• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cronje and his earpiece.

Deja moo

International Captain
During the South Africa- India ODi in the WC99, Sourav Ganguly found hansie cronje apparently speaking to himself on the field. He then found that cronje had a small radio transmitter in his ear, which he was using to communicate with BOb woolmer, the coach.

Ganguly complained to the umps, and the earpiece had to go.

But sachin had already lost his wicket before the cheating was uncovered.

Shouldnt some sort of action have been taken, like recalling the batsman ,since there is a possibility that the communication between cronje and woolmer may have led to sachins dismissal.?

Andre

International Regular
IMO, it's 5 years ago, Cronje has passed on and the result was hardly crucial to the 1999 tournament. Whether Sachin deserved a recall or not, it's not going to happen and it never was. Besides, it has the same effect as a 12th man running on a message as it does talking to a coach through the earpiece - either way the information is carried.

For the record: Ganguly wasn't Indian captain, I believe Azharuddin was (possilbly Tendulkar).

Deja moo

International Captain
For the record: Ganguly wasn't Indian captain, I believe Azharuddin was (possilbly Tendulkar).
Ganguly was the batsman on the field who noticed it first.

IMO, it's 5 years ago, Cronje has passed on
So if cronje was alive now, it'd be ok to bring it up?
Cricketweb wasnt there 5 yrs ago.

and the result was hardly crucial to the 1999 tournament.
who knows? It could have been crucial for India to qualify for the semis.

Besides, it has the same effect as a 12th man running on a message as it does talking to a coach through the earpiece - either way the information is carried.
No, theres a lot of advantage to the earpiece technique.

Umpires do not allow 12th men to run onto the field every over.

The earpiece can be used for the whole duration of the match.

Swervy

International Captain
orangepitch said:

a pretty lame excuse for india not doing well

Andre

International Regular
orangepitch said:
My mistake. Apologies.

That's not what I'm saying, but I do feel there is absolutely no need for this to have been brought up. He's made his mistakes, done his time - now let him be.

No excuse. India played poorly for the most part of the tournament and only just qualified for the Super 6 stage ahead of England.

Not really. All well and good they can communicate but it doesn't take you wickets.

Besides, the amount of time a 12th man will run out with a new pair of gloves or a drinkbottle in a match is more than nessesary.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Were there any written rules against using earpieces at the time? If so, then yes, there should have been consequences. If not, then you can't penalise them for doing something innovative if there aren't any rules against doing such a thing. Until they're told they can't do it, then pretty much can.

Deja moo

International Captain
Were there any written rules against using earpieces at the time? If so, then yes, there should have been consequences. If not, then you can't penalise them for doing something innovative if there aren't any rules against doing such a thing. Until they're told they can't do it, then pretty much can
Then why was he made to remove the earpiece?
If it wasnt against the rules, couldnt he have continued with them for the entire match/tournament ?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Stop!!!!

This farce has gone on for long enough.

Search the ground at Hove for corroborating evidence and replay the later phases of the 1999 World Cup.

As someone said, Gavaskar mentioned the earpiece during the commentary, then Ganguly supposedly complained to the umpire.

How did Gavaskar tell him? Through an earpiece of his ow..... (walks away, whistling)

Sehwag309

Banned
I said Gavaskar mentioned in the commentary (thats for sure). I have no clue if ganguly complained, even if he did, obviously gavaskar couldn't tell him. And why are you mixing gavaskar's comments with what ganguly said, he could have seen on his own.

Anyways, the man's not there anymore so there's no point discussing earpieces

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sehwag309 said:
I said Gavaskar mentioned in the commentary (thats for sure). I have no clue if ganguly complained, even if he did, obviously gavaskar couldn't tell him. And why are you mixing gavaskar's comments with what ganguly said, he could have seen on his own.

Anyways, the man's not there anymore so there's no point discussing earpieces
A bit touchy, aren't we?

Sehwag309

Banned
oh no mate!, not at all. I was only explaining

Feel very sad for the man, one tour to india, couple of mistakes.....and his life changed and then gone

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sehwag309 said:
oh no mate!, not at all. I was only explaining

Feel very sad for the man, one tour to india, couple of mistakes.....and his life changed and then gone
It's all a long, long time ago.

Interesting to note that we have players wired up for the Twenty20 cup and the like for the benefit of the tv viewers.

I honestly cannot see what the fuss is/was about. In another thread there's mention of Javed Miandad's signalling every ball from the stands, so what difference would it make?

Far cleaner than all this nonsense which goes on now - captain talks to bowler, bowler signals for a drink, passes message on to twelfth man. Five minutes later, bowler at the other end calls for a drink, gets the reply and passes it on to the captain.

For 'bowler' substitute 'batsman', replace 'drink' with 'gloves'.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Say, I don't think I ever found out what channel Twenty20 is on... can someone help me out with that one?

krkode

State Captain
Wow, this is one of the most pointless excuses for defeat I've ever heard. Like Swervy has said, this is such a non-issue.

By the way, Swervy, would you happen to be the same Swervedriver from the cricketgames forums? Long time since I've seen you around. :)

Swervy

International Captain
krkode said:
Wow, this is one of the most pointless excuses for defeat I've ever heard. Like Swervy has said, this is such a non-issue.

By the way, Swervy, would you happen to be the same Swervedriver from the cricketgames forums? Long time since I've seen you around. :)
hello krkode, indeed I am Swervedriver..and I am still battling with anand on cricketgames :D