cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Road to the 2019 CWC

International Regular theegyptian's Avatar
    I'd go Australia, India and then England as the most likeliest winners right now.

Australia probably have the best allround side when everyone is fit and know how to win, although spin bowling (for and against) might be a liability with the tournament wickets possibly getting more worn as tournament continues.
    India have most bases covered these days- Strong top order, decent fast bowlers, good spinners. Good success in ODIs in England . Maybe biggest question mark is over Dhoni and the middle order.
    England home conditions and batting in their favour but lack bowling, and I worry they'll plateau in the next two years - Some of them don't seem the most driven of players and probably won't be too bothered as long as they are making $$$ in IPL and elsewhere.

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    The whole idea about the all plays all is it replicates the format of 1992 that was universally regarded as the best of any World Cup.
    That tournament had 9 less matches than the current format and 1 less team. Plus, 92 is regarded as the best tournament because of the drama, the excitement, the players on show and Akram. No one goes "oh yeah, I remember that tournament, I have fond memories of the format".
    zorax likes this.

oh yeah, I remember that tournament, I have fond memories of the format
    oblongballs likes this.
    "Cricket is an art. Like all arts it has a technical foundation. To enjoy it does not require technical knowledge, but analysis that is not technically based is mere impressionism."
    - C.L.R. James

Cricket Web Staff Member Black_Warrior's Avatar
    I was too young for that tournament and I still ****ing remember that tournament. I have extremely fond memories of the format. Better than any other World Cup. Ever.
    mr_mister likes this.
    Cricket's moral worldview:

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."

U19 Debutant
    I was just thinking about the quality of players that could potentially end up playing in 2019. Would it be the best, most evenly matched collection of bowlers v batsmen (in hopefully testing conditions) since 1999?

Hasan, Starc, Hazlewood, Amir, Shadab, Plunkett, Rashid, Boult, Wagner and co vs Kohli, Smith, Root, Kane, Warner, Hales, Morgan, Sharma (potentially), Pandya and co

Now I know 03 on paper had some serious quality but a lot of those guys were approaching the ends of lengthy careers. These guys are all about to or are hitting their peak.

Cricketer Of The Year mr_mister's Avatar
    it is an awesome format. Makes the group stage actually meaningful. I'm all for adding more teams but I definitely like the everyone plays everyone format better than groups of 4 or 6, where it's always extremely obvious before a ball is bowled which teams will qualify and which wont
    cricket rules brah

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_mister View Post
    it is an awesome format. Makes the group stage actually meaningful. I'm all for adding more teams but I definitely like the everyone plays everyone format better than groups of 4 or 6, where it's always extremely obvious before a ball is bowled which teams will qualify and which wont
    Wasn't true for the CT was it?

Also, having a round robin does not change the fact that there is a gulf in class between the top 4 or 5 teams and the bottom. Groups or not, we all know Aus, Eng, Pak, Ind and possibly SA will be the teams at or near the top. In the end, a round robin simply increases the number of dud matches.

I'd rather watch a shorter tournament with more meaningful matches.

Cricketer Of The Year mr_mister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oblongballs View Post

Also, having a round robin does not change the fact that there is a gulf in class between the top 4 or 5 teams and the bottom. Groups or not, we all know Aus, Eng, Pak, Ind and possibly SA will be the teams at or near the top. In the end, a round robin simply increases the number of dud matches.

every now and then bangladesh or ireland has a few upsets and takes one of the clearly established top 8 teams spot in the quarter finals then proceed to get thumped in that KO game

those 8 teams i'm talking about (aus, eng, india, sa, pak, nz, wi, sl) could all possibly make the top 4 in this everyone plays everyone format. it wouldnt be a huge shock if any combination of those teams made the top 4. yes even WI vs SL in a final is a more realistic chance of happening than zim or bangladesh making the semis in 2019

Cricket Web Staff Member Black_Warrior's Avatar
    I was just thinking about the quality of players that could potentially end up playing in 2019. Would it be the best, most evenly matched collection of bowlers v batsmen (in hopefully testing conditions) since 1999?

Hasan, Starc, Hazlewood, Amir, Shadab, Plunkett, Rashid, Boult, Wagner and co vs Kohli, Smith, Root, Kane, Warner, Hales, Morgan, Sharma (potentially), Pandya and co

Now I know 03 on paper had some serious quality but a lot of those guys were approaching the ends of lengthy careers. These guys are all about to or are hitting their peak.
    Why Sharma potentially? Easily the best ODI opener in the world at the moment

Has he ever played Odis?

Banned
    I hope Afghanistan don't qualify for WC because they will be rolled by teams like Australia,England,India etc and one Rashid Khan can't make a difference.They just lost a series to Ireland as well

U19 Debutant
    Loving the format for this tournament. Although i still want 14 teams minimum. Should have been two groups of 7 then semis.

Atleast we dont have quaterfinals which is good. Having qf in a cwc is really stupid imo, pretty much makes group stage pointless.

State 12th Man

Sri lanka and especially new zealand always surprise in world cup. New zealand look to be focusing only on white ball cricket these days so should be the best prepared

International Regular S.Kennedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Flint View Post
    Sri lanka and especially new zealand always surprise in world cup. New zealand look to be focusing only on white ball cricket these days so should be the best prepared
    As are England I fear!!
    He (Alastair Cook) and his family are very much the sort of people we want the England captain and his family to be
    Giles Clark
    What we are doing here is future-proofing county cricket
    Tom Harrison.
    We want to make the game as simple as possible for them (mums and kids) to understand
    Andrew Strauss.

State 12th Man
    Especially with bayliss in charge lol. Watches more big bash and ipl than county championship. I'd bet everyone here knows more about english cricketers than he does.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread Information