upon. This dude is the real deal!

Bijed

International Regular
I think Gayle has a cricket pitch and net in his backyard. He's invested in that to always be in form whenever he is called upon. This dude is the real deal!
Yeah, for all his faults, you really can't knock his passion and dedication to the sport

Daemon

Rohit was stinking up odi cricket down the order and came good when promoted, why put him back there?

Kirkut

International Regular
Yeah , I'd rather have Rohit and Dhawan open the innings. Plus Rohit is now due for a big knock since his 171*.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
KL
Dhawan
Rohit
Kohli
Why change something that is working well? We don't get slow and low pitches like the Windies everywhere. Nowadays, Most of the pitches are similar to the pitches we got in CT where our top 3 did well. I think Rahul or Pandey should just come in at 4 and leave the top 3 untouched.

cnerd123

likes this
I mean Kohli at 4 and Rahul at 3 works so much better than the other way around.

And Pandey at 5 and Jadhav at 6 completes the middle order really nicely IMO.