• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steve Dunne

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Steve Dunne retired a good 3 or 4 years ago. At his peak, he was one of the best umpires in the world..but it was fair to say his last 2 years were extremely poor and I remember him making some shockers that were quite uncharacteristic of him. So in the end he did the right thing & retired.

I think he was the first Umpire to 100 tests? I know Bucknor recently overtook him.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Thanks, I was thinking about it today & was just about to correct the statement.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sehwag309 said:
Thanks, I usally follow cricketnews but somehow missed this one.

P.S : Chucking Controversy??
Duh!

Steve Dunne was the square-leg umpire in 1995 when Darrell Hair called Murali - and he came in for vehement criticism from many quarters for seemingly not backing Hair up at the time. He was also an on-field umpire when Shoaib was cited for a suspect action and Dunne signed the forms requesting an investigation.

At the time of the second one, his wife was seriously ill (sadly, she died) - and I daresay he felt that he did not need this nonsense at the time. The Murali one is still rumbling on 9 years later - in his book he spoke at great lengths about why he thinks that an umpire cannot call a player for throwing because "It's impossible to tell with the naked eye".

I would imagine that with his wife ill and another possible controversy rumbling towards him, Dunne thought "Sod it". I would.

His book (Alone in the Middle - An Umpire's Story) contains fascinating insights into many of the game-s big talking-points. My favourite bit? Where he says "Remember this. Umpires are not cheats - but the players are."

No what bit of 'Chucking Controversy' do you not understand?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sehwag309 said:
Thanx for the 'Duh', Senior Member.

I meant I never knew about the controversy AT ALL!
Sorry - I thought that it was common knowledge (although to be fair what seems a lifetime to others may be just an eyeblink for old farts like me).

And yes, I am losing my rag with some members a lot - and no, it's not their fault.