• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the 2019 CWC

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Whilst a disappointing semi final in the CT, England need to take the positives from the last couple of years and then build quickly to 2019. They've come a long way in a short time.

How to build to the 2019 WC?

Batting is fairly fixed. Roy, Hales, Root, Morgan, Stokes, Buttler, Ali, Bairstow, Billings. Good chance all of those make it.

Roy will come again imo. He's pivotal to England. Unfortunately for England he came back from the IPL with some indifferent form. Seemed to be moving round the crease too much, trying to manipulate the ball to different places and generally fidgeting.

Buttler's game has kinda stood still for a while. Whether that's complacency, lack of confidence or ambition I don't know. There was the chance to drop him for a game back in the caribbean a while back but they didn't take it. He's still very good imo but I kinda want him to reach that true great level which I feel he is capable of. I've talked about him batting higher. They haven't gone down that route and he hasn't really performed like he should bat higher in the last year. I'd still consider it though. He might need a push to reach the higher levels. Or they might not think he has it in him.

Ali's place to has to come under big scrutiny after this tournament. It was a poor tournament and a poor two years since the last WC. Dawson, Livingstone? or revamp the order/balance of the team?

Bowling I feel like they need to keep looking for different solutions. It's ok at the moment when they pick the 6 bowlers to give them some variety. It's an average attack with no-one outstanding. Rashid still worth persevering with imo. Hopefully a Fisher, Garton, Mahmood or someother comes through to give us some different options. Need to keep an open mind in that respect and keep looking. It needs to improve or we will once again be overly reliant on the batting. Some days you need the bowlers to bail out the bats, but it doesn't happen with the current bunch.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
England will have to do what they failed to do yesterday. Adapt their new aggressive game plan to our own playing conditions.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yet English conditions have been very high scoring in recent times, admittedly some of that due to England's batting itself but supposedly scores going up in domestic cricket too.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yet English conditions have been very high scoring in recent times, admittedly some of that due to England's batting itself but supposedly scores going up in domestic cricket too.
There was a domestic one-dayer where 850-odd runs were scored just yesterday, wasn't there?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Warner - Lynn - Smith - Head - Maddinson - Cartright - Harper + - Starc - Cummins - Zampa - Hazelwood

Never mind what team England serves up because we just generally win WCs for breakfast.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Not in England they don't.

I'm sure their preparation will be much better for the WC compared to this CT, but you must be a little concerned over their performances in the mother country over the last decade or so.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
It's difficult to judge Australia on this trip as they didn't get a full game in.
Yeah for sure, it was very obvious they were underdone in the Eng game and they are a much better side than that. Still don't think their WC history means theyll be any sort of shoe in for a WC in England though.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not in England they don't.

I'm sure their preparation will be much better for the WC compared to this CT, but you must be a little concerned over their performances in the mother country over the last decade or so.
Won the most recent one in England ftr.

S.Kennedy

This is two years! Wood and most of the Aussie pace attack will probably be all knackered by then.

Red

This is two years! Wood and most of the Aussie pace attack will probably be all knackered by then.
I think by you mistyped "knackered". What you meant to type was "in their absolute prime".

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Warner - Lynn - Smith - Head - Maddinson - Cartright - Harper + - Starc - Cummins - Zampa - Hazelwood

Never mind what team England serves up because we just generally win WCs for breakfast.
I feel like I could come up with 42 variations of the 5, 6, 7 that would be more successful and realistic then what you've named.

Still, you would have got big money on predicting Renshaw Cartwright, Maddinson, Mennie would be Test Cricketers this time last year so I appreciate the call.

S.Kennedy

I think by you mistyped "knackered". What you meant to type was "in their absolute prime".
All those bowlers are susceptible to injuries; there is no way one can predict the bowling attack for both teams - that is my point.

Red

I feel like I could come up with 42 variations of the 5, 6, 7 that would be more successful and realistic then what you've named.

Still, you would have got big money on predicting Renshaw Cartwright, Maddinson, Mennie would be Test Cricketers this time last year so I appreciate the call.
Yeh hard to say really. TBH MMarsh will probably play instead of Cartright

theegyptian

Moeen since the last wc. 462 runs @ 21 @ 102.89 sr, 26 wickets @ 57.30, 5.24 econ

Batting records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo
Bowling records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

It's not good. Ok he's batting 7 so he's not going to have a great average. My problem with his batting is he can't play low risk cricket if it's required. The Pakistan game for instance when you need him to accumulate a solid 40 or 50 to rebuild the innings and he just hacks one to deep mid wicket. His bowling these days is just a defensive thing. It's fine (maybe even good) as a 6th option on a flat wicket, but when you need some wickets or playing on a more favourable wicket he doesn't offer anything.

With all that being said I don't know if there is anyone better to do that specific role. Maybe they should consider replacing him, or slightly changing tactics/ batting order.

Possibly a run outside the team to let him think about his cricket might be good, and give an opportunity to Dawson, Livingstone, or someone else. Or move Woakes to 7.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Won the most recent one in England ftr.
Yeah, I mean I'm no one-eyed bogan but they actually did win the last world cup in England so the point doesn't really stand up.
The point stands up perfectly fine. The WC you speak of was 18 years ago FFS.......I even mentioned performances "over the last decade or so" in my post.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The point stands up perfectly fine. The WC you speak of was 18 years ago FFS.......I even mentioned performances "over the last decade or so" in my post.
His point was that "Australia win WC's for breakfast".....I don't see how Australia's recent form in England is relevant there.