cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Road to the 2019 CWC

International Regular theegyptian's Avatar

Road to the 2019 CWC

Whilst a disappointing semi final in the CT, England need to take the positives from the last couple of years and then build quickly to 2019. They've come a long way in a short time.

How to build to the 2019 WC?

Batting is fairly fixed. Roy, Hales, Root, Morgan, Stokes, Buttler, Ali, Bairstow, Billings. Good chance all of those make it.

Roy will come again imo. He's pivotal to England. Unfortunately for England he came back from the IPL with some indifferent form. Seemed to be moving round the crease too much, trying to manipulate the ball to different places and generally fidgeting.

Buttler's game has kinda stood still for a while. Whether that's complacency, lack of confidence or ambition I don't know. There was the chance to drop him for a game back in the caribbean a while back but they didn't take it. He's still very good imo but I kinda want him to reach that true great level which I feel he is capable of. I've talked about him batting higher. They haven't gone down that route and he hasn't really performed like he should bat higher in the last year. I'd still consider it though. He might need a push to reach the higher levels. Or they might not think he has it in him.

Ali's place to has to come under big scrutiny after this tournament. It was a poor tournament and a poor two years since the last WC. Dawson, Livingstone? or revamp the order/balance of the team?

Bowling I feel like they need to keep looking for different solutions. It's ok at the moment when they pick the 6 bowlers to give them some variety. It's an average attack with no-one outstanding. Rashid still worth persevering with imo. Hopefully a Fisher, Garton, Mahmood or someother comes through to give us some different options. Need to keep an open mind in that respect and keep looking. It needs to improve or we will once again be overly reliant on the batting. Some days you need the bowlers to bail out the bats, but it doesn't happen with the current bunch.

Cricketer Of The Year
    England will have to do what they failed to do yesterday. Adapt their new aggressive game plan to our own playing conditions.

Yet English conditions have been very high scoring in recent times, admittedly some of that due to England's batting itself but supposedly scores going up in domestic cricket too.

Cricketer Of The Year
    Yes but I don't believe anyone was going thrash 350 batting first yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Yet English conditions have been very high scoring in recent times, admittedly some of that due to England's batting itself but supposedly scores going up in domestic cricket too.
    There was a domestic one-dayer where 850-odd runs were scored just yesterday, wasn't there?
    do you think people will be allowed to make violins?
    who's going to make the violins?

forever 63*

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    Is it also the size of the grounds?
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Warner - Lynn - Smith - Head - Maddinson - Cartright - Harper + - Starc - Cummins - Zampa - Hazelwood

Never mind what team England serves up because we just generally win WCs for breakfast.
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    Red Hill is the best philosopher the great on the forum.

Master of the house, keeper of the zoo...
    Not in England they don't.

I'm sure their preparation will be much better for the WC compared to this CT, but you must be a little concerned over their performances in the mother country over the last decade or so.
    You flew out to India
    When your country needed you
    Century on debut ,
    What a find.....

Na na na na na na na na na

Ali Ali Cook , Ali Cook , Ali Ali Cook

Na na na na na na na na na

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDpy9JPZH3E

Cricketer Of The Year
    It's difficult to judge Australia on this trip as they didn't get a full game in.

Master of the house, keeper of the zoo...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    It's difficult to judge Australia on this trip as they didn't get a full game in.
    Yeah for sure, it was very obvious they were underdone in the Eng game and they are a much better side than that. Still don't think their WC history means theyll be any sort of shoe in for a WC in England though.

Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    Not in England they don't.

I'm sure their preparation will be much better for the WC compared to this CT, but you must be a little concerned over their performances in the mother country over the last decade or so.
    Won the most recent one in England ftr.
    RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy 1988-2014. 63* for eternity.

International Vice-Captain S.Kennedy's Avatar
    This is two years! Wood and most of the Aussie pace attack will probably be all knackered by then.
    He (Alastair Cook) and his family are very much the sort of people we want the England captain and his family to be
    Giles Clark
    What we are doing here is future-proofing county cricket
    Tom Harrison.
    We want to make the game as simple as possible for them (mums and kids) to understand
    Andrew Strauss.

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    This is two years! Wood and most of the Aussie pace attack will probably be all knackered by then.
    I think by you mistyped "knackered". What you meant to type was "in their absolute prime".

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend NUFAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Hill View Post
    Warner - Lynn - Smith - Head - Maddinson - Cartright - Harper + - Starc - Cummins - Zampa - Hazelwood

Never mind what team England serves up because we just generally win WCs for breakfast.
    I feel like I could come up with 42 variations of the 5, 6, 7 that would be more successful and realistic then what you've named.

Still, you would have got big money on predicting Renshaw Cartwright, Maddinson, Mennie would be Test Cricketers this time last year so I appreciate the call.

International Vice-Captain S.Kennedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Hill View Post
    I think by you mistyped "knackered". What you meant to type was "in their absolute prime".
    All those bowlers are susceptible to injuries; there is no way one can predict the bowling attack for both teams - that is my point.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information