• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the 2019 CWC

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
England trying to come up with the last 2 or 3 names for their WC squad.

I reckon these 12 are certainties for the WC squad (assuming no injury) - Roy, Bairstow, Root, Morgan, Stokes, Buttler, Ali, Woakes, Willey, Plunkett, Rashid, Hales

Leaves 3 spots.

Probably 2 seamers out of Wood, SCurran, TCurran and Stone

and another spot which might be between Billings and Dawson-
Don't really need another batsman given they've got Hales spare. They might still take Billings given his excellent fielding, good squad man, decent experience, but he's been average over the last few years.
I know others don't think he's got a chance but I still think Dawson has a reasonable chance of being in the squad. Ali and Rashid are in England's strongest side- and works nicely for the team balance with 6 bowlers. They don't want Ali/Rashid going down injured on the day of a semifinal on a turner at Edgbaston and having no replacement, or one of the spinners picking up a little two week injury and not been able to play their default balanced team with two spinners. Dawson is average but he's probably the best backup we have in this posn. It's a shame he got injured in SL because it would have been nice for him to get a run of games to see if he was up to it, and if so make him feel a bit more comfortable. There is a complete lack of decent English offies in white ball cricket at present.

Of course I'm still holding out hope for Ravi Bopara to sneak in as the 15th man in the squad and a fourth world cup for him. Well not really.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
T. Curran & Stone surely going. S.Curran will only go if they choose him over Willey.

That 15th spot has been the unknown for England for some time and it seems like Billings/Dawson have been the ones in the mix. Denly may stand a chance.

Last edited:

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
Sri Lanka

Openers

Sadeera Samarawicrema
Niroshan Dickwella
Dhanushka Gunathilike
Kusal Janith Perera

Top order,middle order,all rounders

Dinesh Chandimal
Kusal Mendis
Angelo Mathews
Asela Gunaratne
Dhananjaya De Silva
Dasun Shanaka
Thisara Perera

Pacies

Lasith Malinga
Suranga Lakmal
Dushmantha Chameera
Lahiru Kumara
Kasun Rajitha

Spinners

Akila Dananajaya
Lakshan Sandaken
Amila Aponso

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hard to see anything other than Australia retaining their title at this point in time.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Wonderful initiative having Bowl and Plate finals, minnows like Australia who have won 9% of their ODIs in 2018 - putting them behind relative powerhouses Hong Kong etc - should be allowed to have meaningful cricket facilitated for them where they are able to achieve success relative to their ability.

the big bambino

International Captain
Australia winning this would be the greatest lol but it isn't so fanciful. Maybe a 1987 vibe happening? It doesn't matter our form's been trash for the last year or so. We basically played England with 2nd rate sides and/or a who gives a **** attitude. We're down batsmen who should make quite a difference to the team when they're back. Thinking a side of Finch Warner Khawaja Smith Head Stoinis Carey Agar Cummins Starc and Haze looks decent enough to win. Plus it gives me an excuse to post a side not including any Marshes, which I'll have to concede for the test matches v India alas. Though Marsh S should be in the WC squad.

I like Travis and he can bowl a few offies but, yeah I couldn't argue if others preferred Maxwell. Not sure what the purpose of Zampa is. Agar can bat. Maybe they should give that young spinner, Lyon a go.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Good here from Steve, posting as he is from multiple WC non-winning NZ.
This is true, and I don't see it being any different in 2019 if I'm being elite-ly honest. At least four better sides than us (SA, England, India, Pakistan). One of those, however, is not 9% Australia.

Flem274*

123/5
this "straya sucks at odis" narrative is nothing less than gambhiring from the west island tbh. you're going to have one of the very best atttacks, at least one of the worlds best batsmen and some powerful death hitters.

i understand you're a nation of big talkers hiding behind the umpires from a deserved hiding but you really don't need to be so negative about your chances, and anyone who thinks JAMODI form in 2018 matters is an idiot.

Flem274*

123/5
it was a forum wide observation tbh

and what gave it away, the NZ in his username or his lack of enthusiasm for your passion of a lemon up the bum?

the big bambino

International Captain
Since he was the one talking down Australia's chances based on our recent form I did wonder how you turned that into Australians gambhiring. Anyway we'll see. I'm not overly worried about our 9% rate. We should have a much better team by the WC with 4 top class performers in the top order to compliment our attack.